Talk

Advanced search

Primary School Admissions Appeal

(15 Posts)
AutumnSonata Thu 02-Jun-11 16:03:11

Hi everyone,

This is my first post, so I'm still finding my way around. I thought I was previously a member, but I can't remember any login details if I was..but nevermind, that's an aside.

My MIL asked a friend of hers who advised me to try on here for any advice from those who have been through the process (either successfully or not so) to see what sort of questions they ask, what sort of preparation I should be doing.

Essentially, we missed out on a spot at the nearest school by 9.97 metres. ALL of DD's friends from pre-school are going to the nearest one.

SarkyLady Thu 02-Jun-11 16:05:30

on what grounds do you intend to appeal?

where is she on the waiting list?

LIZS Thu 02-Jun-11 16:09:03

If the infant classes are full (ie at 30) then I think you need to demonstrate that an error has been made in processing your application. Check the criteria for allocating places. Presumably all others live nearer or are siblings.

AutumnSonata Thu 02-Jun-11 16:41:21

We're third on the waiting list!

The criteria are: looked after children, medical reasons, siblings then distance. I initially just went on distance, but I think I should have put down my medical things down - I don't know if it makes any difference or if it'd work on an appeal, but I'm still being monitored after treatment for leukaemia - would that have any bearing? I didn't want to use it..but now I feel that I should becuase my DD is really unhappy about being away from her friends.

prh47bridge Thu 02-Jun-11 17:43:39

As LIZS says, if the school has any classes in Reception, Y1 or Y2 that would have 30 children in them if all three years were full this will be an infant class size appeal. To win such an appeal you need to show that a mistake has been made. I'm afraid there is nothing in your post that indicates a mistake has been made. You can still try and you may strike it lucky but it is a long shot.

If it is not an infant class size appeal you stand a better chance. You then need to show that the difficulties your daughter will face through not being admitted outweigh the difficulties the school will face through admitting an additional child.

If you had submitted evidence of your condition at the time of your original application you could argue that your daughter should have been placed in the medical reasons category. Unfortunately the fact you didn't submit that information means the LA hasn't made a mistake. In any case, whether your condition would have got your daughter in the medical reasons category depends on the LA's rules and whether you can show that your condition means you need this particular school. The fact you have medical issues is not enough in itself to get priority. You can still submit evidence on this to see what the panel make of it, of course.

admission Thu 02-Jun-11 18:52:19

I do not believe that you will get anywhere with trying to get in the medical reasons category. In many LAs it is very sparingly allowed and whilst i do not in any way diminish your situation, it does not mean that it is the only school that your daughter can go to.
To loose out on a place by 9.97 metres is galling but it happens. How is the distance measured? If it is straight line distance then it is unlikely to be wrong but if it is shortest walking distance I would ask exactly what route was used if there is the possibility of different ways to the school. Also another issue could be where is the measurement taken at the school. If it says main gate and actually the reception class go in a different gate then this could be to your favour.
You say all your daughter's friends are going, are there any that are obviously further away from the school than you are that do not have siblings or any obvious medical issues? This might suggest that a mistake has been made on the distance measurement.
What i am trying to say is that you need to make sure that no mistake has been made as this is probably the best way that you can potentially get a place at appeal.

whomovedmychocolate Thu 02-Jun-11 19:13:59

The other thing to say is that you can consider this a starting point - you can go on the continued interest list and a place may become available later - my daughter's place for example will not be reallocated till July but we are moving so I know she won't be taking hers up and there is a big waiting list - so you may get lucky. Or you can apply for a transfer in September and see if a place becomes available in the first term.

AutumnSonata Fri 03-Jun-11 08:23:38

Thanks everyone. I do think the chances are very slim and the waiting list is a more likely prospect, despite us being third on it.

I'm not sure where they measure from within the school, but they measure in a straight line (as the crow flies). I can't say for sure if others who got in are further/nearer than us - we thought they were further, but have nothing to really base it on.

At the end of the day, they're both good schools, I just want my DD to be happy. I moved around a lot as a child, so I don't want her to lose/miss her friends.

kitcat83 Fri 03-Jun-11 08:35:59

We are in a very similar position to you Autumn. We applied to our local school for our ds to start in Sept and we have missed out by 16 metres! We were third on the waiting list too but unfortunately have moved down to 6th due to people moving in to the area that are closer than us.

We have been offered a place at an awful school with terrible OFSTED report over a mile and a half away which means that I would have to drive him to school rather than walk the 530 metres to school!

The waiting list will also get longer again as the school has just amalgamated so those with sibling rights will userp us on the list again!!!!! Then in July the school is due to become an acadamy which means that it is out of the CC control, so as you can imagine they are just biding their time as they know its not long before its no longer an issue for them .........

We have our appeal on Monday and it was going to be a class size appeal but the LEA have informed me that to get around the fact they have offered one too many places that they will not offer the 1st place on the waiting list, they have every base covered!

I can sympathise entirely how awful it is, I am also 37 wks preg so not ideal to be going through this right now. I am not holding out any hope for the appeal but feel if I dont try for my son then who will? How are you pitching your appeal?

tallulah Fri 03-Jun-11 09:07:20

We missed out on our first choice school by 8.04 metres sad

We are second on the waiting list ATM and waiting to hear if there has been any movement following the second round of allocations.

The school we've been allocated was our second choice and will be fine if we don't get the other one. It's just that the journey to the first one is easier, shorter and a safer walk (only one road to cross). I'm not appealing because I don't have any grounds to. (Would just like to be able to get on and buy the uniform but don't know whether I'm buying blue or red grin )

whomovedmychocolate Fri 03-Jun-11 09:26:48

I think I'll be buying uniforms at the end of August at this rate tallulah! wink

EttiKetti Fri 03-Jun-11 09:33:27

I have been here unfortunately, my DD2 was at the school, DS had been at the school nursery for 2 years but despite this, we missed out on a place for him - we are the first house NOT in the catchment are for said school sad

Your medical issues are of no importance to them, I am afraid. We appealed, and my DS had mild medical issues (eyesight) but it wasn't fetl to be important enough and in the end we went for another local school and moved both children.

There were 9 of us with siblings already at the school who were out of catchment that year that didn't get a place. The rest all left their older child in place at the school and waited on the WL for a place - only ONE was not offered one before September so you may be in luck!

Its very nerve wracking but I can honestly say, we made the right choice in going with the other school, I was very worried about both moving my DD2 and DS starting school over again with no friends but both are thriving and we have had no problems (thank goodness!). I think we worry more than them!

kitcat83 Fri 03-Jun-11 10:43:19

I am in a total quandry with what to do as if we dont in our appeal, which is unlikely. We will either have to go to the school offered to us, which is on special measures,not close to our home and which was not on our preference of three list. Or stump up the cash for him to go private in the hope we can get him in in Yr 1.

What would any mothers with experience do?

titchy Fri 03-Jun-11 11:04:18

Kitcat - or, keep him at home a bit longer? Depending on when his birthday is you could keep him home for the whole of reception.

AutumnSonata Thu 09-Jun-11 10:54:54

Hi,

Sorry, I haven't checked back on here and somehow a week has gone by! Have you had your appeal yet, kitcat?

We had ours yesterday, and I have been in a rotten mood since, even though they were very nice in there. A friend of mine locally (who was also appealing, but who has now changed her mind) said that apparently, appeal children don't count towards the class sizes? So they can get around it. I don't know though, I feel it was more of a case of going through the motions than anything else.

We're lucky in that while we did get our third choice, it IS a good school with new facilities. Your alternative sounds a bit horrid, kitcat. I don't know what other options you might have - home ed?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: