Talk

Advanced search

Year 3 Spellings

(9 Posts)
JaneBennet Thu 16-Jun-11 13:43:49

I've been reviewing some of DS's Year 3 work as we come to the end of the year and looking back at the spelling lists. Can anyone give me an example of their Year 3 DC's spelling list please. DS is my eldest and I'm just wondering if our school is on par with everyone else (i.e. some of these spelling words seem ridiculously easy).

Thanks!

Lizcat Thu 16-Jun-11 13:48:27

Give us some examples as lists often vary from week to week. Also there maybe several lists used in each class for different abilities not one single list.

pinktortoise Thu 16-Jun-11 13:49:16

The other week we had words that end es or ies eg classes , glasses, babies, libraries. This week we have 10 that begin with qu eg quaver, quite, quaint. So they are always linked to a rule or sound.

BrigitBigKnickers Thu 16-Jun-11 13:54:36

Have a look here to down load the National Literacy Strategy spelling bank.

It will tell you which spelling rules/ word patterns each year group might be learning.

coppertop Thu 16-Jun-11 13:54:47

The ones my ds brings home are more about learning particular rules for spelling than words for the sake of having a test. The words themselves seem easy but the object of the exercise is to teach the rule rather than learn how to spell the actual word. So, for example, they might have "box" and "boxes" which themselves are easy words but the point is to recognise that for some plurals you need to add "es" rather than just "s".

crazygracieuk Thu 16-Jun-11 14:12:46

My dd has hieroglyphic, ancient, British, Museum, pharaoh, sphinx, papyrus, Egyptian, Nile and mummification. Guess what thopic they are doing?

KATTT Thu 16-Jun-11 14:18:20

crazygracieuk

I can-o-pic one idea

JaneBennet Thu 16-Jun-11 15:28:32

Thanks for the feedback everyone, sounds as if we are doing similar lists following spelling rules. That link is fab, Brigit, thanks.

I can tick that off my things to ponder list now smile

loulou4 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:37:56

I agree - fab link - really, really useful - thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now