Talk

Advanced search

How far is too far?

(8 Posts)
Flipfloppies Wed 15-Jun-11 00:11:18

Is a twenty minute commute to school (40mins there and back), toddler in tow, too far to go? Our choice is this: very bad special measures school, go private prep, wait for the waiting list lottery and hope there is some movement, or take a place at a good state school next town along.
What would you do?

madhattershouse Wed 15-Jun-11 00:14:42

Walking or driving?? A 20 min drive can be double when the traffic gets heavy and in bad weather.

Runoutofideas Wed 15-Jun-11 06:53:07

I would take the place in the good school for now and stay on the waiting list in the hope that another good option,closer to home, appears.

mycarscallednev Wed 15-Jun-11 08:53:57

I had children at a school I could see from my house. The school failed my SEN son, but thats another story!
We were however always late, despite living so close! My daughter now goes to school 35 minutes away - yes she does get school bus, but that picks up 10 minutes away, and twice a week we have to take/collect her due to pre/after school activity. We are never late - and it sure beats walking in the rain/sleet/snow with a buggy/raincover, no hands available for an umbrella, and little people getting stoppy because they're cold. Maybe not so 'eco', but we listen to stories or music, read books whilst waiting in the car and get home warm and dry. It's really not so bad, you know!

Flipfloppies Wed 15-Jun-11 09:10:54

We would be driving. I didn't think this school would be an option for us as it is so far away in comparison to the schools we were looking at. It is in a tiny village beside the next town, and surprisingly didn't fill up as much as usual, despite being well regarded.
I was resigned to going to the local prep, just around the corner. Had not envisaged having to find money for fees.
Just can't decide how important it is for DCs school to be in our immediate community is to us.

redskyatnight Wed 15-Jun-11 09:45:19

my SIL does 30 minute drive each way. I think she is bonkers but obviously she is now used to it. One thing she does do is stop next to a small park near her DD's school, walk her to school and then take her toddler to play in the park so he is not just sitting in the car for such a long period. I think it is a big investment in time, it makes her DD's day substantially longer and she never has any friends back to play as they don't want to make the journey.

mycarscallednev Wed 15-Jun-11 10:25:42

The friends thing can be an issue, but we find that the children are too tired after school anyway, and do sleep-overs or days together at the weekends. If your child is getting the type of education at a school you feel is best for them, it's always worth it.

Kducks Wed 15-Jun-11 18:35:30

Great question, I am in the same situation, we have been offered a school 9 miles away, so talking 30/40 mins each way on a good day. I think it is too far, but we have no choice unless we go private. We are 13th on a waiting list for our first preference . I am coming to terms with getting on with it as the one good thing is that it is a good school. hopefully at some point before my other child goes to school we have found a place nearer home, If not go private if I see it is effecting my child

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now