Talk

Advanced search

Flexibility starting reception??

(7 Posts)
Whyisitsodifficult Wed 08-Jun-11 19:39:15

My son is due to start reception in September, he won't be five until February. The school have said that you can choose either full time or mornings only to start with. As he already attends pre-school for two full days it seems a backward step to start doing mornings only, but suddenly going to five full days seems a big jump. So I emailed the school asking if it was possible to do a four day week, and they've said no! Now technically I believe he doesn't even need to attend school until he is five? I really don't want to hold him back until then but believe four is too young for a full school week. I've replied back to the school stating my concerns but have yet to hear back, where do I stand on this? Thanks

cookcleanerchaufferetc Wed 08-Jun-11 20:14:53

He will be fine doing full days. Aternoons are generally spent playing and nothing else.

kattyo Wed 08-Jun-11 20:48:15

you could keep him out entirely until january, which is your legal right - in fact if his birthday is february you could keep him out until the start of the summer term... and then start on five days a dweek.

Whyisitsodifficult Wed 08-Jun-11 20:56:59

Thanks for replies. I'm fine about him starting in September just not doing five full days. So if its my legal right for him not to start until summer term can they really refuse me the four day option?? All seems a bit all or nothing at the mo!!

KoolAidKid Wed 08-Jun-11 21:24:24

Could you imagine if everyone just picked and chose which days they wanted to do? It would be chaos, and a nightmare for the teacher.

It isn't all or nothing - you have 3 good options IMO: Don't send him until January, mornings only, or full time. Just pick which you think is best for your DS.

Rosebud05 Wed 08-Jun-11 22:54:18

Just check the situation regarding 'holding' places for January starters'; I think this has changed recently?

kattyo Thu 09-Jun-11 00:50:40

the place will be held. that's your legal entitlement. you do not have a legal entitlement to go part time - you can ask the school, but they can refuse.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: