Talk

Advanced search

How can I help her?

(10 Posts)
Rachaeltall Wed 08-Jun-11 09:01:25

My DD is 5.5 and in reception. Very bubbly, popular child. She is reading stage 6 books from school, she's been on the same stage since February, I think the school is leaving her there until she gets to year one for who knows what reason, as she easily reads level 7 books with pace and intonation. Anyway, that's not the major problem. She hasn't wanted to go to school the last two mornings. Finally this morning she told me why. When she does writing and drawing her so-called friends laugh at her! She didn't want me to speak to the Teacher about it, should I anyway? She is a very confident child, but she is also very sensitive and stuff like that affects her quite badly.

Sorry it's so long and rambly; advice please.....sad

shellye Wed 08-Jun-11 11:28:26

My advice to you would be not to get hung up on reading levels at school and encourage to her to read what she wants at home. Have never taken that much notice of what my DD level is. Though this week we have been told that she has a reading age of 10.6. This was done by her new school which she will start in September. At her current school she is on cream/ ORT 10. Not sure how that works but at home she is encouraged to read what ever she wants, within reason obviously! Far too many parents on here have turned reading levels into a personal mission, go with the flow. Celebrate your child loves reading, take to the Library, buy lots of books! Just don't worry about school levels. Hope this helps.

shellye Wed 08-Jun-11 11:36:37

Should mention she is in Y2.

Insomnia11 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:51:51

My daughter did Stage 1 - 5 in reception (between January and July) and was on 5 sometime in the summer term but the teacher said stage 6 is normally Y1 onwards so would leave her on 5 until the end of the year - wasn't particularly bothered as she was starting to read other things at home anyway. Then in Y1 she has gone through 6-12, Colour Puffins and is now on Hippos which are thankfully a bit more interesting.

I would say in Reception she had more issues with being upset about stuff at school and now this academic year the class seems to have settled down a lot more just being that bit older. It's good that she talks to you about her worries, long may that continue!

sarahfreck Wed 08-Jun-11 12:05:05

Does she have a problem with writing and drawing? What are the children laughing at exactly?

Rachaeltall Wed 08-Jun-11 15:39:59

Hi again, sorry I wasn't clear. I don't have a problem with the reading levels etc, only that she gets what she needs from the school. Her writing is great, letters formed correctly and the right way round most of the time. She draws beautifully too as far as I can see (I know, mama can be a bit biased!!!). The school is in a really rough area, and a lot of her peers are way behind where they should be so I don't know whether their reaction is more of a jealousy thing. I just want her to be happy and secure at school, which she used to be. Problem is she learns too fast and is outstripping most of her friends. Nice problem to have, but still sad

DeWe Wed 08-Jun-11 17:33:17

I would mention it to the school, quietly and say that she didn't want you to say anything so they don't start off with "mum says". There may be more to it too, she may have said something uncomplimentary about theirs, which started it. It needs sorting if she's not wanting to go in to school.

mrz Wed 08-Jun-11 17:33:52

Have you asked her if she knows why they are laughing?

vegasmum Wed 08-Jun-11 20:03:55

Message withdrawn

Rachaeltall Thu 09-Jun-11 10:49:14

Thank you all for your suggestions. Mrz, I did ask but she says she doesn't know.
Vergasmum, your DD sounds like mine, and it terrifies me. I think her perfectionist attitude is also what's turned her off maths. She used to want to ask to do sums all the time, but since starting school she won't answer numeracy questions so the teacher thinks it's one of her weak points when it isn't. I have said to her that people can be mean whn someone can do something better than they can, but generally she doesn't listen to me, so we'll see...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now