Talk

Advanced search

Talking to a reception class help!

(8 Posts)
MissPB Sun 29-May-11 17:32:21

I have been asked to talk to my dd's reception class about my Scottish culture and heritage for the school multicultural week. Just a question for early years teachers really - can you give me advice on how long I should talk for, how to present things like a kilt, food and so on?

I thought about letting the children hold it to see how long it is and to wrap it around a few of the children too - to make it a bit more fun and interactive. Does this sound ok?

Panzee Sun 29-May-11 17:34:12

Definitely let them touch it/hold it. Wrapping it around them does sound like fun.
If you can pass things around they will like that too.

mrz Sun 29-May-11 18:09:36

and anything they get to eat is an instant hit grin

myBOYSareBONKERS Sun 29-May-11 20:37:04

Get a big map of Britain and pin it up. Choose children to come and put a sticker as to where they think Scotland is. (teaching geography)

Show them pictures of things related to Scotland eg haggis, highland cows, lockness monster etc

Dress up in Scottish outfits

Highland dancing and bagpipes

MissPB Mon 30-May-11 11:06:42

Great ideas thank you. How long should it be? I was thinking no more than 15 mins but another parent is going to talk/do things for 30 minsshock!

mrz Mon 30-May-11 11:20:58

I would keep it short 15 mins sounds fine you can always go on if they have questions.

blackeyedsusan Mon 30-May-11 13:25:24

short and sweet. sitting still listening is not great when you are only 4 or 5.

tell them you are going to choose someone who is sitting nicely to try some things on...

get them to stand up and twirl on the spot (or whatever like highland dancing) orr sit in a big circle and girls/redgroup/ go into the middle

Bribe them to be sensible... you ill choose someone sensible to do.../try...

if someone starts being a bit silly.. "oh dear, I hope you are going to sit nicely, I will be looking for someone sensible to do....) the teacher ill probably have little naughty jonny sat very close to her so don't worry.

coastgirl Mon 30-May-11 13:30:28

Ask them what they already know about Scotland - should be good for a laugh if nothing else grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now