Talk

Advanced search

BOOM! The reading bug has bitten DS1

(6 Posts)
noid Sat 28-May-11 21:57:17

He's been given dire, dire books at school (Ginn without tonic) and doing Reading Chest at home.

On Thursday he picked up one of his picture books (Can't you sleep Little Bear). And he read it, all the way through. And then he realised he could read all five of the little bear books and the hungry caterpillar and some dogs do, and some Dr Seuss.

Is there a list anywhere of real books graded by difficulty? I want to encourage him by putting the more accessible ones at the top of the pile for him, rather than let him dive into more complicated stuff and get discouraged.

This is lovely grin

ElectricSoftParade Sat 28-May-11 22:01:29

Noid that is fantastic. It really does make you happy when your dc "get it".

Not really much help from me as ds has taken to reading his Doctor Who annuals and mags but he loves a book called Guess who's coming to dinner? I love this book as well but that's because its funny. Give him anything and everything, so exciting!

ElectricSoftParade Sat 28-May-11 22:05:18

A friend gave me a great big pile of books for my dd yesterday. She is in Reception and really hasn't shown much interest until these books appeared yesterday. This is because Mummy didn't get them and they are from XXX who is the bee's knees. She got my ds to read them to her (he is Year 1).

Watching them actually brought a tear to my eye. I am not known for being sentimental but this did get the old prickly eye going on.

blackeyedsusan Sat 28-May-11 23:04:02

this book it is expensive, see if the library has a have a copy.

some here

blackeyedsusan Sun 29-May-11 11:28:37

dd has just read can't you sleep little bear. just found a list of other books she has read...
Harry and the dinosaurs Ian Hybrow
Owl Babies Martin Waddel
Nighty Nignt Colin McNaughton
Duck in the truck Jez Alborough
The Tiger Who Came to Tea Judith Kerr
Kiss goodnight Sam Amy Hest
Down in the woods at sleepy time Carole Leva Schaefer
One potato Sue Porter

wordsmithsforever Sun 29-May-11 16:02:41

Ginn without tonic! Love it! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now