Talk

Advanced search

getting dd to school.

(14 Posts)
manchester1 Thu 09-Jun-11 11:03:42

Had trouble getting dd in reception into school today. Ran off several times. Eventualy managed to get her in with help of classroom assistant at 9.30.
All this was of course witnessed by parents etc.
Feel terrible. Does this happen alot?

ragged Thu 09-Jun-11 11:22:00

It's happened to me. Even once is too often for my liking. (And it has happened at least once with each of my DC).
Sorry to hear you've had a bad morning sad.

manchester1 Thu 09-Jun-11 11:54:12

Thank you. Feel a little better now.

PatriciaHolm Thu 09-Jun-11 12:14:55

Yep, we had several children in DS's class do this sometimes! A couple have done it once or twice in DDs Y1 class too. Don't worry, it's normal!

Do you know why though? In each case we had, there was a reason (e.g. not wanting to do PE, not liking the new teacher etc)

manchester1 Thu 09-Jun-11 12:27:33

Think there were a couple of factors. Explained reasons to classroom asst so hopefully all good now.

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 12:33:51

Sometimes it helps if you can arrive earlier than others. Could you ask if that is possible. Some children cope better if the classroom is quiet and then the staff can give you more help as well.

blackeyedsusan Thu 09-Jun-11 12:38:52

most parents would be thinking, thank god its not my dc, and poor mum..

manchester1 Thu 09-Jun-11 12:43:32

If it happens again I may consider that. It is tricky as I have older dc who normally go in 1st. Thank you.
The worst part is knowing how to deal with it. You don't want to have to physically deal with situation but if you can't reason with them what are your options?

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 12:53:37

Yes, it is tricky. Once you are there it is kinder to go really quickly. I

I used to find it was easier if we prepared before we left the house. It does take extra time though. We used to have a cuddle and a chat about it before leaving then I would put a bit of my perfume on her arm ( on condition she kept calm when we got there) that she could smell to remind her of home. I also got her a watch and showed her what it would look like when it was time to come home that she wore. Another time she had a friendship bracelet of mine to remind her of me. I always bought a biscuit to have as a treat at home time in that first year as well.

Sometimes she still did it. They are all so different arn't they.

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 12:56:02

sorry about typos and random "I" there - not on top form. I have a bad cold.

bluebobbin Thu 09-Jun-11 13:10:38

My DS is in reception. If there was no particular reason behind it, ie nothing was upsetting him and he was just playing up to see what he could get away with, I would carry him in like a baby.

manchester1 Thu 09-Jun-11 13:22:33

I ended up carrying in the end. Felt bad though as she was screaming don't carry me I'm not a baby!

ragged Thu 09-Jun-11 16:24:57

Once you are there it is kinder to go really quickly.

er, not always (sigh). I was asked by DS teacher specifically not to just dump and run again, because he's a stubborn little cuss quite determined about not letting anybody else calm him down, and it took the better part of one TA's time for an hour to get him to stop screaming once.

Hopefully those days are behind us.

MynameisTerces Thu 09-Jun-11 17:48:11

Sorry ragged it was wrong of me to make that assumption. In most cases in schools I have worked in they have calmed more quickly that way. However, I have always worried they were just hiding the upset because they felt less safe ITSWIM. Sad really. Maybe they do start too young in this country, at least in some cases.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now