Advanced search

ADHD and Surrey Primary Schools

(18 Posts)
rakad Tue 31-May-11 16:24:48

Hey, as a first time user, any advice that ayone could give me would greatly be appreciated. I have a 5yr old boy who has recently been diagnosed with ADHD. Whilst he's in mainstream state school (who aren't being very helpful!), school are finding him a great challenge i.e inattention, restlessness etc! SO can anyone PLEASE give me alternatives i.e Schools in the Surrey area with better SEN provision - state or independant / or names of schools that are more used to dealing with ADHD children. Tips for helping him to learn in/out school would also be appreciated..


IndigoBell Tue 31-May-11 16:37:04

I don't know any schools in Surrey.

But have you got a statement or applied for one? If school can't cope with him this is what you really, really need to do.

If you post over on the SN Childrens board you will prob get more / better replies....

HattiFattner Tue 31-May-11 16:40:56

where in SUrrey - Tis a big place! North/south/west/east

I can advise on West.

MmeBlueberry Tue 31-May-11 16:58:20

Some schools have separate units attached to mainstream schools, such as Pyrcroft Grange in Chertsey.

rakad Tue 31-May-11 17:33:34

School doesn't believe he is anywhere near getting a statement(?) and would prefer I medicate, which at this stage I dont want to do. I'm in Epsom, but am happy to travel to a school that will better suit my son. I just feel that the school that he is currently at, is not suited to his needs, nor are school willing / able to accept his!

Thanks to the responses

IndigoBell Tue 31-May-11 17:43:04

I knew you would say school don't think he needs a statement smile

Apply yourself. Today. If school can't cope with him then by definition he needs a statement.

They obviously can't ask you to medicate......

That is not to say you shouldn't also move schools. You probably should. And another school will hopefully be better. But apply for a statement as well as researching other schools......

MmeBlueberry Tue 31-May-11 17:50:15

Is your DS on Ritalin now? Are you doing all you can from the medical route?

One thing to be aware of, especially boys, is that they can be very restless in school at that age.

cyb Tue 31-May-11 17:53:28

I thought statements only applied where a child was 2 academic years behind their peers educationally

Your son seems very young to be diagnosed with ADHD. Was it a private diagnosis?

LIZS Tue 31-May-11 17:56:13

A statement can apply for any need for additional support. However LA's and thereby schools can be reluctant to apply. Rakad, you can apply yourself anyway.

oddgirl Tue 31-May-11 18:08:06

My DS is approx 2 years ahead in numeracy and above average in all other areas. He is statemented and needs to be for social and behavioural issues. I applied and fought for a statement and this was the best thing I have ever done. You have nothing to lose by applying for one, particularly if despite the extra measures the school has implemented, your DS still cant access the curriculum appropriately. Dont be fobbed off by the school-I was told all sorts of nonsense such as the 2 years behind academically thing and even that the on-line form would be "too difficult" for me to fill in. As it only required my name and address, I overcame that hurdle...

rakad Tue 31-May-11 18:39:37

Mmeblueberry - he isnt on Ritalin or any other form of medication and have tried altering diet, homeopathy etc nothing has had much effect.
The problem with trying to get him statementing is (and believe me i've tried) is that he's NOT 2 yrs behind his peers... he's only been in school for 2 terms
The problem I have that as he's only just 5, I don't want to medicate him and school think that unless I do, he'll fall further behind, be harder to control and not 'access the curriculum'. I believe that if I could find an alternative school who understood his condition and were willing to help him, then the problem would be a lot smaller

IndigoBell Tue 31-May-11 18:54:28

You absolutely don't need to be academically behind to get a statement.

And I only wish it were true that being 2 years behind academically meant you qualified. Nope - being 2 years behind doesn't magically mean you get a statement either.

If school can't cope with your DS, for example he needs Significant 1:1, then you qualify. So your DS clearly meets the criteria.

DillyDaydreaming Tue 31-May-11 19:03:12

I am sitting here and just thinking "find another school". If there are several in your area then be prepared to visit them all. I am so fortunate that my son is in a very supportive school who were behind me all the way with the Statementing process - he has ADHD and is also ASD. I am in Essex but I also know that the support varies from school to school. There is another school locally which is lovely but which just does not do well with children who have additional needs. The compalints I hear from parents are shocking and in the line of "can you come and collect him" at lunchtimes. My DS's school would never do this and are currently supporting a little girl who has been excluded from three other schools for behavioural problems - they are achieving more than any other school has.

So definitely shop around
Apply for the statement yourself and don't be fobbed off.

rakad Tue 31-May-11 19:16:44

DillyDaydreaming, you are talking about exactly the school I am looking for, understanding, helpful and supportive!! Anyone, any suggestions in the Surrey / Epsom / Esher area??
IndigoBell, the LEA and School aren't just saying that being behind is the only criteria, but just the one that they cling onto when complaining about my DS. In my opinion, and from my experience, the state system mostly only help the children that 'fit' into the system, and all the other ones well .....

Can I just say, that as a first time user, all your comments so far have been much appreciated. Thankyou

cyb Tue 31-May-11 19:27:31

At my school statements are only issued for the children in the greatest of need- a child with a social communication disorder may get a package of 1:1 support for a few hours a week but it isn't a statement (still takes as many hoops to jump through to get one of these though)

mrz Tue 31-May-11 19:46:52

My son has ASD /ADHD but no statement because he didn't struggle academically. In my LEA it is extremely difficult to obtain a statement even for children who are falling behind.

cyb Tue 31-May-11 20:22:10

Same as ours mrz-there just isn't the money and if a child joins the school later who is more 'needy' they get bumped to top of list even if wheels have been set in motion

I worked with 2 children, a little boy with Downs Syndrome and a little girl with global developmental delay/ASD and mobility issues and even they havent got full time support

I'm in Surrey, btw

mrz Tue 31-May-11 20:25:27

I've never met a child who has got full time support statements are still very much a lottery

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: