Talk

Advanced search

reception class reading

(11 Posts)
zlaya Thu 16-Jun-11 14:49:21

Hi, anybody out there clued about ort levels, Ds is in reception class ort 2 her reading record book contain teacher comments such as: "lovely reading, fluent reading, I have enjoyed hearing Ds reading". Book gets changed two times a week, when reading to me at home she does good reading sounding one or two words per page, only new words, all the regular ones she knows by sight, my question is: is she on appropriate level or behind in reading? I do not mean to sound neurotic, it is just that I do not understand it, thanks. confused

ninani Thu 16-Jun-11 14:53:46

Most children in our son's class are level 2 (the ones that can read that is!). That's great smile

zlaya Thu 16-Jun-11 15:00:07

Thanks Ninani, so she seem to be on the right track, what confused me are some other posts here on mums net, kids reading much higher levels, then ort2, I know that one should not compere two children even if of the same age, but hey on can not help itblush

sarahfreck Thu 16-Jun-11 15:58:19

ORT level 2 has a rough reading age of 4 years 6 months to 5 years so very appropriate for reception.

redskyatnight Thu 16-Jun-11 16:42:35

The range of "normal" in Reception is huge. Literally from just starting to read to reading longer texts very fluently. Level 2 is a pretty common level in DD's Reception class. I agree on Mumsnet some children seem to be in schools where everyone seems to read very well very early.

zlaya Thu 16-Jun-11 16:54:18

Very helpful and also I would like to ask if anybody knows what to do with word box? Ds bring these home two times a week and we are meant to read them, some of these are hard, so she has to sound them out first, is she meant to learn how to spell them as well?

madwomanintheattic Thu 16-Jun-11 17:08:02

usually just recognition at first.

BerylOfLaughs Thu 16-Jun-11 17:54:40

I happen to know there is a huge variation in our reception class, ORT1-9 from what I know. I think all those are within the normal range for reception as some kids enter Reception already reading and some can't recognise letter yet.
All normal though and it evens out, I'm sure.

sunnyday123 Thu 16-Jun-11 20:15:35

i think it largely depends on the school. My dd age 5 and 8 months is on stage 4. She reads 18 books per stage (so read over 60 so far) and the teachers make them read them all. This must be mainly for comprehension as each book only contains 2-3 new words. She also gets 2 books per week and guided reading. Some of my friends kids are on higher levels but they haven't read anywhere near the number of books and are not actually as fluent as her. My friends kids may be on stage 5-6 but are struggling and performing no better than my DD would be able to do at that level. Plus i think there's no point rushing it as the kids loose the fun and enjoyment of reading. I wouldn't worry about levels at all - they can all read by the time they get a bit older and it wont matter at all then!

sunnyday123 Thu 16-Jun-11 20:16:18

i wouldnt expect you to teach spellings yet - my DD is only just getting spellings such as when, the, so, me, my etc

zlaya Thu 16-Jun-11 21:08:26

Thanks Sunnyday, that is good point, dd seem to be reading all of these books every single on of them in every stage so far, good point on comprehension as well, dd's comprehension is very good as commented by her teacher and her reading is fluent so perhaps on the long run this way is the better way, no point in rushing them so just to get trough stages quicker. I know that she is getting on just fine, she is very happy at her school and I can tell that all is slotting into place by the the way she is writing, everything she writes she is perfectly capable of sound it out herself, even some of the tricky words, as you say as they are getting older that importance of early reading diminishes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now