Talk

Advanced search

Yr3 two kids suspended this week...

(123 Posts)
Nicechair Sat 28-May-11 19:16:13

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Panzee Sat 28-May-11 19:17:14

They must have no behaviour problems if that's what they've been suspended for. Some of ours have not even been suspended for assaulting teachers.

bigTillyMint Sat 28-May-11 19:17:51

The correct term is "fixed term exclusion" wink

Yes, sadly it happens a lot.

Nicechair Sat 28-May-11 19:20:10

LynetteScavo Sat 28-May-11 19:21:47

Yes, I can believe it.

What are you surprised about, 8 year old boys pushing and kicking, or that the school has given them a fixed term exclusion?

Nicechair Sat 28-May-11 19:24:19

LynetteScavo Sat 28-May-11 19:28:51

Well, that will teach me to to presume it was a boy behaving badly! blush

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 19:32:13

I don't really see what is wrong with it, especially if there had been previous warnings. Kids are too familiar with 'empty threats' now and so to follow one up would not only send a message to those kids but to all the kids in the school. Good on the HeadMaster/mistress.

bigTillyMint Sat 28-May-11 19:34:04

Well it could be that the school hasn't got enough strategies in place / ethos of inclusion - knee-jerk / inflexible behaviour policy / pressure from other parents ....

Or the behaviour was truely violent and happened despite support - last resort. And they will look to put other strategies in place on the childs return.

Nicechair Sat 28-May-11 19:34:14

bigTillyMint Sat 28-May-11 19:35:36

"It's shocked me that two kids in the same week are. Not in class for behavioural reasons."

Sorry, can you explain what you mean? smile

ArsumLardis Sat 28-May-11 19:38:24

I have a DS who got a fixed term exclusion in y2 (involved kicking adults). Was on my birthday too, what a great day that was sad.
Somebody on MN was trying to interview parents about the experience.

letthembe Sat 28-May-11 19:38:29

I'd need more info to give an educational based opinion, but it does sound pretty harsh. In the past, I've been injured separating fights, had my phone stolen (later returned), been told to fuck off, 11 year olds arriving at schools with hangovers, caught Y5 and 6s smoking in the toilets etc. etc. No fixed term exclusions!

TheFlyingOnion Sat 28-May-11 19:39:01

There was a year 1 kid suspended from my class when I was on placement.

Pretty sure he had emotional "issues"....

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 19:39:39

Better they are out of class for a week and the other kids can continue with normal lessons than the whole class being disrupted if that is what is happening. It is very difficult to teach when even one pupil is being disruptive and personally I don't see why everyone else should suffer! Simples!

TheFlyingOnion Sat 28-May-11 19:39:53

letthembe why no exclusions? It would send a pretty strong message, no?

Nicechair Sat 28-May-11 19:40:39

bigTillyMint Sat 28-May-11 19:41:38

Children who get fixed term / permanent exclusions generally have social / emotional issues which result in the inappropriate behaviours. Sometimes the reason for this can be diagnosed, sometimes it is purely down to experiences / parenting, etc and sometimes a mixture of the two.

bigTillyMint Sat 28-May-11 19:42:59

It may be very unusual in some schools, but happen much more frequently in others. For a whole range of reasons.

purplepidjin Sat 28-May-11 19:47:51

I know a kid excluded in year r. Sent to the primary equivalent of a PRU.

Parents were dealing and taking drugs at the heavy end. Kid was well used to mum or dad lying down with the needle still in.

Oh and they were neighbours of mine so not only is this first hand, it was a reasonable part of a small relatively wealthy town sad

TheFlyingOnion Sat 28-May-11 19:52:02

drugs involved in the yr 1 exclusion also.

Its so sad, you could map these kids' miserable lives out for them, at 5 or 6 yeard old....

letthembe Sat 28-May-11 19:53:22

Oh it was the head, she thought their lives were hard enough (there were children with child protection involvement and kids with ASBOs) - they lives were pretty shite but things spiralled out of control quickly in terms of classroom and playground behaviour. Eventually, there were a few exclusions. Funnily, I am now working in a different school.

bigTillyMint Sat 28-May-11 19:53:39

Yep.

NomadInNowhere Sat 28-May-11 20:04:18

It is understandable that many of these kids have extremely difficult lives but the one thing they don't have is rules and boundaries which is what children desperately need. Sending them home if their parents are dealing etc might not be the best option but they do need some sort of discipline to even feel cared about and secure.

TheFlyingOnion Sat 28-May-11 20:04:35

funny, that letthembe, she sounds a nightmare...

Obviously some of these kids have shitty lives, but its hardly fair on the other 29 who are trying to learn. They should go to referral units if they're that bad imo...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now