Talk

Advanced search

primary school in Warwick/Leamington for a spanish 7 years old girl

(11 Posts)
ukadventure Tue 07-Jun-11 13:01:47

Hi, our family is going to move to Warwick/Leam for a period of 6 months. We come from Barcelona (Spain). We have 3 girls (7-14-15 years old) and need to find a good school for them. We've been told that Myton and North Leam School are really good for the oldests, but we don't know where to apply for our little girl. Could anybody recommend us any primary school where teachers can take care of a girl who doesn't speak English? (She can only say few words..). She loves her actual teacher and school and we need somewhere when she can also feel loved...
We are now looking for a house, and we 'd like to live near the school. We'll be living in Warwick/Leam from September to March 2011. Thank you very much for your help. It's so difficult to arrange eveything living so far away!

naturalbaby Tue 07-Jun-11 13:20:12

I live in this area but my oldest child is only just 3 so I've not got too much advice, but for him I'm looking at Coten End in Warwick (big school but is good), Leek Wootton - you need to live in the village and/or attend church.
In Leamington I think Brookhurst and Milverton are good. You can check Ofstead reports on all the schools in the area.
www.warwickshire.gov.uk/corporate/sps.nsf/webNearest?OpenView&Start=51&Count=30&Expand=52#52

ukadventure Tue 07-Jun-11 15:06:08

Thank you very much for your help!!! We'll be in Warwick next week and we'll try to arrange some meetings with headteachers.

Mum2be79 Tue 07-Jun-11 20:57:27

I have a Spanish 6 year old in my class. She began in November and she can now engage in simple conversations, understand most instructions and is beginning to write simple sentences. I have not given her any special treatment nor regular 1:1 and allowed her to learn from the environment she is in and from her friends.
I'm pleased to say that she is a very happy, well-adjusted little girl who has had an influential effect on the rest of my class. She' even has a slight Yorkshire accent!
What I am trying to say is, visit your local schools and go with your gut instinct. OFSTED grades don't matter. We're a 'Satisfactory' school and mum and step-dad are more than happy with our school, as is Grandma Mary, who herself is a retired teacher.

peckle Tue 07-Jun-11 21:52:58

You need to look at the county council web site admissions are through the county they will advise you. Admission policies have changed recntly ,they will tell you the schools which have places and then you can work from there.

ukadventure Tue 07-Jun-11 21:53:53

I feel really pleased about your message. I'm looking forward to seeing my daugther speaking in English and having a lot of friends!
I agree with you that OFSTED grades are not so important for her. We only hope she will learn English and, of course, being happy..

ukadventure Tue 07-Jun-11 21:59:39

Thanks peckle! We've just spoken to them and we've been told that there are places in quite a lot of schools. So we are probably going to visit some schools and then take a decision.

SnowieBear Wed 08-Jun-11 12:58:23

Ukadventure, I've sent you a message.

veritythebrave Wed 08-Jun-11 13:18:36

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

CRS Wed 08-Jun-11 18:13:47

My son went to Coten End for reception and Year1, and it seemed pretty good - I think it still has a good reputation, as I still have friends (and my parents!) in the area

ukadventure Wed 08-Jun-11 19:25:55

I love mumsnet!! It's fantastic!
Thank you all for your messages!!
I will try to visit Coten End, but I don't know if it's oversubscribed... We need to be lucky...
Someone else has recommended me Telford school in Leam, but I don't know if it's so good for her because they are sure to have a lot of material for older children, but maybe my DD needs materials for younger children.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: