Talk

Advanced search

headmaster trying to stop Parents Association being formed

(2 Posts)
nicky1705 Thu 09-Jun-11 23:58:57

Hello
Our son has been at his current school for just over a year now. The school went through a merger and lost approx 20% of its pupils. A new head came in, and has made some changes, but school still has a high pupil turnover which I am not surprised at, as there is a lot of dissatisfaction about the school. My husband and I have suggested to a other parents about the idea of starting a Parents Association and they are very keen. We approached the Headmaster and said he would ffind out what the board of governors had to say. His reply after 4 weeks is that he has an open door policy, and he haas decided to write the constitution for the Parents Association himself! He has since stalled and nothing has happened.
Its an independent prep school- what are our rights if any. We dont want to be fobbed off and I really dont want to move our son, but desperate for things to improve. Please help.

IntotheNittyGritty Fri 10-Jun-11 01:57:23

I dont know about rights etc., but it depends on what your ideas are around a Parents Association.

Most PTAs are about providing the opportunity of a social network for parents to get to know each other, and for fundraising to provide additional equipment over and above what the school can provide.

Is this your idea, or is it to have parents discuss changes needed within the school. Have you made your plans clear to the head?

You could put together a proposal of what you want the Parents Association to consider and ask for a meeting to present the parents ideas. He could/would then have the opportunity to discuss or reject this? Not really sure what else to suggest.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now