Talk

Advanced search

Is it totally forbidden to have 31 in a class?

(22 Posts)
emkana Sun 12-Jun-11 22:10:35

dd would love to change classes within her year, but the other class has 30 in it already. Is it at the head teacher's discretion or a law?

hester Sun 12-Jun-11 22:12:03

I thought it was, but there seem to be 31 in my dd's reception class.

Goblinchild Sun 12-Jun-11 22:12:48

Heads discretion, but that's a pretty powerful selling point for a school
'No classes more than 30' If it's part of school policy, then you are going to have to present very good reasons for your DD needing to change.

elphabadefiesgravity Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:16

In infants you can only have 31 in if there has been an exception and a child has been admitted on appeal.

Goblinchild Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:31

If there's 31 in reception, what are the staffing levels like?

LawrieMarlow Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:42

What year is your DD in? If she is in KS2 there is no limit on the number of children in the class although they can only have as many as will fit. Is there any chance the classes may get reorganised anyway?

If she is in KS1 then having more than 30 can only happen in exceptional circumstances.

MrsShrekTheThird Sun 12-Jun-11 22:13:52

I thought 30 in EYFS and KS1, and 35 in KS2
<waits to be corrected>

if she desperately wants/needs to, isn't there a child in the other class that wants to swap? <stating the obvious emoticon?>

emkana Sun 12-Jun-11 22:14:45

She's in year five.

mrz Sun 12-Jun-11 22:17:38

The school can't legally create a class of 31 to move a child from one class to another (reception Y1 or Y2) there is no limit in KS2 (in theory)

Goblinchild Sun 12-Jun-11 22:18:38

Why does she want to move?
Any reason other than her friends are in the other class?

EllenJaneisnotmyname Sun 12-Jun-11 22:18:41

Shouldn't be a problem, legally then, but the school aren't going to want 31 in one class and 29 in the other.

Goblinchild Sun 12-Jun-11 22:35:53

It is also the idea of setting a precedent that will send a cold shiver down the collective spine.
If you do it for one, then all have the right to ask and expect. Which is why I wondered on what grounds she wants to swap.
Parents might not be happy about the lack of balance either, and as a teacher you can split the class 2/15 3/10 5/6
31 is a pain.

prh47bridge Sun 12-Jun-11 23:51:24

The class size limit only applies to classes where the majority of children are in Reception, Y1 or Y2. As your daughter is in Y5 there is no legal limit. That does not, of course, mean that the school will agree to your request.

Hormoneoverload Mon 13-Jun-11 07:33:30

I think it is really unlikely that a school will move a child because "she wants to" unless there are strong social reasons , eg bullying issues of some seriousness to contend with. It would set the cat among the pigeons with other pupils and parents. The class size thing is irrelevant in ks 2. Why does your dd want to move classes?

emkana Mon 13-Jun-11 07:35:56

She's very unhappy in her class due to friendship issues.

RickGhastley Mon 13-Jun-11 07:43:26

One of the schools near me has 33 in each class in some years (area has big shortage of school places) but this was an agreement between the school and local EA for which the school got an extra teacher or teaching assistant.

IndigoBell Mon 13-Jun-11 10:00:48

I can't understand why classes aren't mixed up every year anyway.

But, I've learnt from here, that there are some schools that insist on keeping classes the same throughout the school.....

It's very normal (although apparently not in your school) to move kids between classes every year. So speak to the HT about it. Now's the right time of year to do it. They don't have to just move your DD - they could (if they wanted to) totally mix up the classes...... (If you ask NOW, while they still have time...)

That is one of the huge benefits of going to a larger school. They can remix the classes every year to address any problems confused

clam Mon 13-Jun-11 15:14:47

"It's very normal (although apparently not in your school) to move kids between classes every year."
Not in my experience. Have you any idea how massively complex it is to balance, say, 60 children between 2 classes? To take into consideration gender, ability, SEN, friendship groups, personality clashes (i.e. between children) and so on. After hours with post-it notes and lists, you think you have a balance and then a couple of parents go bananas because their pfb wants to be with so-and-so, which might be one of the very mixes you've sought to separate.
Few schools take on this task more often than they have to.

2BoysTooLoud Mon 13-Jun-11 15:20:59

Classes mixed up every year in our primary - 2 form entry.
Bit stressy for the kids but most seem to settle eventually....

IndigoBell Mon 13-Jun-11 15:21:48

Far less work to take into consideration all what you mentioned and plan your classes, than sorting out issues arising from all that without moving the kids confused........

If they had kept my DS in the same class as X, when they have 2 parallel classes they could have put him into I'd be absolutely furious.....

I haven't got any statistics on how many schools do remix them every year - but it's a huge selling point of my school. And one of the reasons it's so much better than a one form entry.......

clam Mon 13-Jun-11 15:24:54

"Far less work to take into consideration all what you mentioned and plan your classes, than sorting out issues arising from all that without moving the kids ........"

There will be issues in any group of kids.

"Bit stressy for the kids" And for the teachers!

admission Mon 13-Jun-11 17:46:21

No head who has any sense will move a child simply for their "friendship issues", the can of worms it opens up is enormous and once you have doen it for one you have to keep doing it. Yes there will always be exceptions when there is a sensible reason to make such a move but it will stand out and it will be commented on by other parents.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now