Talk

Advanced search

Year 4 entry to Ealing schools- local advice needed please

(5 Posts)
DialsMavis Sat 28-May-11 22:49:36

We are relocating to Northfields in Ealing over the summer and DS will be starting year 4 in September. We will be aiming to move into the catchment for Fielding primary school.

I am a little confused as to how the in year admission policy works, can anyone help?

I check the availability list here frequently but there only ever seem to be places at Fielding in year 5 or sometimes even 6. Is there a waiting list that someone living in catchment would get offered a place first? or is it just 1st come 1st served regardless of address and the places shown are the only ones and there are no waiting list available to join?

Also what other local schools are people happy with? We are total country mice and to say I am a little nervous about moving DS to a dodgy London school would be an understatement!

northfieldsmum Tue 31-May-11 06:12:39

Hi, just read your thread. Allocation of places is based on who is closest to the school on the waiting list. Although - you may be no.1 on the list and if someone moves in and is closer than you they will get the place.

However, my DC are at Grange Primary and are happy & doing well. It is a newly built school with great facilities - doesn't have the grassy fields of Fielding though, but near to parks. It is multicultural as are many in Ealing.

Oaklands is also not far.

Go see the schools for yourself and get a feel. Talk to them about admissions. There will be a place somewhere for your DC don't worry. The panic at the moment is reception places, schools all over the area are expanding to accommodate a growing number of children.

DialsMavis Tue 31-May-11 08:19:34

Thanks for replying to me smile. Grange Primary is one with plenty of places in year 4 so that is very reassuring to know. I will try and up to look round some schools but it is tricky to come mid week, will grab a Granny to do school pick up and brig the baby up for lunch a nose round several schools. The only reason I know about Fielding is a good friends DC go there.

prh47bridge Tue 31-May-11 09:48:15

Just for clarity, if there is a waiting list you will take your place on that list according to the admission criteria for the school. However, if you move into the area and there are no places available within a reasonable distance from your home the council will allocate you a place somewhere, even if the school they choose is full. This allocation would almost certainly be to the nearest school that was best able to handle an additional pupil. Your preferences may have little to do with the school you are actually allocated.

DialsMavis Tue 31-May-11 19:22:11

Thank you smile We will be moving the very beginning of the summer holidays I am hoping dreaming that more spaces may be available then as other people may be finishing the school year before moving.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now