Talk

Advanced search

Remind me again, primary school in england. What age do the children start reception?

(41 Posts)
nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 17:09:09

What age are the childen who will start reception in september?

DS2 was 4 in May. Would he start this year?

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-11 17:14:33

Yes, usually the September after they turn 4 or occasionally a term or so later .

Itsjustafleshwound Fri 03-Jun-11 17:15:25

Yes

Reception - rising 5's (turning 5/ 5th birthday between Sep '11 and July '12)

But being a May baby -still not mandatory i.e. my DS can do half days until Jan '12

lljkk Fri 03-Jun-11 17:15:38

Yes. September, maybe still half days in places.

Goblinchild Fri 03-Jun-11 17:16:10

Legally they have to be in school in the term they are 5 (or HS). So he could start after Easter. Many schools start all of Reception in September, so you run the risk of there not being a place for him after Easter.

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-11 17:20:40

To clarify - 5th B'days between Sept 1 2011 and August 31st 2012 would start Reception this academic year. Technically your ds could stay out of school until Sept 2012 (term after he turns 5) but would go into Year 1 with his peers. Have you applied or are you not currently in UK ?

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 17:46:50

Am in scotland. Was wondering what would happen if we were to move this summer.
He could go to reception if we wanted then? hmmmmm.

LIZS Fri 03-Jun-11 17:49:08

He could, but you may not get much choice of school as the applications will have been processed by now and places allocated.

Pavlovthecat Fri 03-Jun-11 17:52:29

DD started the sept following her 4th birthday - in july. We were told that full time from the off was normal, but not compulsory. We were told that they would accommodate individual needs, and that could include short weeks, half days if required, but they would prefer we started full time to see how they got on, and reviewed regularly.

DD did f/t straight away from the beginning. As headteacher rightly said, she does not like leaving earlier than her friends, even if tired (we have picked her up early before to do something/go away etc and she is like 'oh!' but I wanted to stay til home time!'

<waves> you coming back to England then my lovely?

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 17:52:35

Good to know, thanks.

prh47bridge Fri 03-Jun-11 17:57:27

I hope you already have a place for your son to start in September. If you don't you may have very little choice as to which school he goes to as most schools will be full up.

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 18:04:35

Only at the 'lightbulb' idea stage at the moment as a job has come up.

prh47bridge Fri 03-Jun-11 19:23:07

Oh dear.

The deadline for applying for a place for your son to start school in September was in mid-January. You are over 4 months late. Places have already been offered to everyone who applied.

You need to apply to your local authority for a place NOW. Do not delay. Unfortunately you have missed the normal admissions round so most schools will not have any place for your son. They will be full up with children whose parents applied on time. Even having an older sibling at the school will not be enough to get him in.

You may be lucky and get a place at your local school but I am afraid it is likely you will end up with a place at an unpopular school which could be miles away.

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 19:25:48

never fear, do not worry.
i can't possibly apply for places as i haven't been offered a job.

thanks for the advice, what will be will be. he can start later if need be.

prh47bridge Fri 03-Jun-11 19:38:51

What has being offered a job got to do with applying for places? You don't have to be in work to get a place at primary school for your son. Or are you saying you are going to move if you are offered the job? What are you going to do if you don't get the job?

Your son is due to start school in September and you haven't got a place for him. Leaving it until later will not make a place magically appear. The schools will still all be full. If you apply now at least you can get on the waiting list for your local schools so you will get a place if one comes up. If you leave it until later you won't even be on the list.

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Fri 03-Jun-11 19:39:54

nevergoogle - yes, but your DC needs to go to school somewhere, ie where you live now.

I assume you have not applied at all by your posts.

Only alternative to late application and taking what is left will be homeschooling. But you do need to actively educate your child, not just allow them to potter about at home like preschoolers.

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 19:45:17

if we stay in scotland, then he is not due to start primary 1 until august 2012.
he has a nursery place until then.

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 19:46:34

hi pav. maybe. wink
maybe see you there. grin

hmmSleep Fri 03-Jun-11 19:47:30

In Scotland they go later.

hmmSleep Fri 03-Jun-11 19:49:04

X- post grin

Also, Like you are considering a move, so will others in England who have been allocated a place, so one could free up.

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 19:50:49

why do i feel like i'm getting a telling off? hmm

CarrotsAreNotTheOnlyVegetables Fri 03-Jun-11 19:55:13

Ah, I see didn't realise that.

Sorry for telling off, didn't realise system was different in Scotland! grin

You can't apply for places until you move anyway, so would be making an in year application. Places will often free up after the term starts as people move, even in popular schools.

heronsfly Fri 03-Jun-11 19:58:21

Good primary schools are only over subscribed in certain areas, Im in Kent we have several outstanding schools around us, and most of those will have a few places spare come september smile

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 20:02:05

yes, the system here is different, in term dates and also in ages they start, and there's no reception, just primary 1-7.
for us weirdos that cross the border whenever we fancy, it gets pretty complicated.

looks like the first step is actually getting a job offer, then see what places are available and figure it out from there.

nevergoogle Fri 03-Jun-11 20:03:51

thinking of moving back to an area we lived in before and the schools weren't oversubscribed a couple of years ago.
who knows.

all good info to consider, thanks (and for the telling off, haven't had one for a while) grin

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: