Talk

Advanced search

Anyone know the schools in Nottingham?

(8 Posts)
benetint Tue 14-Jun-11 14:26:00

Hello!

I moved to Nottingham just before having DD but not having grown up here I still don't feel I know it that well!

We live in Sherwood at the moment and love the estate we live in, as well as the park, the local eateries, our neighbours and the proximity to the city centre. However I'm getting a bit concerned because all the mums I met on antenatal courses/baby groups etc are now moving out of Sherwood due to the schools. They haven't got a good word to say about the schools here (and most grew up in Nottingham) so they are moving to places like West Bridgford, Chilwell and Burton Joyce.

We live slap bang in between Haydn Road, Seely, Carrington and Claremont School (our catchment is Seely). I wondered if people had experience of any of these schools and if there is reason to move to another area? The only two mum friends staying in Sherwood are both sending their DC to private schools (one to Hollygirt, one to Iona).

Both moving and private education would be a real stretch financially but I would do it if it was worth it. Although I'm kind of hoping you'll come on and say these schools are all lovely and my friends are insane

Many thanks for your help

blackeyedsusan Tue 14-Jun-11 15:21:18

can you afford to move?

go and look around the schools. then look around a few in areas you want to move to. I have heard wb schools are full, so you might have a problem there.

benetint Tue 14-Jun-11 15:29:48

Thanks for your post blackeyedsusan. You mention moving - does that mean you've heard/experienced bad things about these schools?

It would be a real struggle to sell our house for the price we paid for it (a house in our estate recently sold for £30K less than they paid!) so the only option would be to try and rent our house out long term and rent somewhere in a different area. But this would have its financial risks too.

emptyshell Tue 14-Jun-11 16:17:19

West Bridgford came up on here a while back as the school places hit meltdown level - should show up on searches if you look back.

Out of those places the only ones I can probably speak of are around Chilwell - I know some of the schools over the Derby side of the town but tend to avoid anything going past QMC becuase I'm a wimp who hates the traffic system!

treetrunkthighs Tue 14-Jun-11 16:30:29

I didn't ever look round Haydn road as we moved just before I needed to look at primary schools but I think it has a pretty good reputation so dont rule it out. West bridgford is saturated and lady bay is going the same way.

blackeyedsusan Tue 14-Jun-11 18:57:22

risepark is good and if karen slack is still the head you can't do better for a head. may have been reorganised

nowtundercontrol Wed 15-Jun-11 12:58:47

There were over 50 more reception age children in WB this year than there were actual school places. Check back over the threads but I lived in WB and can tell you that there are a lot of young children there and you would need to think very carefully before moving as you may not get your catchment school unless you already have a sibling there and so you would need to move very close to any one of the schools to have a cat in hell's chance... There was something on the NCT Nottingham branch's website about this too... There is also something about the LA changing admisssions so that siblings are guaranteed over in-catchment eldest but call the LA to find out.

benetint Tue 21-Jun-11 14:04:44

Thanks for the info everyone. I can't believe what I've read about the situation in WB, that's really put me off!

Have booked in to see the local schools but I'm also going to have a look at a few further a field just to get a taste for them!

Has anyone heard anything about Woodborough Woods, Woodthorpe, Good Shepherd or Bunny school?

Cheers!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now