Talk

Advanced search

What can your year 1 dc do now?

(14 Posts)
magic18 Fri 10-Jun-11 11:24:48

I am feeling a bit worried after hearing rumours (i know i shouldn't listen), that my ds year1 teacher is being kept an eye on by the head teacher because of concerns about her effectiveness.
I have been happy all year because ds loves school and really likes his teacher, and she says he is doing great. But now i am not so sure. So i just wondered what can your year1 dc now? (I know it's a silly question and there will be a huge variety, but humour me).

dragonmother Fri 10-Jun-11 11:41:28

If you google level 1 'APP' there should be some information about the expected National Curriculum levels for the end of year one. Of course some children will be way beyond these and some struggling but they are a help if you want to work out where most kids might be.

Year 1 children might typically be a level 1a or 1b (sometimes known as a 'high level 1' and a 'secure level 1'.

PoppetUK Fri 10-Jun-11 11:44:46

It can be dangerous to compare (speaking to Mrs worry wart here) and levels vary so much from child to child. I heard that mumsnet is also not a typical cross section of children.

You could google and see what sort of things are required for year 1. You will then always find children that are way ahead of that and some that are a bit below and some in the middle.

A quick google comes up with this sort of thing:

www.stbotolphsprimary.co.uk/dmdocuments/Year%201%20Targets.pdf

I know there is a govt one as well somewhere.

I hope this helps a little.

Pelagia Fri 10-Jun-11 12:39:39

"I have been happy all year because ds loves school and really likes his teacher, and she says he is doing great."

So please don't worry!

Maybe the HT is keeping an eye because there are some troublesome parents. My DS' teacher is brilliant but is sadly getting a really hard time from a couple of parents*, I wouldn't be surprised if she is getting extra support from the head so she can 'defend herself' tbh.

*according to rumour so not necessarily true of course...

FWIW my DS is in Y1 and maths homework is things like 'if you had xp and you bought something that costs yp and something else for zp, how much change would you have'

PoppetUK Fri 10-Jun-11 14:29:14

Sorry crossed posted earlier.

PoppetUK Fri 10-Jun-11 14:29:28

crossed posted smile

curtaincall Fri 10-Jun-11 15:26:22

Can read very well and interpret text. Can write a report/ story between 1-3 pages (not tiny handwriting though!) carry on a 5-10 minute discussion on general knowledge. Broad understanding of world religions. Accurate spellings of 9/10 letter words. counts in 5s,10s, 20 and understands hundreds, tens and units and number bonds. Quite good addition, still uses fingers alot. Simple multiplication. Basic fractions. Can draw and describe 2D and 3D shapes. Draws detailed maps. Can focus on a project for up to an hour. Operates computer as well as better than me. Get dressed/undressed on his own (second slowest in class). Can roller blade a bit. Good listening skills (apart from brush your teeth/go to bed instructions).

Actually I realise I don't know most of what they learn at school and will have to wait for parent's eve and report. There is HUGE variety of abilities in his class from what other parents say and my own observations on playdates.

Main thing: if he loves teacher and school, he'll love learning and I understand it all evens out in Y2 and won't he have a new teacher by then anyway?

oddgirl Fri 10-Jun-11 15:37:17

Whatever you do DONT use MN as a basis of what would be considered average. Most Y1 children on here seem to be reading Shakespeare/writing surrealist poetry/ doing quadratic equations and understanding basic Russian...if hes happy and settled dont worry...

curtaincall Fri 10-Jun-11 15:47:40

oh ... and reading Shakespeare and doing quadratic equations grin

dragonmother Fri 10-Jun-11 17:50:29

But it doesn't even out in year 2 does it? I mean otherwise kids would all get exactly the same sats scores/ GCSEs/ A levels etc.

But I agree with others definitely do NOT use Mumsnet as the basis of working out where your dc are at grin

2BoysTooLoud Fri 10-Jun-11 17:57:02

My ds in year 1 happy and doing fine. But.. not in same league as curtaincall's ds!

nowayhosay Fri 10-Jun-11 18:00:58

If you're like us OP, it's like living in an information vacuum with the teachers often operating a closed shop, and some parents feeling defensive about what their kids can do or not for whatever reason. I can feel really excluded and in the dark somtimes. I think it's a normal human instinct to take an interest in whether our kids are doing ok or not without being pounced on for being pushy. It's called sharing.

curtaincall Fri 10-Jun-11 18:22:46

hiya 2boysTooloud! The Time Chronicles have just arrived from the Book People and ds sooo pleased he's actually said thank you in an 'i really mean it' way twice. So thank you again for the great suggestion. Wonder if the schools know about these good deals or maybe they are tied into contracts with OUP.

(sorry to hijack)

2BoysTooLoud Fri 10-Jun-11 18:57:08

Enjoy the books curtaincall. My ds loves them. Great deal and I don't know if schools use them...

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: