Talk

Advanced search

School wardrobe. What is the weather like in London around the start of school?

(20 Posts)
venni Sun 12-Jun-11 14:11:34

Hi everyone. We've finally secured a place at a private school in North London for my 7yo DD. So, we'll be moving from France to London in mid-August. Now, I'm starting to think about DD's school wardrobe. Unfortunately the school does not require uniforms. Might it already be time for cold-weather dressing during September? When does the real first burst of winter occur? As a Louisiana native, I'm used to the winter weather onset around November. In France (for the past 4 years) it has varied - one year DD started the school year in long sleeves and sweaters. But most years, a short-sleeved shirt was okay for the first 3-4 weeks.

JenniL1977 Sun 12-Jun-11 14:14:46

This is Britain, love, so it could:
be snowing
be 25 degrees and sunny
be raining
be raining and windy
be windy
be sunny but not that hot
or, more likely, a mix of all the above in one day.

I know that's not much help smile but really, it could.

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 12-Jun-11 14:15:24

The weather in London and the south of England is often very sunny and pleasant in September. Its my favourite month of the year actually, usually a lot of sun but not seriously hot. The temperature can easily hit 20-25 degrees. It doesn't really start to get properly cold until late October/November.

venni Sun 12-Jun-11 14:46:54

Sounds like I should brace myself for anything. I really hate to leave the shopping for when we get to London (everything will be chaos in our lives). But, due to the range of weather possibilities, I'm thinking that's what we will do! Where we live in France (south-east) it is customary for children to dress casually and not flash brand names. Apparently it's in bad taste to look as though you spend a moment's thought on children's clothing -- it's all muted colors and sensible shoes. From what I've seen in visits to London, little girls have lots more fun with their clothes (red boots, sparkle shoes, pink jackets, etc.)

cookcleanerchaufferetc Sun 12-Jun-11 15:21:24

Jenni has it spot on!

Madsometimes Sun 12-Jun-11 15:34:35

You will need a lightweight rain jacket, perhaps a fleece or cardigan but will not need a winter coat. The key to British weather is layers which can be added or taken off.

LordSucre Sun 12-Jun-11 15:35:35

it will be pleasant probably til the end of sept then it could go either way i reckon

GiddyPickle Sun 12-Jun-11 15:53:28

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

bigTillyMint Sun 12-Jun-11 19:56:40

But Bibbity, that is in SE London. It could be considerably chillier in N London wink

bibbitybobbityhat Sun 12-Jun-11 20:02:40

Of course. The sun always shines in SE London. And we have the hugest stripiest garden spiders on sunny September morns.

Of course I also love September because tis the month of my birth grin.

bigTillyMint Sun 12-Jun-11 20:05:26

Mine too wink

WorkingItOutAsIGo Sun 12-Jun-11 20:09:30

September will most likely still be quite summery and it wont get colder till October.

ballstoit Sun 12-Jun-11 20:13:25

It may be worth checking school website for photos...even when school have no uniform, people often dress their children in uniform type clothes, for ease and cheapness. Would depend how old your DD is.

tvfriend Sun 12-Jun-11 20:13:48

Wouldn't worry too much about it. If you are bringing euros over shopping will seem super cheap so you can check out what they'll seem to be wearing at the start of term and then go on a mega shop in London grin

tvfriend Sun 12-Jun-11 20:14:50

and what ballstoit says...

AlaskaHQ Sun 12-Jun-11 20:20:55

Also worth adding that the English climate is generally mild. I know we do have. Friends in the USA would have an entirely different wardrobe for each of Summer & Winter, and very little that could be worn in both seasons. But here in the UK I have a lot of clothes I wear year-around. The temperature extremes aren't so great here in the UK - all due to the Gulf Stream I think (?) keeping our winters warmer than the latitude might otherwise suggest.

Someone above suggested layering. Ie trousers & a short sleeved shirt, with a sweater if it gets cold later, and a waterproof if it starts raining (it rains a lot at times - but tends to be gentle drizzle rather than always a downpour).

AlaskaHQ Sun 12-Jun-11 20:21:50

(corrected)
Also worth adding that the English climate is generally mild. Friends in the USA would have an entirely different wardrobe for each of Summer & Winter, and very little that could be worn in both seasons. But here in the UK I have a lot of clothes I wear year-around. The temperature extremes aren't so great here in the UK - all due to the Gulf Stream I think (?) keeping our winters warmer than the latitude might otherwise suggest.

Someone above suggested layering. Ie trousers & a short sleeved shirt, with a sweater if it gets cold later, and a waterproof if it starts raining (it rains a lot at times - but tends to be gentle drizzle rather than always a downpour).

venni Sun 12-Jun-11 22:06:48

ballstoit during the months-long school search, I often visited school websites to get a "feel" for the school. Surprisingly, I rarely saw photos on the sites and if so, there were only a few thumbnail-sized pics. It's so different in the States, where some schools blast entire photo galleries of school events. I was wondering if it had something to do with UK laws against airing public photos of minors.

Alaska am so glad to hear of only the drizzle-type rain and not of the torrential buckets of rain that we get in Florida-Texas-Louisiana. When I worked in Houston, Texas, there were many evenings that I could not make the 45min drive home right after work due to the massive downpours and flooding!

Ixia Sun 12-Jun-11 22:32:59

I think layering is the key, short sleeves, with a cardi, fleece and waterproof cagoule, maybe? It's difficult to say really. The other thing is schools can be really hot inside, even if it's cold outside, so DD has a short sleeve polo all yr round.

We're on the Isle of Man (mild climate due to gulf stream), last year DD went back to school in Sept wearing a short sleeved summer dress and thin jacket. This year she has been wearing tights, winter skirt and a cardigan in June !

Michaelahpurple Sun 12-Jun-11 23:13:54

Our school stays in summer uniform until half term winter term (although one can change earlier) and my boys would swoon if put in winter clothes for at least the first month, generally. Just have a couple of cardie and a light coat (eg cotton quilted) and rain coat and you will be fine.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: