Talk

Advanced search

Thoughts on St. Johns Wood Pre-Prep and Abercorn School.

(21 Posts)
SJWMum Thu 02-Jun-11 15:18:42

Moving from overseas at the end of Aug. Thinking of SJW as I've found places for both my sons (nursery and yr 2) in both schools. Likely to be in London around 3 years, with long term plans to re-locate to Oxford. Hubby going to visit both in a few weeks. I'd welcome any honest opinions about either school.

100lilgreen Thu 02-Jun-11 17:39:31

In my opinion, one gets a better all round education at Abercorn because it has more facilities. However, why not ring up Arnold House. It a great school also in SJW which gets better results even though you would only be in London for 3 years. It is all boys but a true English boys prep. Sjw preprep is also good but not amazing

SJWMum Fri 03-Jun-11 01:18:05

I do prefer the idea of Abercorn, as both boys can stay there for our whole duration in London.

Will give Arnold House a call, but all of the other popular schools in the area said no chance for entry this Sept. Only way in is via 7+

100lilgreen Fri 03-Jun-11 13:17:34

Yes, Abercorn is great, Ring North Bridge House, The Hall, Lyndhurst, Hereward House, so many to choose from. Definitely consider AH. If no luck, go for Abercorn

SJWMum Sat 04-Jun-11 01:09:26

All the above said no places, apart from after 7+ exam. With Abercorn my oldest can stay there until we move onto Oxford in a few years. Rather than having to get ready for entrance exams next January.

Anyone got their children in Robinsfield Infants or Barrowhill Junior?

100lilgreen Sat 04-Jun-11 10:09:22

My nephew went to Robinsfield - wasn't bad, not amazing. Although one would be saving the expense, if you can afford it, go for Abercorn.

sobeda Sat 04-Jun-11 11:08:01

I'm also an Abercorn fan. Our eldest two have now left there after going on to their next schools, the youngest one is still there. It's very nurturing, long serving staff, small class sizes, able to teach to all abilities and in recent years has developed a great track record in getting children into schools like City of London, South Hampstead Girls High, UCS, Westminster etc.

100lilgreen Sat 04-Jun-11 17:25:00

Go with Abercorn. You have a place. It goes up to age 13 so you dont need to switch schools. Go for it

SJWMum Tue 28-Jun-11 13:45:33

After visiting both places decided to go for Abercorn. Thanks for your feedback sobeda and 100lilgreen.

Hurshida Sun 30-Oct-11 19:41:18

Hi there, i am a newbie here. DS is 3yrs11 mnths now and has been going to Robinsfield nursery. Despite almost all mothers i have encountered said it is awful, i thought to give it a go and save some of my DH's money smile
i have to admit i was so wrong with my decision and put my DS and myself through misery and humiliation in this school. The school itself offers fantastic facilities(like resources and very big and well equipped playground)but was not impressed but nursery staff as well as the headmistress.
DS started nursery in Jan 2011, at 3 yr 2mnth, not completely potty trained. they helped with potty training but were, what i would call, absurd about their expectations. DS is an active boy, wasn't particularly interested in sitting and listening for a story during circle time. (probably didnt understand much as i speak russian and dad speaks arabic at home= poor childsmile ) the key person recommended to see speech and language therapist as he didn't follow commands,though he followed all the commands in english given by me or the nanny? has been seeing private speech and language therapist who doesn't see any thing wrong with his communication skills appropriate for his age. we still see the same SL therapist, DS loves her company.
Thought it would get better, until DS managed to escape from nursery premises to explore (apparently it happened twice)!!! and the head teacher blamed DS for not being adequate!!!! when i asked what the hell are the teachers for if they can't provide basic safety, she told that my DS needs one adult all the time, which her school aint able to provide. DS enjoyed playing with water tray and often get himself soaking wet, the headmistress claims it is also a safety issue she must take into account, because a child can drown in a water tray!!!! (didnt say a thing as thought saying smth to such a stupid comment would definitely "undermine my mental adequacy")
basically based on above mentioned reasons she asked me to take DS of out nursery!!! I told the staff the DS clearly states the reasons for not wanting to go to robinsfiled, saying that "teacher is not kind", "i don't want to be annoying boy again", "i dont want to be horrible child"

sooo, took him out, and now going to a private nursery and will continue at abercorn. hope my comment helps

mummydorrit Fri 06-Apr-12 13:32:05

Hi sobeda & 100lilgreen, my ds1 has a place at abercorn. Would love some more insight on the academics there and which schools the children go on to at 13+. I read that there is not much inter school sports competitions, is this true? Also that it may not be as academic as some other north London schools? Thanks!!

rose12345 Fri 18-May-12 15:39:05

I strongly disagree with "100 lilgreen" stating that SJW preprep is not fantastic. My son has been there for almost 2 years and IT IS FANTASTIC!!! Very nurturing, excellent academic acheivements (much more advanced then North Bridge House or Abercorn). Cant possibly wish for anything better!

mummyofpan Tue 12-Jun-12 12:44:11

Dear rose12345 thank you for your message about SJWpre-prep. our son had a place there but we accepted one at highgate school pre-prep and we have regretted it!
we were going to try and get him back to SJW pre-prep, do you know if they may have places for reception or year1?

rose12345 Thu 14-Jun-12 16:45:53

mummyofpan, are you not happy with highgate pre-prep?! why??? I dont know much about highgate school, but its got a fantastic reputation, so it would be very interesting to find out why you are not happy with it. Please tell us more! Re you questions - sorry I dont know...

GlitterPunk Fri 15-Jun-12 11:27:30

Just moved to NHG from SJW and I have to say, I really didn't like SJW prep. Abercorn was far nicer, with a warmer atmosphere and friendlier staff.

The reception teacher at SJW pre prep was my old neighbor and she was lovely...the head mistress was rude to me.

As you're moving to NW8 don't forget to sign up at the beauty centre (it's the best thing that's ever happened to me!)

GlitterPunk Fri 15-Jun-12 11:32:16

Also, don't discount the American School. It's our safety school for my DS if I still haven't made a decision regarding primary soon. My first choice is Arnold house.

As far as nursery-- he still goes to Tigerlilies in NW8 because it's simply the best. (It's under a year old, but the staff and supervision is amazing). Sometimes I think about making a Tigerlillies appreciation thread after the hell I went through when my DS was at Carlton Hill.

rose12345 Fri 15-Jun-12 13:10:58

GlitterPunk, what does NHG stand for? what exactly happened at SJW? I actually think the head mistress is very nice! And now the most important question: what beauty centre are you referring to?smile

GlitterPunk Sun 17-Jun-12 07:01:17

Rose! NHG stands for Notting Hill Gate.
SJW is great. I just didn't like SJW pre-prep. Possibly because I was told not to expect my child to get into Westminster for secondary especially if he wasn't able. (The headmistress knew our son was being diagnosed for a special need--however my own DH has the same disability and he did go to Westminster for secondary so I know it's possible). I will never ever forget the way she said that in the middle of her grand tour.

Most importantly: The Beauty Centre is to the left of Cafe Rouge on the High Street, on a side street called Alisten Road. As long as you book all your treatments ahead of time, you'll save tonnes of money smile!

rose12345 Mon 18-Jun-12 14:04:52

thanks GlitterPunk! will pay it a visit - sorry everyone for changing the subjectsmile

GlitterPunk Mon 18-Jun-12 18:55:20

anytime!

Londonmover Thu 04-Apr-13 15:48:29

Hi,

I am asking about this topic again after a year but wanted to know whats the big difference between these 2?

I am moving to London next month and would be staying in SJW. I got admit into both these schools for my 3 year old daughter. I visited both the schools and this is my observation:

Abercorn: Good Campus, Not that academic oriented as SJW since they have their own primary school.

SJW : smaller campus - only 2 rooms, More stress on academics since its a dedicated pre-prep school.

From outside, Abercorn looks more impressive - however, my friend there in SJW tells me SJW pre-prep is better.

I am very confused and any guidance/help would be much appreciated.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now