Talk

Advanced search

Can a teacher please tell me what level this would be marked at?

(108 Posts)
muffinflop Tue 31-May-11 17:36:01

This is exactly how it was written

The magic dragon

Once upon a time there was a magic dragon. He had 5 eyes, 3 mouths and 89 feet.

People kept running away from him! But they didnt know that he was a magic dragon.

The next day he had a thought about everything that had happened. Just then he said hmm I know I will cast a spell on them. That worked and then they all liked him.

Also, how many NC levels are children 'expected' to improve between September and July (ie a school year)?

Thanks!

Sassyfrassy Tue 31-May-11 18:25:20

Roughly a child would be expected to make 2 sublevels of progress in a school year.

Just a quick look at the writing I would say a low lvl 2. Basic story structure, some use of connectives but simple sentences. No speech punctuation. Word choices are fairly basic. Don't take my word for it though as that is just at a quick glance. Really to give a lvl for a child, you want to see a variety of work and know how much adult input the child had.

talkingnonsense Tue 31-May-11 18:43:04

Was that the exact spelling? Because that makes a difference!
Yes, approx two sub levels in a year.

AbigailS Tue 31-May-11 19:01:07

We don't really level single pieces of work, we use a variety of pieces of writing to level the child's writing ability (i.e. level the writer not the writing, if that makes sense.)
If your child was writing consitently at this level when writing independently I would say probably a high level 1 using the APP criteria. Their spelling is really good, not a single mistake. They have secure basic punctuation (I'd target question marks, speech marks and commas), and have varied sentence openings. Before I would award a level 2 I would like to see a more complex structure, varied connectives and word choices.
What year is your DC?
At KS1 we expect 3 sub levels progress per year, once they are on NC levels rather than EYFSP (depending on their birthday and when they are ready). But children's progress is rarely smooth, some stay at the same level for a term, then jump two. Some make 2 sublevels in Year 1, then five in Year 2. So it really does vary child to child.

muffinflop Tue 31-May-11 19:19:07

Thanks for the replies. He's in year 1 but was assessed as a 1a in September when he started the year. After looking through his work last week I'm really disappointed and don't think his teacher has encouraged or guided him at all with anything. Just wanted to check how much improvement there should be before I go in and 'have a word'! It's just the last in a long line of disappointments at his school to be honest.

woahwoah Tue 31-May-11 19:23:47

It's hard to tell as I can't see the handwriting or how the writing is presented (eg spaces between words, regularity etc) but I would say a high level 1 or low level 2. I agree with sassyfrassy, I would need to see more than one piece of work, ideally.
Good spelling, some punctuation, but it needs more ambitious vocabulary and sentence structure, greater length, and more content to be a secure level 2.

AbigailS Tue 31-May-11 19:24:22

1A in September of Year 1 is very high, what did he get for FSP.

mrz Tue 31-May-11 19:26:34

i agree with AbigailS from that piece alone I would be assessing as 1A (not enough for a level 2 - variety of punctuation/connectives/vocabulary and much more detail)
before you have a word I would question a child being assessed as 1A at the end of reception

gordongrumblebum Tue 31-May-11 19:26:50

I'd agree with Abigail -middle/high level 1. It lacks sequence and meaning. (It does have some good connectives though, particularly 'The next day' and 'just then' and FANTASTIC spelling!)

woahwoah Tue 31-May-11 19:28:56

I think the problem may lie with the assessment of 1A in September.

mrz Tue 31-May-11 19:30:01

I agree

AbigailS Tue 31-May-11 19:30:31

Sorry, didn't make myself clear - By connectives I mean words to create a compound sentence, rather than sentence openings, but yes I agree with gordongrumblebum (love the name - think I'll start calling DS that ....) about 'The next day' and 'Just then'.

gordongrumblebum Tue 31-May-11 19:31:35

I'd be bloody livid with reception setting me up with a near L4 in Y2!!! We have enough problems as it is! grin

AbigailS Tue 31-May-11 19:36:45

Yes, without wanting to criticise any of the reception teachers on here, I do find that no matter how good our reception teachers are at assessing EYFSP they seriously over inflate most children if they use NC levels.

mrz Tue 31-May-11 19:37:20

i would be looking for alternatives to "and" as well as interesting sentence openers and more description.

muffinflop Tue 31-May-11 20:10:04

I agree I don't think he should have been levelled a 1A at the beginning of year 1 but I also don't think he's improved as much as he should have done. He's lost a lot of enthusiasm where school is concerned and looking at his work and the lack of teacher comments on anything I can understand why.

mrz Tue 31-May-11 20:18:41

obviously we aren't able to make a comparison to judge progress but a 1A at this stage is good.

BosomForAPillow Tue 31-May-11 21:45:45

I would level this as a 2b - I'm surprised so many people would not give this a level 2. I have seen many pieces of writing awarded 2c when they have virtually no punctuation and barely make sense.

mrz Tue 31-May-11 22:05:23

shock

gordongrumblebum Tue 31-May-11 23:37:20

shock indeed.

Writing assessment is a farce.

IndigoBell Wed 01-Jun-11 08:55:55

So if this is around a level 1a, how can school also tell me my DD is working at a level 1a?

I don't think farce even begins to describe writing assessment sad

bigTillyMint Wed 01-Jun-11 09:02:49

If he has spelled all those words correctly and he is in Y1, then there is a huge gap between his skills and the quality of his writing.

Did he spell all those words correctly?

AbigailS Wed 01-Jun-11 10:04:18

Blimey BosomForAPillow. If that piece is a level 2B all 30 of my year 2 literacy group, including those on the SEN register, would be at least a 2B, with 90% at a substantially higher level at L3B - L4. If that's the case my head will be well chuffed with me for the data (as an infants school our year 2 data is really high profile), but can't say the same for the junior school staff!

I think there may be some aspects of the piece that meet the Level 2 APP criteria on very short piece of writing doesn't mean the child is level 2. The piece is great for a year 1, good spelling and basic punctuation, varied sentence openers, but it lacks the depth and maturity to be a level 2 - if this single piece is indicative of the child's writing generally.

I totally agree the levelling of writing and writers is complex and our teachers debate it for ages at staff meetings to get a consensus. But we do also have external moderation so I'm fairly happy that we are accurate

MumblingRagDoll Wed 01-Jun-11 10:10:01

I can't believe that bigtillymint thinks thee is a huge gap between this childs skills and quality of his writing...the piece is surely excellent for a year 1 child???

MumblingRagDoll Wed 01-Jun-11 10:14:00

My dd is inn year 2 and at a very good school...she is a July baby but her work is only marginally better than that piece and er teachers are very pleased with her progress as am I.

Levels are a pita....it's obvious to me that the OPs child writes well for his age and that should be enough.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now