Advanced search

Is this common practice?

(39 Posts)
vegasmum Sat 11-Jun-11 20:35:48

Message withdrawn

mrz Sat 11-Jun-11 20:40:39

No

spanieleyes Sat 11-Jun-11 20:40:43

I can't think why they would! For guided reading sessions I group my children based on reading level as it is easier if you have a group on a similar level, but this is not the same for independent reading, there the level doesn't matter surely!

RupertTheBear Sat 11-Jun-11 20:42:04

No it isn't common practice, just bad practice.

vegasmum Sat 11-Jun-11 20:46:22

Message withdrawn

LetThereBeCake Sat 11-Jun-11 20:51:51

"Yes i know it really doesnt matter and dd is enjoying her reading"

It's not fantastic but if she's on orange band then there's plenty of books she can enjoy at home or from the library.

nagynolonger Sat 11-Jun-11 20:52:17

Mine have been out of primary for a while but I have never known this to happen. In fact DC were allowed to fetch books from other classrooms if necessary. No DC were held back.

Elk Sat 11-Jun-11 20:53:53

It isn't common practise.
In dd2's class there are all sorts of reading levels, I have no idea what band any of them are on but would imagine it varies from not reading to reading freely. As far as I can tell they are not grouped for reading at all.

spanieleyes Sat 11-Jun-11 20:55:36

Ok, does she have a reading book she brings home, if so what level is this at?
In guided reading all the group read the same book as we discuss the vocabulary, authors intentions, context etc and the questionning can be differentiated to suit the ability of the child so although the book might be slightly above or below the level each child is working at-as you can never have a group where all the children read with exactly the same degree of fluency/comprehension- the questionning based on it matches the childs ability. For general reading however each child would have their own levelled book which matches their specific reading level

caffeinated Sat 11-Jun-11 20:56:30

Absolutely common practice at my kids school. They too only do group guided reading no independent reading. I find too that the groups aren't very fluid they don't move children up and down. Ds1 was held back in reception because the others in his group weren't ready to move on. On moving into year 1 and classes reshuffled he was moved up several bookbands and the teacher has smaller groups for guided reading. Ifind ds2 in reception being held up by others in his group at this point in the year its just a case of biting my tongue and wait for him to be assessed by his year 1 teacher, in the mean time we have lots of library trips.

Panzee Sat 11-Jun-11 20:57:19

Once I had 8 different reading groups in my class to reflect the different levels they were at. I thought it would be pointless to do otherwise. Holding children back is not something I would do.

vegasmum Sat 11-Jun-11 20:57:20

Message withdrawn

spanieleyes Sat 11-Jun-11 21:06:58

Well, I teach yr 5/6 so obviously slightly different but reading levels in my class ( NC levels rather than book band!) range from 1B to 6C so they can hardly all read the same book! If I followed the practice in your daughters class, my most able reader ( perfectly capable of reading War and Peace and understanding it) would still be on Magic Key!

lovecheese Sat 11-Jun-11 21:25:41

Has it occurred to you that maybe all of the other children in her guided reading group are equal in ability, and it is not the case that your DD is the best? Parents know what their children are reading at home and what they are capable of reading, but in a one-to-one situation with a teacher who is asking possibly tricky questions about comprehension, inference, character behaviour etc how can you be so sure that she is ahead of the others???

vegasmum Sat 11-Jun-11 21:45:02

Message withdrawn

simpson Sat 11-Jun-11 21:54:55

I have to say I have had this issue with my DS too sad

He started yr1 on the 2nd table in reading and I had words with teacher and said he was finding the books too easy so he was moved to top table and is now the best reader on that table too.

His teacher is trying to keep all the kids on the top reading table at the same level (there are 4 of them together) but DS is still finding the books too easy....

TBH as he is an August born and the youngest in the whole year I am proud of him for being so good iyswim (all the other kids in top group are Sept/Oct birthdays).

I now just get library books out for him to read and am pleased that he enjoys reading so much iyswim smile

Desiderata Sat 11-Jun-11 21:56:44

Is it worth bothering about? Really?

If she wants to read Harry Potter, or Jane Austen at home, who's holding her back? We're not talking SATS here.

simpson Sat 11-Jun-11 22:02:59

also she will be reassessed in yr1 so I would not really bother saying anything now tbh....

DontCallMeBaby Sat 11-Jun-11 22:07:01

Do you know that she's reading with expression etc AT SCHOOL? I ask because I realised during Year 1 that DD had picked up a particular way of reading at school which was NOTHING like the way she reads at home. As soon as I realised, and had a chat with her about it, lo - no more notes in the reading diary saying 'DD needs to work on her expression'. It was really weird how much she was actually holding HERSELF back doing this.

blackeyedsusan Sat 11-Jun-11 22:18:55

Dcmb, suspect I have one of those too.

MrsShrekTheThird Sat 11-Jun-11 22:34:43

No, not common practice IME.
we have guided reading as a group activity, and each child has a separate reading book matched to their own individual ability, whether reading scheme or free reader.

My children's school runs a similar system. Beyond that, my own children read all kinds of stuff at home, stories they can read to themselves, books I read to them, things we look at together, comic/magazines etc. Am not a fan of Chip and co, so we cringe grin and bear it when dd reads ORT and hopefully she will move through it fast and be on free readers in yr1 grin

LawrieMarlow Sun 12-Jun-11 08:24:45

There definitely isn't a policy of holding children back in DDs reception class. They have guided reading in groups but for thrift books they take home they read whatever is appropriate for them.

culturemulcher Sun 12-Jun-11 08:41:41

I had a similar experience. It felt as though the teachers thought DD had made good progress in Reception, and didn't move her up a level (even when she'd completed all the books) towards the end of the summer term.

I decided to let it go and not comment - as she was reading whatever she could get her hands on at home, reading with fluency and expression, etc - but it definitely felt as though the teacher/s had decided that she'd done levels 1 - 5 in reception and that that was good enough. It really felt as though by not letting her start level 6 in Reception they thought that she'd appear to make more progress in Year 1.

Funnily enough, just one week into Year 1, she was moved up to the next level.

If it's worrying you OP, why not borrow the ORT 'Read At Home' books from the library ( or buy a set - they're not expensive from thebookpeople )- then you can keep her going with the same scheme at her own pace? smile

lovecheese Sun 12-Jun-11 09:27:16

Vegasmum, my comment wasn't intended to be antagonistic, just that I don't know how you can be so certain about your DD's abilities compared to the others in her group? You say yourself that they could well be reading at the same level now, and is it really relevant that she could read before school and they couldn't? It sounds a wee bit to me TBH that you are a bit miffed that because your DD started ahead you expect her to finish the year ahead of the others.

vegasmum Sun 12-Jun-11 10:34:34

Message withdrawn

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now