Talk

Advanced search

School transport question

(3 Posts)
rebl Mon 13-Jun-11 10:25:15

The councils website says that the child is eligiable if they attend their catchment or local school and that school is more than 2miles away. If parental choice is exercised and the child does not attend the catchment or local school then it is the parents responsibility to get the child to school.

My ds does not attend the catchment school, it is a local school though in that its the nearest local non-denomination school. Its not the school that was allocated to him by the LEA, that was the catchment school. He attended there for 1.5 terms. It was appauling and they couldn't meet his needs (has SEN, no statement). So we moved him to a larger local school that can meet his needs.

I've rung the council to see if he's eligable for school transport because the school is 2.37 miles away from home. They can't tell me and it will take at least 2 weeks before a decision maker can look at his case. But in the mean time where do we really stand. We moved him out of the catchment school. But that was because the school couldn't meet his needs. The school would never admit they couldn't meet his needs I suspect. They couldn't even manage to use the vital equipment he needs to access the ciriculum though. Does this then fall into the exceptions to the rule? Or is this parental choice?

prh47bridge Mon 13-Jun-11 11:39:34

As you have moved your child out of the catchment school I'm afraid the council is not legally obliged to provide free transport. They may choose to do so but that is their decision.

asdx2 Mon 13-Jun-11 12:51:27

Are you asking for a statutory assessment? I know it won't be immediate but if the school was named on the statement then you'd most likely get transport provided too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now