Talk

Advanced search

Star of the Week

(29 Posts)
LindyHemming Tue 07-Jun-11 20:37:34

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

coccyx Tue 07-Jun-11 20:40:43

I am not keen on it. Have to say that my childrens school makes sure each child has 2 certificates a year.
Feel for your daughter, shame on teacher

BettyTurnip Tue 07-Jun-11 20:46:21

Our dc's school only does this in Reception, and even then they work down the register each week so every child in class has a turn, starting with the eldest and finishng with the youngest.

Mum2be79 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:49:13

Surely by 'making sure' every child receives a 'star of the week' defeats the object of 'star of the week'? It should be someone who has excelled or 'stood out' for exceptional work ethic, attitude or behaviour. I'm not saying that your child hasn't but by making sure every child receives this award for the sake of it, dumbs down the value of it. Just my opinion. If you're really upset by it, have a chat with the teacher to find out EXACTLY how children are chosen for it.

Now cue angry comments!!!

MigratingCoconuts Tue 07-Jun-11 20:49:52

my DD just got her star award for this year...within in a week of getting it last year the same time last year.

I was literally just joking with DH that this obviously says something about where she falls in the pecking order of behaviour in the class...she sounds a lot like your DD!

In saying that, my DD was beyond pleased to get it and I wouldn't want to take that from her.

I do think that it should be fairly spread and given for a real reason; I do feel for your DD too.

stayathomegardener Tue 07-Jun-11 20:52:30

My DD was allocated 'pupil of the week' on a week she was only in for 2 days-says it all really

LindyHemming Tue 07-Jun-11 20:53:09

Hulababy Tue 07-Jun-11 20:59:22

We have Star of the Week where I work. Each class award 1 or 2 a week for various reasons. The certificates say what the certificate is for.

We do ensure that every child gets an award at some point in the year. After all ALL children are good at something and ALL children respond to praise. I don't think it is "cheating" the system or whatever it is just making children proud of being them, whatever that might be for.

Some children always work hard and are conscious, well behaved BUt they are also quiet and don't stand out lots in a big classof children. The ones that are never right at the top, but also not at the bottom either, the ones who are not in trouble but just keep on going. Sad but true. By keeping track of who has had what and when it makes sure that even the quiet ones, the ones who always try hard, get their chance to shine.

Teachers are, after all, human, and can't always remember without making a note to refer to.

LindyHemming Tue 07-Jun-11 21:08:07

merrymonsters Wed 08-Jun-11 00:11:31

I think the teacher would want to know if your daughter was really upset about something. I wouldn't go in demanding a 'star of the week', but I would tell the teacher that she's getting upset.

southofthethames Wed 08-Jun-11 01:05:11

I don't think very much of it - I would teach my child that it is not important to get it, to be sceptical of it if he does, and that it is far more important to try to be a "star" every day - eg helpful, polite, considerate, kind, friendly, etc. I mean, no point getting it one week and being a monster the next. But I have no problem with the teacher using this scheme if she/he wanted to.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 08-Jun-11 01:13:04

Oh I remember the pain when I tried REALLY hard one term so I could get the one termly award they gave out and I never got it...I was SO annoyed.

I know it''s totally not done..and possibly really weird...but can't you ask her teacher? Tell her what DD has said about it? Ask what DD can do?

piprabbit Wed 08-Jun-11 01:17:02

So speak to the teacher.
Say "I hope you don't mind me mentioning but DD is a little upset that she has not been star of the week so far this year. Could you give me any ideas on the sort of things she could try and do to improve her chances?"

Teacher will probably realise there's been a bit of a cock up and she will make sure to reward your DD next time she does something extra well.

MumblingRagDoll Wed 08-Jun-11 01:18:38

I would OP...do as pip says. Your DD is only 8...it's not like you're hassling a secondary school teacher...your DD should get an award. I hope you mange to sort this out.

AlmightyCitrus Wed 08-Jun-11 01:49:44

I remember when they started this at my DC's school (new headmaster's idea). It was great for the first few weeks, but then they realised that they couldn't keep giving it to the same few kids in each class, so the reasons for awarding it became more and more obscure.

bruffin Wed 08-Jun-11 09:12:22

I used to have the same problem with DS. He never got to take the bear home in reception, so had to say something at the end of the summer term. He was one of the quiet well behaved ones.
Also at scouts they had hissing sid and he had been there two years and never taking it home, he was the one boy who was at church parade every month but never got to hold the flag. I did gently remind them.
Although school were pretty good at giving out special mentions.

It all changed when he got to secondary and it went completely the opposite, he won two awards at prize giving. The school only give out two per subject. He was a lower school house captain. He won scout of the year award. He has been on school council and he was even in the school prospectus.

mummytime Wed 08-Jun-11 09:26:17

My DCs school made sure everyone was one twice each year. They had a book with reasons, recording it. They also had another award nominated by TAs and Dinner Ladies, as well as Headteacher awards. At the juniors I pointed out my Dd hadn't had one ever (in year 5) and she was quickly awarded one, and got another a month or two later.

Admittedly in reception the teacher was dealing with some behvioural issues by bribing the pupils "you do x for a whole week and you will get a head teacher's award"; I was tempted to tell my DD to misbehave so she could them be good and get one.

jessica36 Wed 08-Jun-11 10:51:39

My daughter didn`t recieved a star of the week (when she was in reception) - she was really worried about it and was so keen for me to she her picture up with all the gold stars around it ... It never happend.

I didn`t see the point of it when a new girl joined the class and was star of the week 2 days later - her picture remained hanging for 3 weeks before it was replaced.

Luckely my daughter doesn`t care for stars & stickers any longer - that is so not cool anymore !

Everyone should be a star for a week i feel, as every child has something he/she is good at and they all so need to be proud of this! Well done to the school who use this in the correct manner, mine sadly wasn`t.

Jess

bruffin Wed 08-Jun-11 11:15:19

I do sometimes wonder if some people appreciate how much effort some children put into being quiet and good and it is not necessarily that easy for them. I know when my dcs got home from school they could be little sods basically because they had put so much effort into behaving themselves all day, they needed to release it at home.

midnightexpress Wed 08-Jun-11 11:25:28

DS1's p1 class have not only 'star of the week' but also 'star sitter' for being able to sit still for a whole week, as well as a whole school 'secret superstar' thing for extra-curricular fabness, and some other nonsense, whose name and purpose escape me right now.

The thing that really gets my goat though is the daily doling out of coloured pegs - green for good, blue for not so good, down to red for f-ing appalling. On Fridays, the children who have been green all week get a shot in a lucky dip and sometimes an extra playtime, but if you get a blue peg on, say, Monday, that's you knackered for the rest of the week. It doesn't seem exactly motivating, if you know on Monday that you can't redeem yourself for the lucky dip on Friday, then it doesn't matter if your peg is blue for the rest of the week.

DeWe Wed 08-Jun-11 11:29:46

Dd1 commented in reception that the way to maximise stickers got in a week you needed to be naughty in the morning and good in the afternoon. Then you got stickers for "not being bad".
Dd2's comment on their star of the week was you get them for "not being so bad at what you're very bad at."
I wonder how you could make these schemes not so demotivating for the children who are generally good. Having watched several classes through I'm not really convinced it helps most of the "not so good" classmates. I can think of one child it was a great motivator for, but most don't really seem bothered.

Insomnia11 Wed 08-Jun-11 11:33:46

I honestly don't know whether it is token/everyone gets a turn or for genuine merit at DD's school but she got it two weeks in a row in reception she boasted shamelessly.

The coat peg thing sounds complicated and daft.

LindyHemming Wed 08-Jun-11 11:44:00

midnightexpress Wed 08-Jun-11 11:53:29

Yes, insomnia - I note also that after much trumpeting, checking and hulabaloo at the start of the year, the pegs are now at the bottom of the bags and don't seem to be mentioned so perhaps the teachers agree with you too grin

wheresthepimms Wed 08-Jun-11 15:08:44

my DSs old school had a class theme of pirates, and every time they were good they earned a "dbloom" (pirate money) at the end of each term every one counted there coins and got a prize relevant to their behaviour. Worked really well as if you were not good you got coins taken out of your jar. Far more motivating than star of the week as he has at his latest school, where he says everyone knows that if you are bad at the start of the week but turn it around by the end of the week you will get it

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: