Talk

Advanced search

Reception - what can your child do now?

(28 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Tue 07-Jun-11 21:40:44

I'm asking as a supply teacher, not a competitive mum. Only one of my 4 went through reception after EYFS was introduced.

Can your child recognise all sounds? Write his her name? Read? Form all letters properly? Write numbers fairly consistently? Put own socks on after PE? Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to?

I'd really appreciate any input as I have reception children all term. The school is very different from the one my youngest (Y2) attends, so they have different skills and expectations though both are rural state primaries. Trying to get a bit more perspective.

BerylOfLaughs Tue 07-Jun-11 21:46:28

DD is 5.2 and in Reception

Can your child recognise all sounds? Yes

Write his her name? Yes

Read? Yes

Form all letters properly? Occasionally writes some backwards

Write numbers fairly consistently? Yes, but again the 2 and 5 can be backwards

Put own socks on after PE? Yes

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? Yes although she's done less maths than she is probably capable of

beautifulgirls Tue 07-Jun-11 21:53:55

Can your child recognise all sounds? Yes seems to be good with these
Write his her name? Yes though she could do this when she started reception too, but was pretty much all she could write. She can now write sentences phonetically and use a capital letter at the start and full stop at the end.
Read? Yes though not free reading but I wouldn't expect this in reception.
Form all letters properly? She reverses some letters still
Write numbers fairly consistently? Still reverses a 3 and 9 sometimes
Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? Yes, has an older sister so knew what to expect. I'd like to see her doing more number work but only because I think she is more capable at this, however it is reception and there is plenty of time ahead yet.

WearegoingonaKwazihunt Tue 07-Jun-11 22:00:16

My DS is in reception and is 4.9.

Recognise all sounds - No. Is still in phonics phase 1, but they are taking it at his pace.

Write Name - yes.

Form all letters properly - probably not all no.

Write numbers fairly consistently - Has trouble with 8

Put in own socks after PE. Yes

Can they do all the things you would expect them to?
I think he is doing well. Slowly but getting there. But then I read above and see about others writing sentences and worry that he is behind/not being pushed/I am not doing enough with him.

littleducks Tue 07-Jun-11 22:00:59

Can your child recognise all sounds? (phonics?) yes

Write his her name? yes

Read? yes

Form all letters properly? yes, but writing has gotton worse since starting school as there is nobody ensuring they form letters correctly so it isn't the neatest

Write numbers fairly consistently? often backwards

Put own socks on after PE? not sure if she has help after PE but does it fine at home unless she gets them inside out and then its the end of the world wink]

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? Her maths/number knowledge is ahead of what i had expected but her reaidng/writing has barely improved since preschool

LetThereBeCake Tue 07-Jun-11 22:17:51

DS1 is 5.7 and in reception

Write his her name? Yes

Read? Yes - green/orange band

Form all letters properly? Occasionally writes some backwards. Generally expected to write 3 sentences, with capitals at the start and full stops at the end.

Write numbers fairly consistently? Yes, but some backwards.

Put own socks on after PE? Get dressed totally after PE

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? Doesn't seem to have done any maths. Thought he'd be reading a bit more by this stage.

DS2 is 3.9 and will start reception in september. Right now the answers for him are:

Write his her name? No

Read? Yes - yellow band

Form all letters properly? Nooooooo

Write numbers fairly consistently? No

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? Yes.

mankyscotslass Tue 07-Jun-11 22:26:10

Ds is 5.7, he started in September.

He can recognise all his sounds.

He can write his name

He is reading very well, is on ORT Stage 2 but the teacher assessed him just before half term and will be moving him onto stage 4 or 5 after we go back.

He can't form all letters properly, but gives it a go.

He can't write numbers consistently.

Manages his socks ok.

He is doing better than I expected, his reading has totally taken off since he started knowing just the basic sounds of the alphabet. His writing is actually doing ok too, considering he is ambidextrous and has only recently decided his left will be his writing hand. I'm a bit worried about his number recognition past 20, but other than that I am happy, and so is he. smile

Chaotica Tue 07-Jun-11 23:58:47

DD 5.1 can do everything on the list (although still gets some letters backwards and hates putting on socks). The school think she's on ort stage 3, but she's reading usborne science books at home as well as stories and I suspect they're just wrong.

goingmadinthecountry Wed 08-Jun-11 05:45:39

Thank you all. Am fully aware that it's hardly scientific research (!) but it all helps me.

hanaka88 Wed 08-Jun-11 06:28:23

My answer is no to all apart from the socks question. My DS is SN though. But children are expected to reach point 6 by the end of reception (as an average)

redskyatnight Wed 08-Jun-11 10:11:18

DD can do all those apart from occasional number reversal. Her reading is still at a fairly basic level (ORT 3-4, yellow/blue book band) - and she is one of the better readers in the class!! The Reception year has focussed on instilling basics (which I think is good).

rebl Wed 08-Jun-11 10:17:01

Can your child recognise all sounds? dd - yes; ds - no
Write his her name? dd - yes; ds - yes
Read? dd- yes, chapter books; ds - no, still not recognising more than a handful of keywords and can't blend.
Form all letters properly? dd - Most of the time apart from the mirroring that comes in from time to time; ds - no
Write numbers fairly consistently? dd - all mirrored; ds - no
Put own socks on after PE? dd - yes; ds - yes
Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to?dd - yes; ds - Yes apart from going to the toilet, he still needs reminding but thats fine as the teacher always sends them all to the toilet before break, lunch and break again and thats fine for him.

UniS Wed 08-Jun-11 10:27:14

DS 5 in March, been in Year R one and a half terms.

single letter sounds yes, diagraphs, some, trigraphs, a few.
Read and write own name- yes.
Attempts to write other words using his phonic knowledge.
recognises numbers, does simple addition subtraction with objects and in head.

Dresses self for and after PE with prompts as prone to drift off into lala land.
Expected to remember his sun hat. Not allowed to cross road alone. Trusted to pop across playground to office alone if its their turn as class helper.

Is learning about insects, life cycles, habitats and habits. PLAYS GAMES WITH COUNTING, DICE, COLOURS, TURN taking ( sorry for caps lock) . Likes being outside, does exercises every day as a class. Class do lots of data handling stuff- charts on every thing from how they came to school to hair colour.

crazygracieuk Wed 08-Jun-11 10:31:55

Ds is 5 in August

Can your child recognise all sounds?
He knows all sounds up to end of Stage 5 of Letters and Sounds

Write his her name?
Yes

Read?
He can blend words that are decodable and relevant to end of Stage 5 of Letters and Sounds. He knows most Reception key words

Form all letters properly?
No. Very dodgy formation but writing is even and on the line. Uses spaces and full stops correctly.

Write numbers fairly consistently?
6 and 9 and 2 and 5 get mixed up.

Put own socks on after PE?
Yes

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to?
Yes

allbie Wed 08-Jun-11 10:52:32

DS 4.10 mts. Yes to all.

montmartre Wed 08-Jun-11 11:01:17

DD is Reception (5.4) , she can do all the things on your list, though to be honest she could do them all at the end of pre-school year too. She finds physical activities hard work though- hopping, jumping etc.

PatriciaHolm Wed 08-Jun-11 11:19:25

DS is 5.2 and can write his name, recognise all the sounds, and has just started to click with reading (ORT 2) but that is going slowly. But then his sister was too and is now about to be a free reader just one year later so I refuse to worry! He can dress himself and put socks on (at school anyway, Mummy gets called on to help with socks at home)

His writing is a bit pants though, he's left handed and seems to find it a struggle. His maths is above his age though; he can do all the stuff my Yr 1 DD can just about, courtesy of her doing it all with him at home!

So I think he's getting on fine.

Insomnia11 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:24:36

I am quite surprised to hear children knowing all the phonics sounds and blending by the end of pre-school. I was reading at 3 but didn't know how to sound words out phonically, I just had a good memory.

lalalonglegs Wed 08-Jun-11 11:45:17

My son has just turned 5 and is in reception.

Write his her name? Yes

Read? Yes - very simple books with lots of repetition. He can sound out the words in these books but can't recognise many words automatically.

Form all letters properly? I think so.

Write numbers fairly consistently? Yes

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? I'm not sure what my expectations were but I'm very happy with his progress especially as he is one of the youngest in the class and I thought he might struggle a bit compared to his older sister.

blackeyedsusan Wed 08-Jun-11 12:17:32

dd 4.10, can do all, except write letters/numbers.. but is having occupational therapy for that...

I know they have been teaching her to dress correctly because as she was putting her tshirt on the sofa... she muttered to herself.. tshirt on the table...
at least she no longer comes home with her tshirt inside out and back tio front, her dress back to front, inside out and unzipped and her jumper back to front and inside out... blush (i am guessing that the dressing has something to do with her inability to plan movement... )

sixthrubbishname Wed 08-Jun-11 19:13:18

DS is 5.5, he is just coming to the end of reception.

Can your child recognise all sounds? Most of the time, I might occassionally have to do the action that goes with the sound.

Write his her name? Yes, he told me the other day to stop telling him the sounds, he knows how to do it!

Read? It is just starting to click.

Form all letters properly? Most of the time. Depends if he can be bothered.

Write numbers fairly consistently? mixes 2 and 5 up, but only for writing.

Can they do all the things you expected they'd be able to? Yes, though I don't really know what was expected.

londonkids Wed 08-Jun-11 19:48:13

I wanted to ask to the mums who answered yes to everything do your DC's go to outstanding state schools? Do any of them go to schools where they have a high number of children who don't speak English as a first language - are any of the schools in a big city with people from very mixed background or are they in more rural English better off areas? I'm just interested as I thought the answers were all very impressive and was interested to get an idea of whether this is standard across all schools or more at very good schools. When I looked round some schools in London I saw kids in reception having shoes and socks put on, and writing that I couldn't tell what it was and lessons seemed to be more directed at learning phonetic letter sounds rather than writing words or reading books, but maybe I just looked round them at the beginning of the year or something like that.

mrz Wed 08-Jun-11 20:26:48

I think there will be many children in all kinds of reception classes (unsatisfactory to outstanding) who will be able to all those things just as there will be children in all kinds of reception classes (unsatisfactory to outstanding) who can't.

lalalonglegs Wed 08-Jun-11 21:35:39

My son is at an outstanding school in London which is mixed intake (not a faith school). I think it depends on the school: it's very gentle, the children aren't hot-housed but he seems to have thrived. There are children in his class that possibly are taking a little longer with reading and so on but I'd expect most children of that age to be able to cope with getting dressed (although mine does come back quite often with his trousers on back to front grin).

mankyscotslass Wed 08-Jun-11 22:37:10

My DS2 is at an Outstanding school in Greater Manchester, but it borders on one of the most deprived areas, and has many children from that area.

It is not a Faith school.

There has recently been a massive change in how they manage the YR classes, although both my older two went there and are still doing well, even before these changes.

They have high expectations of all the children at the school.

I think it helps that the head teacher has strong leadership skills.

And both the Reception teachers are excellent.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: