Talk

Advanced search

levels question for year 4 child

(21 Posts)
Suki2 Tue 14-Jun-11 18:32:38

I've just received my year 4 DS's end of year report. It shows he achieved level 4a for writing, reading and maths. I'm delighted but confused. The report indicates an average year 6 child should get a 4b, but doesn't mention a 4a. Is this still year 6 level?

Are these levels of attainment exceptional, or just very good?

Grateful for any thoughts

MsInterpret Tue 14-Jun-11 19:01:58

Level 4 is broken down into sub-levels, a, b, c, with 4a being the highest (next would be 5c IYSWIM). So, yes he is working at a level expected for the end of Y6, clearly above average.

MsInterpret Tue 14-Jun-11 19:03:10

(But not exceptional, if you take exceptional to mean highly unusual. There will likely be others working at this level, but it is still very good for his age!)

EllenJaneisnotmyname Tue 14-Jun-11 19:03:59

4a is one sub level better than 4b. Very good for a year 4! Will be on track fir a high level 5 in year 6. (The y6 SATs only go up to a level 5) That's not to say he'd get a 4a on a year 6 paper today, they learn more between now and then and have to show more skills by then, but I'd be feeling a bit smug. smile Wouldn't boast in RL, though! They'll hate you. grin

Sassyfrassy Tue 14-Jun-11 19:52:23

I teach year 4 and the age expected level for end of year 4 is a 3B. I do have one or two working at lvl 4 but they are exceptions to the rule. So big pat on the back and keep up the good work. =)

pointythings Tue 14-Jun-11 22:02:25

Your DS is doing very well, working at end of Yr6 level so brilliantly done him - just make sure the school don't let him coast (I'm sure they won't if they have supported him getting this far in yr4!). I don't think he is a mad scientist genius who will take GCSEs at age 9 and go to Uni at age 12, but TBH who wants that?

A good school will support him and keep him supplied with suitable work, it does happen - even in the state sector. I have a Yr3 DD who is projected to get 4a in reading and writing, 4c in maths and her school are confident they can keep her going next year - I have faith. DD1 is at a different school (middle, we are 3-tier) and she is looking at 5B across the board at the end of Yr5 - her school too are able to deal with this. These are both normal schools, not rated OFSTED outstanding at all. Keep a sharp eye out, but you will be in good hands, enjoy your lovely bright DS!

Suki2 Wed 15-Jun-11 05:55:39

Thanks for your input. I've been to see his teacher this morning and she reiterated your comment Ellenjane that he wouldn't get a 4a on a year 6 paper, because he hasn't been taught the syllabus; very interesting, I wouldn't have known that. (What's RL? sorry for my ignorance. Trying not to boast hence posting on here; don't want to tell any one at his school).

She also said he would probably only go up one level next year to a 5c, although I'm not sure why.

Pointythings, absolutely agree, don't want him to stand out from the crowd that much! At the same time, I'm aware that he's much more capable than his peers; he was chosen for the(limited) gifted days held at his school, and Im wondering what, if anything, I should do with the information. I wonder if there's a link between high primary achievement and eg PHD students, or future Oxbridge applicants. I don't work in the field of education, just want to do the best for him, even if that's only pointing him in the right direction.

I don't live in the Uk at the moment, so don't have access to some of the programmes that residents have. we come back for two months in the summer and do intend returning for secondary schooling.

MyFace Wed 15-Jun-11 06:20:06

Well done to your ds suki! My ds got a levels 5 for reading 4a for writing and 4b for maths in year 3! I was very shock but very happy at the same time. His school is not meeting his needs so am a bit sad about that.

MyFace Wed 15-Jun-11 06:34:06

RL is real life suki, and no I don't know where high achievers go later on in life but I am doing research too! All I know so far is that secondary schools in the uk have to clarify who the gifted and talented are in each class and differentiate their work. Sorry I don't know much about it as ds hasn't been identified yet as gifted or otherwise. Which I'm unhappy about actually because he finds his school/home work boring and needs to be constantly challenged

Sorry I can't help much (as he is in private school so don't know how mainstream schools work), and well done again to your ds smile!

chimchar Wed 15-Jun-11 06:41:28

i was reading this with rolly eyes and a hmm attitude because i read that your ds was AGE 4 not year 4!! doh!! grin

well done to your ds...clever lad!!

propatria Wed 15-Jun-11 09:18:32

Are any of these children that have these excellent results doing the renaissance learning accelerated reader scheme,if they are could you say what level the children are reading,thanks.

MyFace Wed 15-Jun-11 18:50:39

What is the renaissance learning accelerated reader scheme? Never heard of it tbh. Sorry.

pointythings Wed 15-Jun-11 18:56:03

I've never heard of that one propatria, I just let them read what they want from the local library - not aware that the schools support this scheme and am definitely not going to do it myself as keeping the kids (and DH and me) in reading matter is expensive enough already!

On the point of early achievement leading to later success, I believe the research shows that there is a strong levelling off effect, i.e. the early developers get caught up by some of their peers by the early teens so that they don't stand out quite so much anymore. Which is a good thing, as DD1 was bullied in her old school for being 'clever' sad. DD2 doesn't seem to have this problem as her year group seems very strong academically so the clever kids are too large in numbers for the bullies to dare...

MyFace stunning stuff from your DS, well done!

newgirl Wed 15-Jun-11 19:02:43

My dd was marked 4a at end year 3 and I thought it meant year 4 level work. Should I talk to a teacher about this? I feel a bit clueless?!

pointythings Wed 15-Jun-11 19:05:52

Nope, newgirl, end of Yr 6 work.

If you're not sure, you should definitely ask the teacher to explain, they should be happy to do so if it's a good school. At DD2's school they have sample sheets of work for each level laid out at parents' evenings together with lists of what is expected at each level - really helpful, you can match it against what's in their homework and workbooks.

Well done your DD!

newgirl Wed 15-Jun-11 19:09:41

Crikey really no idea about this. It is a good local school but they bit reserved with parents. Maybe they assume parents know? I'm going to try and find report as might have got this wrong smile

pointythings Wed 15-Jun-11 19:14:51

newgirl it may be that they are reserved because they know some parents get very competitive about levels and can get quite unpleasant when they think that their PFBs are not being given the right level/should be in the top set because little Johnny is too/should be on lime reading book band - and so on. It can get nasty.

However, if you go in admitting that you are genuinely clueless, need an explanation and would just like to know what to expect I'm sure they'd like to help, you sound lovely and not at all pushy.

MyFace Wed 15-Jun-11 19:22:09

Thanks pointy I feel it is a bit pointless that he is achieving this high as his needs aren't being metsad.(not that I'm not happy!)
I know what you mean about reading matter being expensive I have given up getting books for myself to feed dc voracious appetites. I also go to the library but still get whiny kids!

Well done to newgirls DD!

newgirl Wed 15-Jun-11 21:16:03

Well I've lost the report and she's happy so I'll wait for next parents meeting and think what the actual point of asking is. Dd obviously doing fine without me smile thanks for lovely advice

Suki2 Thu 16-Jun-11 05:56:36

Propatria; I haven't hear of the renaissance accelerated reader scheme either. At DS's level, he just chooses what he wants form the local library, and I usually buy him some book collections for the summer because left to his own devices he'd just read non fiction books. This summer I"ll be getting Lemony Snickets series of unfortunate events.

Newgirl and Myface, fab results for your DC!

propatria Thu 16-Jun-11 09:10:09

http://www.renlearn.co.uk/reading/17-what-is-accelerated-reader-advantage
Its an imported american scheme,being used in more and more schools in the uk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now