Talk

Advanced search

And another uniform question

(12 Posts)
Schnullerbacke Fri 10-Jun-11 17:33:04

Two questions really - roughtly how many polo shirts will I need for DD who will start school in September? What about pinafores?

Also, am I likely to need a summer dress for school in September?

Thanks.

ragged Fri 10-Jun-11 17:38:47

wouldn't bother with the summer dress for September.
No trousers?
3 pinafores + 2 polos as minimum, 3 cardigans.
More if she's a mucky puppy.

ChippyMinton Fri 10-Jun-11 17:42:19

Pick up summer dress in the sales, sized up for next summer.
Quantities depend on how messy your DD is and how often you do laundry.
And she will be wearing jumper/sweatshirt over the top for much of the time, so you'll probably need a couple of those.
I'd say 5 shirts, 2 skirts/pinafores, 2 jumpers.

yousankmybattleship Fri 10-Jun-11 17:45:52

My DD wore her summer dresses for a few weeks in reception - I agree try and get in the sales. I have managed with two pinafores, two polo shirts and two cardigans. Make sure everything (especially cardigans) are labelled or you will need more!

LunarRose Fri 10-Jun-11 17:47:44

second Chippy minton - although I wouldn't bother with the summer dress (DD had grown way too much over the year to have judged it right!!!)

Schnullerbacke Fri 10-Jun-11 17:49:17

Thanks guys, thats a big help.

And no, no trousers. Heavens forbid I should even mutter the word and how dare I even suggest it for a uniform...(Does her best whiney voice impression of DD: I dont like trousers, wahhhhhhhhhhh).

ragged Fri 10-Jun-11 17:56:19

DD wouldn't wear anything but pinafores when she started school, too.
Now she's y4 and won't wear anything but trousers.

swash Fri 10-Jun-11 18:02:26

I would also say 5 shirts; 2 skirts/pinafores; 2 cardigans rather than jumpers, which mine won't wear. I wouldn't bother with a summer dress and I wouldn't get trousers unless she is a real tomboy (trousers = juniors in our house).

oneofthosedays Fri 10-Jun-11 18:02:34

I've found 3 to be about right for DD but she's not very messy and on packed lunches which helps banish random orange stains. She will wear 2 sets of uniform per week with one spare.

mycatoscar Fri 10-Jun-11 18:16:57

my dd started in sept and i bought lots of uniform only for her to get by with 2/3 polo shirts a week and 2 skirts/pinafores. I would still say get at least 3 of each so she can have one on, one in the wash and one for the next day if you see what i mean. I got given several summer dresses, wouldnt bother buying new ones for sept unless you get them in a bigger size.

ohand 5 pairs of tights/long socks/ankle socks have lasted all year too

tomhardyismydh Fri 10-Jun-11 18:22:46

my dd is wearing the summer dress that I bought for starting, also, a size up as she has grown loads and now its a bit short. I have bought a few more in the charity shops.

I got one school logo polo shirt and a pack of 5 blouses from asda, I think for about £8, the blouses wash up far better and easier to get the pen and board marker ink out of.

2 trousers, 1 pini and 2 skirts, also picked up 2 more skirts sizes up from a charity shop.

dikkertjedap Fri 10-Jun-11 18:25:06

I think it depends how messy she is and whether she will have hot school dinner and is a messy eater. Also, would you mind doing an extra wash during the week?

I bought six polos (two 3-packs), 4 trousers, 2 pinafores, 3 pairs of tights, 4 jumpers (warmer than cardigan in winter), 4 cardigans (better in Spring and Autumn), school shoes, trainers, plimsolls, 1 pair of PE shorts, 2 PE T-shirts, jogging suit for outdoor PE in winter, fleece, waterproof jacket (to be left at school), wellies (to be left at school), wintercoat.

At Easter I bought three Summer dresses, sandals and new plimsolls (outgrown the others).

Most of the clothes will still fit at least for the first half of next year, except the polos as they have shrunk.

It sounds like a lot (and it is a lot), but dd tends to get messy so we need new clothes for every day of the week plus I like her to have a complete set of spare clothes at school.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: