Talk

Advanced search

Meeting new reception teacher today - nervous!

(14 Posts)
NatzCNL Wed 15-Jun-11 10:15:54

As the title says, I am going to meet my daughters new reception class teacher today before she starts in September. DD is my eldest (another DD aged 3.5 and 6 months pregnant with DD3), so have never done the whole school thing before.

Am really nervous about going - and slightly emotional (could be due to pregnancy hormones) as have been in denial about her starting school. I have no idea what questions I am meant to ask or how long we will be there.

She will also be going for a 2 hour class session next month and they will be coming to see DD at home, date to be arranged today.

Is the induction meeting a one to one meeting or will there be a whole class of new kids and parents there too? I have to take DD2 along as not got anyone to have her for me, and DP couldn't get off work today to come too.

Can anyone reassure me? Or come and worry wih me. To be honest I dont actually know why I am worried or nervous, I just am!!! confused

Beamur Wed 15-Jun-11 10:19:49

Don't worry, the idea is to give you and DD a chance to see the school and meet the teacher, have a look round - if you can't think of any questions you can always contact the teacher another time and ask.
It's not an exam, but your feelings are understandable - your baby is growing up!

NatzCNL Wed 15-Jun-11 10:22:54

Thanks Beamur - I loved the school when I went to look at it back in December, and hope DD loves it too. You are right, feels like she is still my baby but school means she is growing up! And not liking that at all...!

redskyatnight Wed 15-Jun-11 10:25:46

As PP says I absolutely would not worry. View it as a time to ask any questions that come to mind (however silly you might think they are) - maybe ask your DD if there is anything she wants to know (my DS was worried about what would happen if he got lost in school) so you can fidn that out. It also gives you a chance to let the teacher know anything in particular you want to share about your DD - what she likes doing, what she might be scared of etc.

JWIM Wed 15-Jun-11 10:27:35

Just think - perhaps the teacher is a wee bit nervous too with lots of new parents and children to get to know. If you liked the school when you visited then go with a happy heart that, while it does mean DD is growing up, she will be somewhere you want her to be.

NatzCNL Wed 15-Jun-11 10:28:48

I hadn't even thought about her getting lost at school - it is a big school. Good suggestion to see what she wants to know, hadn't thought of that either (bad mummy!) Will it likely be a one to one or a group thing? I know I should just wait and see, but been up since 4.30am thinking about it and getting slightly emotional... a bit OTT I know, but just cant shake it off my mind.

NatzCNL Wed 15-Jun-11 10:29:50

Thanks JWIM - that is a possitive way of thinking. It was our first choice and am overjoyed that she got in smile

LoonyRationalist Wed 15-Jun-11 10:36:39

Good luck, we just got a date for dd1's too & I think we are both nervous and excited. It's a scary thing children growing up isn't it!

NatzCNL Wed 15-Jun-11 10:44:47

Thanks Loony! It's very scary, cant believe how quick the past few years have gone, and the lead up to starting school is going waaaay too quickly!
Good luck for next week to you too smile

Beamur Wed 15-Jun-11 10:57:35

You won't be the only Mum/parent feeling like this, at least one of the Mums was in tears during the settling in sessions at DD's school - my DD started nursery at the local school last September, so we've been through this too.
As to it being one or one, or a group - its hard to say as schools arrange this differently - if its bothering you, ring the school, the admin person might be able to answer. Good luck.

sue52 Wed 15-Jun-11 11:11:41

I think this is a really good idea. It will give you and your DC a chance to get to know the teacher and find out what your DD will be doing in the coming year.
I wish my children's school had done this, it would have made the move to school that much less nerve racking.

mamsnet Wed 15-Jun-11 11:16:46

It sounds lovely and really well organised. When my DD was going to be starting (2 years ago now shock ) I sat biting my lip the whole way through the information session. It was in the school's big theatre, I knew nobody, it wasn't the school I'd actually chosen and I didn't want my little girl getting biiiiiig! So I know where you're coming from.

Your setup, however, sounds loads better. When I did get a chance to stroll around the school with DD, find out where the toilets were etc, we all felt much better. smile

NatzCNL Wed 15-Jun-11 16:22:29

Just reportingback to say it all went really well. DD loved her new class and teacher and happily wandered off to see her new classroom without even saying goodbye!!! All the parents stayed in the hall for the information session and refreshments. We didn't get to walk around the school today, DD2 was very well behaved if not a little put out that she couldn't go with DD1 to the classroom, and I didn't cry! So all in all a successful day smile

Beamur Wed 15-Jun-11 17:57:22

grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now