Talk

Advanced search

Great, another reading level question!

(13 Posts)
shellye Tue 14-Jun-11 21:18:57

I am not an over anxious parent and don't get involved in levels generally. However, my DD is in year 2 and has just had her reading level assessed by her new school as 10.6. At her current school she is currently on I think ORT 10 which is white???? Tonight she had "Over The Rainbow" if this helps. Surely this level does not correspond with her reading level? At home she reads anything she can get her hands on and we encourage this. Can her current school be so wrong?

mrz Tue 14-Jun-11 21:22:18

Reading ages are notoriously unreliable

lovecheese Tue 14-Jun-11 21:26:47

Isn't reading age more to do with decoding words?

shellye Tue 14-Jun-11 21:32:08

Ok thank you. Hence the reason I don't get involved in levels. There have been huge discrepancies between new school assessments and current school ones. Will just leave her to read what ever she wants and leave the teachers to teach!

Marne Tue 14-Jun-11 21:33:05

We gave up worrying about levels in year 2, Dd1 reads what she likes at home and now at school, she seemed to be on the white and then lime for ages (at the end of year 1 and start of year 2. I wouldn't be too bothered if she is reading well at home and enjoys reading.

mrz Tue 14-Jun-11 21:34:11

Reading test that generate a reading age can be anything from a list of words, sentences reading tests, to a comprehension style test

shellye Tue 14-Jun-11 21:35:21

Now I just need ways to encourage her that Jacqueline Wilson isn't the only author around!

shellye Tue 14-Jun-11 21:38:00

I have no idea what sort of testing mrz but it was the entrance exam for year 3. I would think quite old fashioned testing, still like the IQ result for all kids. And no, we didn't ask the result of that!

Marne Tue 14-Jun-11 21:41:04

I wish i could get dd1 too read Jacqueline Wilson envy, she's reading Diary of a wimpy kid (now on the 4th book) and i have no idea what she's going to read next, she's a tom-boy so wont go near Jacqueline Wilson sad.

mrz Tue 14-Jun-11 21:42:48

The problem is if you did 3 different reading tests they could give 3 quite different results so they aren't reliable (unless you use them yearly to measure progress )

WowOoo Tue 14-Jun-11 21:43:32

Her current school may be a bit off the mark, sure. But so could her new one!

Give her a bit of time and see. Can't you assess her yourself? (ish !!)
This book she's brought home is easy enough for her to read but has some challenging ideas/vocab and she likes it?

Whyy doe she love J.wilson so much? (silly Q but interesting for her response) Can she choose something that might be OK?

shellye Tue 14-Jun-11 21:49:08

Have no idea why she loves J Wilson so much WowOoo. Apart from she has a boring nuclear family only child home environment and she seems to love the complex family life that JW writes about! She has read and re-read all of her books. She will read others but if in doubt will always have JW to hand. Also a tomboy Marne!

mrz Tue 14-Jun-11 21:56:24

She's doing well so I wouldn't worry over reading levels

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now