Talk

Advanced search

HELP - appeal for the right school for child

(5 Posts)
Lowe5150 Mon 06-Jun-11 13:54:12

It was my fault that I filled in the school app form 3 days late, and now my child has not got in my chosen school, It is not an excuse but my business is struggling and me and my Husband have been very "pre occupied", however the appeal is in two weeks time, and i feel so guilty, and annoyed. The school is the local catchment area school, my eldest child is already there and there is a younger one to follow. Does anyone know the protocol for these things and give me some advice?

pooka Mon 06-Jun-11 13:57:53

If it is an infant class size appeal (i.e. 30 children per class, and they've filled that quota) then I think it would involve you making the convincing argument that the LEA had failed to follow their procedures in some way. Personal circumstances don't really come into it, from what I'm aware.

Given that you have a dc already at the school, you should be right at the top of the waiting list anyway as having a sibling is usually one of the highest criteria, after looked after children or children with SEN. So hopefully, the waiting list will move and you'll get in that way.

sunnyday123 Mon 06-Jun-11 13:58:33

an expert will come along soon but i imagine you will be on the waiting list and with a sibling you should be fairly high up? Do you know what position you are? In terms of appealing you wont win an appeal if its an infant class size (30, 45, 60 etc in a class) as you have to demonstrate it was their mistake to win a class size appeal and you have admitted it was your own fault. The school can't legally take over the class limit so even if they sympathise with you, they cant go over the class number. If its not an infant class size you may have some luck.

prh47bridge Mon 06-Jun-11 14:46:43

The big question is whether it is an infant class size case. As others have already said, that is determined by the size of classes in Reception, Y1 and Y2. If it is infant class size you need to show that the LA has made a mistake - their admission arrangements don't comply with the Admissions code, they haven't administered their admission arrangements correctly or they have acted perversely. As you were a late application that is unlikely, I'm afraid. You should still go for the appeal. You may strike it lucky but you should be realistic about your chances of success.

If it isn't infant class size you need to show that the prejudice to your child through not being admitted (i.e. the damage to his education) outweighs the prejudice to the school through being forced to admit another child. Concentrate on things this school has which are missing from the allocated school and which are of particular benefit for your child. Don't be negative about the allocated school - that won't help you. And note that difficulties with transport, childcare and the like rarely win appeals. The fact that it may cause you problems if your children don't go to the same school is not going to win you an appeal. What matters is the problems you child will face.

You should also check where you are on the waiting list for this school. If they give priority to siblings you should be at or near the top of the list. That may be your best hope of getting in.

PanelMember Mon 06-Jun-11 15:39:39

I'd echo everything that prh47bridge has said. Give the appeal your best shot but the waiting list is more likely to be your way in.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: