Talk

Advanced search

What does your DCs teacher do that gives you confidence in them?

(12 Posts)
b1uebells Sat 11-Jun-11 00:36:37

What does your DCs teacher do that gives you confidence in them and good at their job?

Seeing it from both sides has got me wondering!

b1uebells Sat 11-Jun-11 00:38:04

Should say * makes them appear good at their job!

RoadArt Sat 11-Jun-11 03:00:54

Gives accurate and honest feedback. Feedback is along the same lines as my own observations. Tells me honestly when DC not doing stuff she is capable of. Giving her work suitable for her ability.

WellIShouldNever Sat 11-Jun-11 03:44:45

Nothing at all! DS homework has not been marked since before XMAS!!! Yes he is 6 and not taking A Levels anytime soon, but come on! Since before XMAS!!!
DS reads the Lemony Snickett books, all the Harry Potters, Wind in the Willows etc.. So when she asks why havent I written in his reading diary I politly say I will update it, and in my head I shout "and when are you goign to mark his fucking homework!!!!!!"
I think the "better" kids are just left to it, the SN kids and the ones who don't speak english etc get the attention, not saying they don't need it, but don't clever and good kids need attention from Teacher too?

IndigoBell Sat 11-Jun-11 07:28:58

The only thing that matters to me is if my kids are making progress. So if I can tell my child has made progress over the year, then I assume the teacher was good, else I assume the teacher was rubbish.

Funnily enough my kids on the SEN register have had a lot of teachers who I thought were rubbish, and my DS who is not on the SEN register has always had teachers I was pleased with smile

seeker Sat 11-Jun-11 07:35:54

When we went to look at a junior school for dd, we went into a year 3 classroom that was empty. "Where are they?" I asked ""They'll be back in a minute" the teacher said. "They were fidgetty so I sent them to run three times round the field before we did any work"

He was a brilliant teacher!

seeker Sat 11-Jun-11 07:38:09

'So when she asks why havent I written in his reading diary I politly say I will update it, and in my head I shout "and when are you goign to mark his fucking homework!!!!!!"'

why didn;t you say that - or something like it to his face? It was either an oversight, which he needs to put right, or incompetence, which he also needs to put right.

caffeinated Sat 11-Jun-11 07:47:51

Actually get to know them. At parents evening in November in the first 2 minutes she described my ds to a tee even highlighting the things I have concerns about without me having ever spoken to her about him. Academically he was already in top sets but she has stretched him in those areas regardless as a good teacher should but also worked on other issues like shyness and confidence. Wish we could keep her. I know she hadn't just taken a shine to well behaved and bright ds cos the feedback in the playground is universal.

ragged Sat 11-Jun-11 09:48:58

Helping out in class, seeing how they crowd control & respond to questions and how they talk to individual children.
The way they talk to me when my child has problems, whether they take the attitude of finding the best in my child & nurturing that.
When they talk to parents as a group (meetings about changes, issues, trips, etc.). Whether I can see for myself that they are good at explaining things, public speaking and have charisma.
How my child feels about the work they're doing, whether I can see them making progress.
When my child talks with enthusiasm about something (not just the social side) that they did or learnt at school.
Whether my child generally likes them or not.

Hometime, DS's teacher sent the TA out a few weeks ago just to tell me that he'd had a terrific day, did well on a spelling test, too. It was very nice to not just have the TA coming out to deliver bad news every time!

In terms of undermining my confidence:
If I am helping out in school, and can overhear a teacher having to shout to get class control (obv. not ideal).
If teacher is snippy with me & the kids dislike them, too.
If teachers don't act on my concerns.

I think I could write an essay about what HTs can do to undermine or boost the confidence parents have in them, too.

geraldinetheluckygoat Sat 11-Jun-11 09:55:13

She has taken the time to talk to him, and he likes her. She takes an interest in things with him, and they chat about things like Star Wars. When they have a day where they have to dress up or take in a toy, she looks genuinely amused and interested in what they bring, and I frequently see her talking to them, taking the time to get to know them. If my son struggles with something, she will acknowledge it with him, and also will relate to him saying sometimes things like "I know how that is, I struggle with that sometimes as well" , she talks to the kids on a level. Stark, stark contrast to the previous school where his teacher seemed to struggle to understand or relate to the kids at all, and certainly didn't take the time to get to know what made them tick at all.

Bucharest Sat 11-Jun-11 10:00:02

She is passionate about her work, and passionate about the children. She is 55 and this year, apart from 3 days when her husband had an op (he had a heart attack last year) she hasn't had one day off (despite a throat condition herself that means she can sometimes hardly talk) At parents evening she is the last to leave.
She invited the guy who runs the local children's book shop to come and do a reading project with them, and their option afternoon (where often teachers will choose to do extra maths, or Italian grammar) she did basketball last year, and art this year.
She had all the children reading fluently by Christmas of their first year (no ORT here!) and the children all adore her.

b1uebells Sat 11-Jun-11 10:25:23

Interesting what you say ragged about class control and shouting. The 'scariest' teacher in my dcs school is a shouter but she has very good control and my oldest tells me she leads whole school assemblies on her own as all chn are so scared of her!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now