Talk

Advanced search

School uniform question

(13 Posts)
Noomininoo Mon 13-Jun-11 22:05:15

My DD1 is due to start school in September & we've just had the order form for the school uniform. The uniform is basically skirts/trousers, a polo shirt and a jumper/cardigan.

The question is, how many of each of these do we actually need? I'm thinking 2-3 skirts, 2 jumpers, 1 cardigan & 5 polo shirts. Does that sound about right? Do you think I need more/less of anything?

Any advice would be welcome.

Seona1973 Mon 13-Jun-11 22:10:24

sounds ok - I would go for 3 skirts. Are you getting trousers? PE shorts? pinafores?

forkhandles Mon 13-Jun-11 22:13:54

I guess it depends on how many washes you do a week. After the weekend I wash midweek so I can get away with three of most things like polo shirts, but when they are younger if they get marmite on the last one at breakfast it's good to have a spare!

My DC in infants have a very light grey school jumper so they need a fresh one every day so they have 3 or 4, my older DD1's is red so she can wear one for two days and only has 2. By the way my DDs much prefer a cardigan to a jumper - easier to get on over hair etc.

Do you have to get it all from the school, or just the polo shirts and jumpers/cardis?

IwishIwasmoreorganised Mon 13-Jun-11 22:14:40

Do you really have to buy everything from them? I thought there was some guidance stating that there should be more than one supplier for uniform?

Anyhow, I would definately get her some trousers for during the winter.

DS1 gets through a polo shirt every day, jumpers and trousers do 2 days if we're doing well! How many you need depends upon how often you're happy to iron!

bluerodeo Mon 13-Jun-11 22:17:27

I had 3 skirts, 3 cardigans and 6 polo tops. Endless tights and socks. No trousers( never wears them) no jumpers

Noomininoo Mon 13-Jun-11 22:31:27

Thanks for the replies. The polo shirts, jumpers & cardigans all have the school logo on them so I guess we'll have to get them from the school (although I don't know if they're allowed to wear logo-less ones - I'll have to enquire). The trousers/skirts I can get from anywhere.

As for PE kit, we've been told to hold fire on that as apparently they'll get sorted into houses when they start & we'll need to buy a kit in the colour of their house.

Definitely don't like washing/ironing & my DD1 is a grubby little blighter so I'm thinking more is probably best smile

MovingAndScared Mon 13-Jun-11 22:53:26

I would check with other mums if possible but I would get abut 7 polo shirts so you stay ahead with washing - and only get about 1 with the logo on - they are so much cheaper with out
Also see if the school do 2nd hand for jumpers/cardigans
And see what the girls wear - lots of places they only wear the cardigan
and I got one jumper for my DS with out a logo for back up- 2pound instead of 6!

blackeyedsusan Tue 14-Jun-11 00:04:58

are you sure you have to have the polo shirts with logo? school has them and we have bought bog standard supermarket ones.

blackeyedsusan Tue 14-Jun-11 00:07:00

i would get 5 pairs of trousers from the supermarket. (orskirts) tights for winter too.... which reminds me, i forgot to buy tights today... grr

Seona1973 Tue 14-Jun-11 08:35:01

we dont have to buy the logo-ed polo shirts, jumpers, etc as long as they get them in the right colour. I have bought the polos with the logo as they seem to last longer than the ones I had before. DD barely wears the jumper so I only bought 1 and they arent supposed to wear a cardigan. I get dd's skirts, trousers, etc from the supermarket.

IwishIwasmoreorganised Tue 14-Jun-11 20:31:40

Same here, our school does have tops (polo tops and sweatshirst) with the school logo on, but we don't have to buy them.

I get ds's from M+S or Asda which are less than half of the price so we have plenty of everything (I'm not the biggest fan of ironing either!)

Hulababy Tue 14-Jun-11 20:34:36

My DD has always had 2 skirts or pinafores, 4 blouses and one cardigan. In the summer she has 2 summer resses.

starsandstripes Tue 14-Jun-11 20:37:31

If you buy from m&s online they have 20% off uniform and free delivery at the moment. They sell two packs of polos for £3 minus 20% thats down to £2.40. I got ds 3 packs. A pack of two trousers and one pair of shorts. He's only at pre-shool for 2.5 days.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: