Talk

Advanced search

Relabelling uniform for the next child - do you bother?

(32 Posts)
EldonAve Wed 15-Jun-11 19:31:25

Do you bother relabelling stuff or not?

vintageteacups Wed 15-Jun-11 19:33:07

not if same surname and in same school

thisisyesterday Wed 15-Jun-11 19:35:15

yes.

EllenJaneisnotmyname Wed 15-Jun-11 19:38:22

No, but when DS2 and DS3 were in the same school swimming lessons, it all got a bit confusing!

pfbornot Wed 15-Jun-11 19:38:33

I sewed in all my DS's labels. For some items, I have used a laundry pen to cross out DS's first name and write DD's first name onto the sewn in label (have to have short name to do it!). It does look a bit messy though. So, for stuff like jumpers which are frequently taken off and easily mixed up etc, I do unpick and relabel them with DD's name. Occasionally I will send DD in an item of DS's uniform with his name in, but it will usually be because it still fits him and she is just borrowing it.

tootooposh Wed 15-Jun-11 19:39:44

No, but I resented my mother for the very same thing when i was a little DD2 so really I should...... she didn't even HAVE nametapes with tootooposh on them and I so wanted to see my name in print.

MuddlingMackem Wed 15-Jun-11 19:40:04

No. Theirs is a fairly uncommon surname so they're the only ones in the school. Therefore I only label with the surname, so no need to re-label for dc2. grin

Mollymax Wed 15-Jun-11 19:40:09

Yes, but our school is quite big and my middle dd has a tendency to lose things.

caffeinated Wed 15-Jun-11 19:42:24

I just write the surname only with a fabric pen then no need to alter and also number 2 doesn't realise they are inheriting hand me downs either. Not a term useful tip if you have acommon surname but it works for me.

create Wed 15-Jun-11 19:42:30

Yes, but only because it makes putting the laundry away easier and prevents DS1 going to school in clothes 2 years too small!

ChippyMinton Wed 15-Jun-11 19:44:26

No. Life's too short. And school/cubs etc know they are related.

anthonytrollopesrevenge Wed 15-Jun-11 20:16:48

Didn't til school told me off,

bitsyandbetty Wed 15-Jun-11 20:47:38

Yes but only because I have a very common surname. Wouldn't otherwise.

pointythings Wed 15-Jun-11 20:56:20

No, unusual surname here too, and not a big school. It's enough of a faff as it is.

laiyan Wed 15-Jun-11 20:57:41

never. the school know the family. so why bother? the surname is the same... i might write on in biro somewhere else, but i never bother with the sewn nametags

Maybe my kids school is pretty good though, coz my friend has her kids in their cousins stuff, and it isnt relabelled. and its a different surname.

roisin Wed 15-Jun-11 21:01:24

I re-label some things if I can be bothered, or just cross out ds1's first name with a marker pen. It helps when putting the laundry away. The boys are less than 2 yrs apart, often just one size of clothes. But they do look daft if they wear each others clothes.

Fennel Wed 15-Jun-11 21:06:45

No, I had labels for dd1 and dd2, by the time we got to dd3 I'd discovered the pleasure of just using a fine marker pen. One of those little ways of saving effort.

So dd3 has never had labels. But she does have so many clothes from her big sisters and cousin - at least 3 times as much as she needs - that we don't notice if she loses it anyway.

tassisssss Wed 15-Jun-11 21:08:38

Nope. Dd has been wearing her big brothers nursery uniform for the past year. She's not bothered (yet?!).

We're also increasingly into permanent pen on the care label here.

colditz Wed 15-Jun-11 21:09:15

Nope, because it will always find it's way home.

bruffin Wed 15-Jun-11 22:55:37

Nope, fairly uncommen surname and smallish school.

sugartongue Thu 16-Jun-11 09:58:55

Our school is very fussy about labelling - "will only search for labelled items" but no one else can claim back an item that's labelled for one of my DS so don't see that it matters that the child's got the wrong name...haven't been told off yet

SoupDragon Thu 16-Jun-11 10:01:50

"Nope, because it will always find it's way home."

Or, in many cases. "never find it's way home even if labelled correctly."

Surname only here smile

goinggetstough Thu 16-Jun-11 10:32:09

If it is solely a surname then I might leave it. However if my DS had his sisters hand me downs then I definitely would relabel. Why would he want to be walking round with a girl's name in his clothes?
I write in some items of uniform but mainly use labels. It doesn't take long, but then I am mean judging by previous threads and only have 3 sets of uniform per child and not 5 as many do!

EldonAve Fri 17-Jun-11 08:50:37

Thanks, I'll see if she complains before relabelling

DeWe Fri 17-Jun-11 09:23:41

I remember being stupidly hurt that my mum wouldn't relabel things for me, but insisted on relabelling everything for my brother. I felt not only did he get more new things than me, but he "properly" owned them too. Didn't help that a lot of my sister's year refered to me as "little her name" so it rubbed it in rather.
I can see her logic, but it did upset me at the time. So I relabel most things for dd2, sometimes something is brought into use quickly and doesn't get labelled, but other than that I do.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now