Talk

Advanced search

Late appeal

(4 Posts)
Shep83 Sat 11-Jun-11 20:05:19

hi my son got offered his 2nd primary school and at first we excepted it as in 6 months preg and with the baby due in sept it was going to be easier with the school round corner. Well me & my partner have now changed our minds ESP after meeting all the staff and plus our son wants to go to his first choice with the rest off his nursery class. How and what can I do to get him in this other school, I have been up all night worrying and all my son keeps saying that he wants to go to school withhus friends HELP

spanieleyes Sat 11-Jun-11 20:09:36

Do you have any grounds for appeal, other than you don't like the teachers and his friends are going elsewhere becaue those unfortunately are not going to be good enough

prh47bridge Sat 11-Jun-11 22:07:42

The first question is whether an appeal for your first choice school would be infant class size. Whether or not it is depends on the way classes are organised in Reception, Y1 and Y2. If some of the classes would have 30 children in them if all three years were full it will be an infant class size appeal. That means the only way you can win is to show that a mistake was made and your son should have been admitted. The most likely mistakes are that your son was placed in the wrong admissions category or they got the home to school distance wrong. If no mistake was made an appeal is unlikely to be successful.

You stand a better chance if it is not infant class size but, as spanieleyes says, not liking the teachers and wanting to stay with his nursery friends will not win an appeal. You need to show that your son will be disadvantaged in some way if he doesn't go to this school. To use the technical terms, you have to show that the prejudice to the school through being forced to admit an additional pupil is outweighed by the prejudice to your child through not being admitted to this school.

You won't lose anything by appealing but I wouldn't get your hopes up. You probably have a better chance of getting in through the waiting list than through an appeal.

I should note that your son will quickly make friends at his school if he does end up going to your second choice. Friendships are very fluid at this age.

GiddyPickle Sun 12-Jun-11 09:39:20

As prh47bridge says, appealing for a place isn't simply a case of informing the LEA that you've changed your mind and do not want to accept the school you've been offered.
If the school you want is full (ie the legal limit of 30 per class has been reached for Reception) it will be impossible to get a place unless you can show that a mistake has been made in allocations (eg if they overlooked the fact that you do have a sibling there or if they measured from your house but used the wrong address). Obvioulsy you can still get a place from the waiting list but only if someone else drops out and only if you live closer to the school so are top of the list.

If the school you want is not full, you will need to go to appeal and demonstrate why allowing your child to attend outweighs any objection the school might have about being forced to take an extra pupil. Transport, childcare and friendship issues do not count as good reason unless your DS has a diagnosed with a special need that requires him to be with his friends more than other children need to be with theirs. You would need to show special reasons why your child should be admitted as opposed to other children who also wanted that school but didn't get a place and why only the school in question could meet this special need or reason for your son. In short you need to prove why he would suffer from not getting a place more than other children who were also refused a place.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now