Talk

Advanced search

Reading levels in Reception

(20 Posts)
Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 09:38:50

DS is 6 in a few months. His reading level is 6. Is this a normal level for reception or low? The book is in his bookbag at school so I do not remember the colour band. I wonder where can I find the meaning of the reading levels by age or by school year.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 09:50:11

I have just checked this link where there is some information about the reading levels. DS' book is level 6 but I do not remember the colour and judging by the words in the book I can presume it is below the blue level. I can post his colour band later today. I do not want to ask the teacher really. They seem to me always positive whichever level the child is.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 09:50:31

www.pearsonschoolsandfecolleges.co.uk/AssetsLibrary/SECTORS/Primary/PDFs/Parents/guide-to-levelled-books.pdf

redskyatnight Fri 10-Jun-11 10:05:19

6 sounds pretty good. There is a wide range in DD's reception class from pink to orange colour bands. Most are red or yellow.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 10:16:13

All these colours and levels are a bit confusing to me. There is a level colour chart at the back of the book but all the books never show which age they are for or the school year. I want to see that for example this level is fine for reception but too low for Y1, yet I cannot find anything like that. I do not know whether we should work harder or not. DS has been given 6 levels of words to learn. He is stuck on level 6 with words should, would, could, came, when, then...

MMQC Fri 10-Jun-11 10:34:34

www.oup.com/oxed/primary/oxfordreadingtree/chart_2010/

Level 6 is pretty good for reception. I wouldn't worry ...

tinytears1 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:47:07

You sound like you are getting in a tizz. It sounds like your ds is doing brilliantly. Level 6 reading is excellent. My ds is in year1 and some of his friends are on that level - which is fine.
The word are also far on for a reception child. I think could and should etc are phase 5 tricky words (lettersandsounds.co.uk) which they normally do in year 1.
Well done to your ds - he is doing very well.

tinytears1 Fri 10-Jun-11 10:49:38

Sorry. It's www.letters-and-sounds.com

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 10:56:21

redskyatnight and MMQC thank you. I think the best thing which we could do is to learn all the given words. I guess once he knows all of them only then I will see the true level. At the moment he does not know all words and sometimes he is a bit lazy to even to try to read a tricky word. May be this is in front of me.
I guess all kids at RY receive the same words to learn (e.g. first 45 words in RY?).

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 11:06:37

tinytears1 thanks. I know this website which is a good one. I am sure that his level 6 is within the warm colours. The teacher gave us a list of words to learn (6 levels). He find the 6th level words are hard to read because some words you need to memorise.
I can only guess that all these words are for the RY pupils and there will be more words in Y1.
It would have been easier if all followed the same chart (ORT) but we hardly get ORT books so I can only guess.

coccyx Fri 10-Jun-11 11:07:25

think you are being a bit ott. You are missing the point that in reception 'levels' vary enormously. No real 'low 'level. As my daughters teacher said its not a race. Chill, sounds like he is doing ok.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 11:23:14

coccyx, thanks. I think I worry to much because English is not his mother tongue which is slowly becoming as he talks more and more in English even at home. I do not want him to be the odd one who slows down lessons because English is not his first language. May be that is why I was kind of worried whether his level is fine. Although he was born in England we did not talk to him in English all the time so his vocabulary might be lower than from someone who has been talking English from birth. I do not know whether that matters but probably helps in guessing words.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 20:34:51

Here is the book http://www.bookdepository.co.uk/Big-Hit-Jenny-Giles/9780763560119.
On the back it is written PM plus levels
2 pink levels
3 red levels
3 yellow levels one of which is level 6

up to the level 24

sillybillies Fri 10-Jun-11 20:50:01

As long as he is making progress, I wouldn't worry. The rate at which they pick up reading is no indication of how well they will do in the long run.
However his level sounds about the same as my daughter and her teacher seems really pleased with her progress.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 21:16:43

Thanks sillibillies.
Could it be that level 6 in one book is equal to level 1 or 2 in another? Here, there is a link which shows The match of Book Bands to National Curriculum levels http://www.mumsnet.com/learning/reading/what-do-reading-levels-mean
By looking at this interpretation my DS is on level 1 (yellow band).

mrz Fri 10-Jun-11 21:51:56

Level 6 is a book band level and level 1 & 2 are National Curriculum Levels. Two very different things.

Yellow is book band level 3 working towards NC level 1

sillybillies Fri 10-Jun-11 21:54:52

your link says its a rigby book - here's a link explaining their levels

http://rigby.hmhco.com/NR/rdonlyres/BD327C82-3F6E-4CEF-BAA2-CDFB31BE60A9/0/3816_R_LeveledChart.pdf

and yes it seems to be yellow level.
My DD gets Rigby books now and again. They mainly use the Chip, Biff books but we get a selection of other books as well.

Colourworld Fri 10-Jun-11 22:26:41

mrz, thanks, did not really know about National Curriculum levels. As a primary teacher would you say level 6 yellow book band is all right for Reception Year?

sillybillies, I have checked the book and see that it was published by thomson nelson now cengage www.cengage.com/auspri/discipline.do?disciplinenumber=1715 Just books only.

mrz Sat 11-Jun-11 09:08:45

Reading ability varies greatly when children first begin to learn to read so in reception and Y1 there can be an enormous spread of levels all perfectly fine but I would say yellow in reception is nothing to worry about.

Colourworld Sat 11-Jun-11 09:49:54

Thank you mrz. That sound all right, not really as very good but as you say it varies.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now