Talk

Advanced search

Year 1 Multiplication

(15 Posts)
waiting2exhale Wed 08-Jun-11 01:45:52

The summer term is nearly finished and the summer hols are soon to start.

I would really like to slowly introduce my reception son to his times tables as I know I will have to help him with this in year 1 and struggled with it myself when I was at school.

Can anybody help....? Which are taught first?

He can already count in 2s, 5s, and 10s so not concerned with teaching these as he should be able to cope with structuring these, I think, fairly easy.

Any suggestions?

piprabbit Wed 08-Jun-11 01:49:10

DD didn't make a start on times tables themselves until Y2 - and she was one of the most able in her class.

I would have a chat with the teacher to find out how they lead up to teaching multiplication at your DSs school, then you can at least try and give him some consistent messages.

waiting2exhale Wed 08-Jun-11 01:54:15

Hi pip thanks for the quick reply.

Not sure what the standard/norm is elsewhere, or why it differs so from one school to another, but at son's school they start their tables in year 1.

I was just wondering which are generally taught first. Can you remember which ones your DD start first?

piprabbit Wed 08-Jun-11 02:01:39

2, 5 and 10 - so your DS is well on his way grin.

southofthethames Wed 08-Jun-11 02:01:40

3s are good, and 11s are common sense. 9s also easy (and quite beautifully symmetrical) because the units decrease as the tens increase: 9,18,27, 36, 45 - see? Leave him the goodies of 4, 6,7, 8, 12 for the following year. Actually when I was in school we just learnt the lot by rote from 1s to 12s in year 2 - not difficult for a youngster's uncluttered brain. I know this sounds strange but my nephew had trouble with the concept of zero times table! So maybe explain this when younger - maybe they understand it when younger because their minds aren't cluttered with the stress of handing in homework, which was what I think troubled my DN.

RoadArt Wed 08-Jun-11 05:03:13

1, 2, 5, 10, then 3, then 4,5,6,7,8. For some reason 9 also seems to be left till later but this is really easy to learn.

If DS is only going into year 1 next term then just do the 1, 2, 5, 10 and make sure he can learn the families of each one. Use materials.

2 x 5, 5 x 2, 10/2 10/5 etc. This helps with understanding numbers and tables later on

mrz Wed 08-Jun-11 07:06:51

He is expected to know his 2,5 & 10 times tables by the end of Y2 ... although of course it is useful if he knows more.
I would expect children to know their tables forwards backwards and "inside out" not just able to recite 1x2...

sarahfreck Wed 08-Jun-11 14:36:51

Use loads of practical materials - coins to do 2's 5's 10's
draw grids on squared paper to show 4x3 or whatever
You could try some tables cds if he is an aural learner
Try tables bingo where the answer cards have the answer to the times tables and the calling cards say 3x4 or whatever.
Visual learners can benefit by marking the answers to a times table on a 100 square.
I'd concentrate on a really thorough knowledge of 2's 5's and 10's ( not just being able to count up in them but know quickly 7x5 or whatever) and then start on 3's. He's ahead of where he needs to be so you can take your time to learn them really thoroughly.

waiting2exhale Wed 08-Jun-11 21:39:15

Am really surprised that so many of you are saying your DC don't need to start learning their tables until year 2. By the end of year 2 all tables are learnt in DCs school hmm.

Please tell me there is someone else out there whose DC is also expected to start learning their tables in year 1. They say as their so young, it's easier the younger they start....wish I had started this early confused

PatriciaHolm Wed 08-Jun-11 22:10:52

DD (yr1) has been doing tables for a while, she can do 2,5,10 very easily (though she is top table for maths). DS (reception) can do them too but that's because he's been listening to DD for the last six months!

mrz Thu 09-Jun-11 07:38:23

The government expectations are that they know 2,5 and 10 by the end of Y2 so it is up to individual schools when and how they start teaching tables (and if they teach just the three sets or more)

redskyatnight Thu 09-Jun-11 10:57:37

DS only did 2s, 5s and 10s in Y1.

In Y2 he started with 3s and 4s and is now on 6s, 7s and 8s (oddly not 9s)

lovecheese Thu 09-Jun-11 13:36:02

PatriciaHolm, having an older sibling definitely helps when it comes to learning times tables! DD in year 2 is proficient in almost all - can't reliably do all the division facts for the 7's and 8's yet - due I think to hearing her older sister moaning about doing them; even the three year-old has a stab at some! grin

cazzybabs Thu 09-Jun-11 13:38:27

We do 2, 5, and 10s at my school in Year 1

Year 2 is 3, 4, and 6s.

Year 3 all of them.

mistlethrush Thu 09-Jun-11 13:42:11

Ds, Yr1 - 2,3,5,10 in school, 9 and 11 at home grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: