Talk

Advanced search

Army visiting school

(75 Posts)
eandemum Mon 13-Jun-11 20:05:33

DD came home today - had had a great time as the army (2 soldiers) had visited and spoke to the 3 classes in her year - giving out stickers, pencils, children trying on camouflage stuff/helmets etc and holding a gun.

First thing we knew re: this was when DD said at hometime said "I want to join the army", when asked why she said "so I can kill people" shock
BUT I do realise this would NOT have come from the soldiers.

Didn't know beforehand about this from the school and if had wouldn't have stopped her joining in.

But is this a bit early for "recruiting"?
or
is it simply a fun visit for the children and great for the school as it is fun and free and the school needs visits like this budget-wise??

BTW DD is 5 and in Reception. What do you think?

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 20:06:52

It's the same as a police visit or fire brigade!!

scurryfunge Mon 13-Jun-11 20:07:33

The Army is part of society, like it or not.

christinecagney Mon 13-Jun-11 20:08:07

Very normal for schools to have all kinds of visitors - are you near an army base or something?

They aren't recruiting - just building good community relationships, as are the school.

boysrock Mon 13-Jun-11 20:10:20

Did you get a letter warning you of the impending visit.
I would not be happy about a child of mine holding a gun. I don't like the imagery. The army could go and visit the school but I dont see that they have to let them play with guns. And yes I do realise it would not be loaded.

JennyWren Mon 13-Jun-11 20:12:56

Our DD's class had a visit from a couple of officers from our local barracks last year in FC (Reception). It came at the same time as visits from the fire brigade, ambulance service and police, under the topic of 'people who help us'. The talk was all about keeping fit and healthy and had an emphasis on teamwork, but, true to form, all the children went home and reported that 'soldiers kill people'... The class TA explained that several of the children in school have parents or other family member who are based at the barracks and including the army is one of the ways in which the school considers the local community and helps build an understanding of what those family members do, should the worst ever happen.

sunnyday123 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:13:41

my dd in reception has had all sorts of visitors like this as part of their 'people and the world' topic - kids love it!

JennyWren Mon 13-Jun-11 20:15:03

I just noticed your point about holding the gun. I don't think my DD's class did that - DD certainly didn't talk about that. I don't think I would have been so keen about that aspect myself, although I am in favour of the visit generally.

Rosebud05 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:16:11

I'm with boysrock on this one.

The army isn't the same as a police or fire brigade visit, if it involves holding guns. Thankfully, guns are not a regular part of our society and it isn't the same as having a go with the fireman's hose.

I would have been very upset if there hadn't been notice given to parents about this visit.

Out of interest, what type of demographic is your school? I ask because our school has a significant number of families seeking/having obtained asylum, having fled from civil war - this visit would have been particularly inappropriate in this context but maybe marginally less so in another.

Rosebud05 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:17:24

Can't they get the delivery man from Sainsbury's in as a 'person who helps them' as my friend's ds's nursery did? grin

LtEveDallas Mon 13-Jun-11 20:18:19

I find it very hard to believe that soldiers from an ART or RRT would have taken a gun (Rifle 5.56mm) into a school. I find it even harder to believe that a soldier would have allowed a 5 year old to hold said (4.5kg) gun.

(hmm)

eandemum Mon 13-Jun-11 20:19:06

Must reiterate DD thought the visit was fab - and I didn't say anything to her to suggest otherwise!

No boysrock we didn't get a letter re: this visit (although this could have got lost couldn't it!!)

And yes I wouldn't think twice/or post re: police / fire brigade visits! All reception years do a 'people who help us' topic don't they - which is good.

wheresthepimms Mon 13-Jun-11 20:20:24

are you sure it was a real gun? Only health and safety and most school policies wouldn't allow a gun on school property, even if it was part of an army visit. Senior schools allow the army to their recruitment fairs but they aren't allowed to take in weapons.

Rosebud05 Mon 13-Jun-11 20:22:02

I think it's safe to presume that the gun wasn't real.

But yes, that is a point, was the info about there being a gun for the kids to hold from a more reliable source than an excited reception child?

LtEveDallas Mon 13-Jun-11 20:23:11

The Army does not have/supply 'fake' guns

wheresthepimms Mon 13-Jun-11 20:24:55

LtEve I was thinking more along the lines of a cardboard cut out I know my DH Btn have these for the kids at families days, as our 5 year olds don't get anywhere near the real thing

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 20:26:33

Doubt it as well. My ex was fully armed on gate duty, guns are strictly monitored.

But police have nightsticks and handcuffs,cool with those are you??

boysrock Mon 13-Jun-11 20:27:43

Slight bias there Ilovetiffany, we're more of a police family than army. smile

eandemum Mon 13-Jun-11 20:28:27

LtEveDallas - ok you are in the know much more than me !! - All I can say is that DD said she needed 2 hands as it was a bit heavy and length was at least from her belly button to past her shoulder grin

wheresthepimms Mon 13-Jun-11 20:28:52

Don't female PCs have pepper spray now? Imagine what a 5 year old could achieve with that grin

MadamDeathstare Mon 13-Jun-11 20:29:53

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

GypsyMoth Mon 13-Jun-11 20:31:36

So,so much more to the army than the gun.....

LtEveDallas Mon 13-Jun-11 20:32:29

Carboard cut out maybe, but unlikely in a school.

These soldiers would not have even been wearing full uniform. Boots, combat trousers, polo shirt and shell jacket only.

When they go to schools/public events they are to look as unthreatening as possible, so even a cardboard cut out would be breaking the rules.

Overactive imagination I think!

(on a family day in a recognised military facility it is a different matter)

MadamDeathstare Mon 13-Jun-11 20:32:38

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

DuelingFanjo Mon 13-Jun-11 20:33:18

oh gosh, this would really upset me. of course it's a kind of recruitment drive.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now