Talk

Advanced search

Moving from Reception to Year 1 - big jump?

(11 Posts)
houseproject Thu 09-Jun-11 14:43:11

DS is 5 and enjoys school. He prefers outside play and loves the social aspect of school. He is slowly learning but finds reading and writing a chore. Reception has the right balance for him but as the year ends I'm wondering how he will cope in Year1. My other 2 DCs noticed the difference quite quickly and they were very able girls who were able to concentrate for longer periods of time than my DS.

Can you share your experiences of the move to Year1, did your child find the move difficult ? Is there anything I can do to prepare him?

MissPB Thu 09-Jun-11 16:10:34

I was just about to write a post on this houseproject so thank you for your post! My daughter has loved her first year at school but is starting to feel sad about leaving her wonderful teacher.

I am trying to build it up into something exciting but would love to hear from others whose children have already had this experience.

swash Thu 09-Jun-11 16:19:32

My DD found the transition easy - but they did have a teacher who had done one day a week with them in Reception. She preferred the structure of Y1 - and had the most wonderful year there. The main emphasis was on getting everyone to read - that meant no homework but parents were asked to read with the kids each night for 10 mins.

I have to say, houseproud, that the boys did seem to struggle more with the transition. The teacher was wonderful but maybe not strong enough to cope with boisterous boys, so maybe that was why. Hopefully some mothers-of-boys can give some constructive advice. I think planning trips to park each day after school (and for some boys a run-around before school) is the best thing a parent can do to help - they don't seem to get enough physical time in school.

swash Thu 09-Jun-11 16:19:52

houseproject!

kittenmother Thu 09-Jun-11 16:22:08

Mother of a boy here and my ds loved the move. No problems at all. SOME of the more boisterous children (boys and girls) were a bit unsettled.

Not helping the OP but just wanted to stop all those assumptions people pick up that all boys can't sit still etc. Your ds might rise to the occasion houseproject.

redskyatnight Thu 09-Jun-11 17:15:20

DS found it very hard. He disliked not having the choice that he did in Reception (even when they were doing an activity he liked he was cross that he was "forced" to do it).

He found the longer periods of carpet time expected quite challenging (and he's not a stereotypical boy he won't sit still - it was the level of concentration required that was a shock).

He also didn't like the "formal" lesson structure - though there school tried to break them in gently and did lots of creative stuff.

Sorry, probably not what you wanted to hear.
The best I can say is that he got used to it. He's now in Y2 and still complains that he has to sit and do writing and numeracy while his (YR) sister gets to play. I expect her to take to Y1 like a duck to water as she loves that style of learning.

missmapp Thu 09-Jun-11 17:18:49

DS1 noticed that there was more maths and less free time, but didnt react badly, he still enjoys school ( is in yr1 now) and I didnt really notice a difference in his behaviour/thoughts about school - now what the change to yr2 will bring?? Who knows!!

simpson Thu 09-Jun-11 17:29:06

My DS also found it hard tbh and kept moaning about all the playing he couldn't do anymore grin

However after a couple of weeks, he was fine and he has had an absolutely fab teacher who he will be very sad to leave...

Main thing I noticed is that the kids are put onto tables according to ability in YR1 (well, our school anyway!!) for maths, handwriting, reading & spellings.

DS loves this as he is very competitive. he came home the other day very upset as he was on the bottom table for something....it turned out to be knitting!!! grin grin

key80 Thu 09-Jun-11 17:38:32

Think it depends on school and class. Dd found it hard as she was in year1/year2 class and moaned about them not playing anymore.

scrappydappydoo Thu 09-Jun-11 18:42:43

Lurks with interest...
I'm having a few issues with dd1 at the mo because she doesn't want to leave reception because she thinks yr1 will be too hard (she's currently in a mixed R/yr1 class so has seen some of the work they do). As an added complication we're hoping she will move schools (currently on a wa..iting list) so that sends her into a spin as well

edoli Thu 09-Jun-11 20:28:53

DS2 is not quite 6 yet and just finishing year one. I had the same worries but in fact he has had a brilliant year.

It totally depends on the teacher though and ours has been excellent. He left Reception on red level books and barely able to write. He was allowed not to try very hard at anything that seemed like actual school work.

By May half term in year 1 he'd finished the reading scheme and loves free reading. I'd really try not to worry, it is a big step up because you're going from EYFS to KS1 but it can be well managed.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: