Talk

Advanced search

DD is 6, Yr 1. We got her report last night.

(7 Posts)
CardboardFox Fri 10-Jun-11 13:34:49

It says lots of nice things. Her teacher obviously likes her, although she can be a class clown (reading between the lines!).

It tells us that she is a 1A in Numeracy, and a 1B for Reading and Writing. However, it doesn't say what that actually means. I am assuming because we have never been called in, that these levels are fine. I don't want to be all pushy and ask her teacher as, as I said, the report is very nice about her smile.

Can someone reassure me this is fine? Is this in line for average/good results when they do SATs at the end of Year 2? Thank you.

lovecheese Fri 10-Jun-11 13:59:16

Sounds like spot-on, and likely to meet the national requirements in next years SAT's.

CardboardFox Fri 10-Jun-11 20:29:20

Thank you lovecheese. I get the impression that DD is below average in her class, but I think that says more about the catchment of the school than it does about DD smile. As long as she is about where she should be, I'm happy.

cupofteaplease Fri 10-Jun-11 20:35:52

She is average for a year one child in reading and writing, above average for numeracy. In year 2 at my school, the head teacher expects all children to make 4 sublevels of progress, so if your dd was in my school she would be predicted a level 3 in Numeracy and a 2a in Reading and Writing- all above average. Whether she achieved those levels is another matter! smile

Don't worry about SATs. We only use them as one piece of evidence in our portfolio of evidence for APP. Teacher assessment trumps SATs results.

Teachermumof3 Fri 10-Jun-11 20:56:00

We expect our children to make three sub levels of progress each year which would give your daughter a 2A in maths and 2B in writing/reading by the end of Y2.

2B is considered 'national expectation' at the end of Y2 and 2A is slightly above, so if she continues along these lines, she is doing fine smile

The levels go like this...
1C
1B
1A
2C
2B
2A
3C

etc etc

The only real expectation is that children should get a 2B at the end of KS1 and a 4B at the end of KS2. We don't really do SATs at the end of Y2 anymore by the way-they will probably do a few past papers, but this will merely inform the teacher assessment and teacher assessment is all that will be reported, not any test marks.

I hope that helps a little!

CardboardFox Fri 10-Jun-11 21:37:00

Ok, so messages are - not to worry about SATs smile.
- plus, DD is doing fine.
She is only just 6, and one of the youngest, so if she is 'average', that is doing pretty well in a way smile

MuggleMum Fri 10-Jun-11 22:04:05

Your school reports would be more helpful if they explained what the levels mean. It is easy enough to do. Ask the school if in future they could send out a sheet with all reports explaining the levels system and expected attainment levels for each year group. It will help loads of parents, not just you.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: