Talk

Advanced search

Tunbridge Wells, Year 3 admissions

(13 Posts)
SweetDCofMine Wed 15-Jun-11 20:02:00

Hi there. I am looking to move to TW by the summer and I was hoping for some local knowledge about the state schools. I know how massively oversubscribed they are but I was wondering, are there any primary schools more likely to have spaces than others for my DS who's due to start Year 3 in Sept?

If he does not get allocated a school place within TW, do you know where he's likely to end up?

TIA

SweetDCofMine Thu 16-Jun-11 06:57:57

morning! smile

PanicMode Thu 16-Jun-11 08:53:36

Morning Sweets!

As you know, St John's take 6 children at the beginning of Yr3, and I believe St James' do too. Not sure about the others - I think that your best bet is to phone round the admissions peeps and ask them and see whether they have allocated them. I also know that there may be a couple of reception places not taken up in Sept at St J's as there are a couple of families relocating abroad.....

lechatnoir Thu 16-Jun-11 10:17:09

One of my friends moved to TW last March & put her daughter's name down for St Johns, St James', Claremont plus 4 village schools (penshurst, langton, speldhurst & somewhere else I can't remember) and although she had to do a term in private, the first place that came up was one of the village schools.

There are a few of the less desirable schools that I'm sure will be able to offer a place but whether you want them or not is another matter!
LCN
PS did the move myself 2 years ago & had to research primary schools so have a pretty good idea of most the TW & surrounding schools so give me a shout if you want more info.

PanicMode Thu 16-Jun-11 12:35:34

I didn't mention the village schools as I know that driving is an issue - but you are more likely to get into one of those I would have thought.

SweetDCofMine Thu 16-Jun-11 13:39:20

Morning both! I have been informed by the council that there might be spaces in the following:

Borough Green Primary School
Broadwater Primary School
St Barnabus CEP School
St Marks CEP School
Sherwood Park Primary School

From what little I've learned so far I figure I don't want any of those?

lechatnoir Thu 16-Jun-11 14:34:44

I don't know about Borough Green but the others definitely weren't on my list wink

southernbelle77 Thu 16-Jun-11 16:43:14

Borough Green would be a long way to go to from TW for Primary School. Best friend did it for Secondary and it was a pain even then!

PanicMode Thu 16-Jun-11 19:18:08

Um no, is the short answer......

13lucky Thu 16-Jun-11 20:50:16

Have you tried Pembury?

SweetDCofMine Fri 17-Jun-11 10:47:59

No, I haven't tried anywhere outside TW because I really want a primary within TW, but I don't want a bad or even average one obviously.

PanicMode Fri 17-Jun-11 16:13:19

The thing is that it's really difficult to advise because the situation changes every year - last year St James and Bishops Down took extra classes in Reception - but it's not clear whether they will do so next year. The fact that they did changed the catchments for the other schools. Until last year, our road was a banker for the school, this year our road and roads even closer didn't get a look in...I think though it is unlikely that you will get your chosen school for them this coming September.

I honestly think that your best bet is going to be renting as close to your chosen school as possible (as I think I said, a friend of mine moved 3 times in 6 months to get to #1 on the waiting list for St John's before buying where they wanted), but it paid off - she got the children in after a (difficult) term at one of the schools on the above list. If you don't think you want to subject him to that, you could perhaps home educate for a term or so?! Or is that a really bad idea?! The one good thing about St J's being such a large school is that there is relatively high turnover and movement. My daughter's class has had 5 new starters during this year, and that's just one class out of the three in the year.

SweetDCofMine Sat 18-Jun-11 09:25:47

Home educating for just one term would be a far preferable option to a term in an awful school!! Thnk you so much for the info, very helpful. x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now