Talk

Advanced search

Guildford schools - Pewley Down 7+

(7 Posts)
Pearcie Mon 13-Jun-11 20:46:56

Just a quick question to see if anyone has any knowledge or experience of where children (girls) go at 7+ if they don't go on to Holy Trinity. Would be good to know how easy it is to move on to Tormead or GHS.

mummytime Tue 14-Jun-11 06:18:55

A few do go on to Tormead or GHS, or St Theresa's. It will be one or two every couple of years. Far more move on at 11 (something like 2 to GHS, 2 to Tormead, 1 to St Catz, 2 to Priorsfield etc. last year).

However as the schools are the same school now, it is even less likely that most parents will change at 7.

Pearcie Tue 14-Jun-11 11:06:21

Thanks mummytime. We have heard there is an ability gap between Pewley Down at 7+ and GHS and Tormead at 7+ thus making it hard for pupils to make the move. Have you heard anything about this? ie whether pupils have extra coaching to make the move etc.

Pearcie Tue 14-Jun-11 11:08:33

Thanks mummytime. We have heard there is an ability gap between Pewley Down at 7+ and GHS and Tormead at 7+ thus making it hard for pupils to make the move. Have you heard anything about this? ie whether pupils have extra coaching to make the move etc.

mummytime Tue 14-Jun-11 22:50:06

The only pupils I knew who went to Tormead at 7+ didn't have coaching. Some do have some at 11+, but I have known pupils go onto St Catz with no tutoring/little tutoring.
I really think if your DD needs lots of coaching at 7 then maybe GHS isn't the school for her.
It is uncommon for pupils to go to Tormead or GHS, or indeed any other school at 7, so there really isn't much of a sample size. I have known the odd boy become a chorister at Lanesborough; his sister went to Tormead (I'm not sure she was tutored), another went to St Theresa's (no tutoring), some move overseas, the odd one goes to Queen Eleanor's or Boxgrove, another went to Longacre. Over years that I have known the school I can only think of 3 girls who went to Tormead at 7, and none at that age who went to GHS, but there may have been some.
Have you spoken to Tormead or GHS themselves?

Pearcie Wed 15-Jun-11 22:09:10

Thanks again mummytime. Our DD is 3 and we are trying to get a feel for whether or not we should go private now, or send her to Pewley Down and wait for 7+ or 11+ entry into the private sector. We just hoped to get a feel for Pewley Down or Holy Trinity's success at getting pupils into good schools. Your posts suggest that only a few make it into the very best schools which worries me a bit, although maybe that is because not that many apply. Perhaps we should bite the bullet and go private now??

mummytime Wed 15-Jun-11 22:41:07

Most go at 11+, when there is about 7 boys to RGS, and then a handful elsewhere (private). For girls 2/3 go to each of GHS and Tormead, then a number more are spread between: St Catherine's, Manor House, St Theresa's, Frensham Heights, Priorsfield (and occasionally boarding).
On top about 1/3 go to George Abbot one of the best Comprehensives around (including parents who move to Guildford just to send their kids there), up to 1/3 to St Peter's which is very good but getting very hard/impossible for non-Catholics, and 1/3 to County which is still pretty good; oh and at least one or two to special schools. Parents do actually choose state schools over private, and some boys go to Prep school for a couple of years because they didn't get into their chosen state school.

I'm not sure how many either Tormead or GHS take at 7, but it isn't that many. Most start at 4 or 11. BTW I know at least one girl had a place at GHS and her parents rejected it when she was offered a last minute place at Pewley. At 11 her parents choose to send her to St Theresa's, because they preferred it.

If you really want GHS or Tormead I don't know why you wouldn't send your DD there from 4 (if she gets in). Pewley Down/Holy Trinity is a very different type of school, and should be chosen for what it offers. There are other good State schools in Guildford BTW, and some of those get pupils into the selectives at 11 (just they tend to have less demand from parents).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now