Talk

Advanced search

Grrr dressing up as a Victorian

(11 Posts)
MissPB Thu 09-Jun-11 17:48:46

Just received a note from school on their Victorian theme. They have asked girls to come in dressed with a white pinafore over a long sleeved plain dress reaching below the knee.

Any ideas how I can make a white smock with limited sewing skills?

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 17:49:58

do you have to make it ? Ebay has nice ones for ten quid.

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 17:50:53

cgi.ebay.co.uk/VICTORIAN-MAID-FANCY-DRESS-COSTUME-APRON-MOP-CAP-8-13-/300563520166?pt=UK_Clothes_Children_sFancyDress_RL&hash=item45fafb5aa6 loads of others as well

Goblinchild Thu 09-Jun-11 17:53:43

If it's for a day, I wouldn't bother hemming it. I'd just cut plain fabric to shape and cobble it together.

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 17:56:25

I know a lot of kids wear a long sleeved plain t shirt long. A skirt of mums with safety pin to make smaller. White pillowcase with tied around middle for half pinny and plats. Works quite well.

RustyBear Thu 09-Jun-11 17:57:43

You can make a really good Victorian child's pinafore from a man's white shirt worn back to front - take the sleeves and collar off and cut the neck a bit deeper at the back (which will be the front when it's worn) If you're feeling reasonably competent, you can make little cap sleeves from the original sleeves. If it's only going to be worn for one day, you could probably get away without hemming the cut edges.

MissPB Thu 09-Jun-11 18:08:41

thanks for your ideas - not really very competent enought to cut up a shirt. Thanks for the link MynameisTerces I thjink that is the best option!

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 18:12:06

whole outfit for a tenner

cgi.ebay.co.uk/Child-Victorian-Poor-Girl-Fancy-Dress-Costume-Medium-/400219066549?pt=UK_Clothes_Children_sFancyDress_RL&hash=item5d2eea50b5 why do they do it to us grin

coccyx Thu 09-Jun-11 18:13:26

i dread the 'themed' days. Tudor, egyptian, ancient greek......arghhhhhhh. hooray for ebay

muriel76 Thu 09-Jun-11 18:14:05

Poor you! This is why I was so glad to have boys during their school's Victorian week! Much easier!

MissPB Thu 09-Jun-11 19:01:40

i know it is good fun for the children but it doesn't make me slightly cross that I have to spend money on this! At least I have a younger DD so she will be able to use it too eventually

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now