Talk

Advanced search

DD starting reception in September when do you buy the school uniform?

(22 Posts)
Fiddledee Wed 25-May-11 11:03:46

Do I buy it before the school holidays as its quieter and more stock but then worried that she will grow or buy it in August but then worry that I won't be able to buy everything?

CMOTdibbler Wed 25-May-11 11:06:37

Order it early, leave all tags on jic. Or if they have a summer dress, then buy 3 of those a size up (cos they will be fine even 2 sizes too big) and leave everything else till later.

toughdecisions Wed 25-May-11 11:06:49

Keep an eye out for MnS 3for2 which usually comes along late July? Can do the lot online & can work out cheaper than Tesco. Trousers certainly better quality, don't know if same applies to skirts.

meditrina Wed 25-May-11 11:07:56

Buy on the large side anyhow. Most things are in the shops for long enough that you can leave it until nearer the time. But not the weekend before school starts unless you want one of the most hellish shopping trips you'll ever have. Mid-August might be the sensible compromise.

Exception: navy tights.

Don't know why, but they always seem to vanish in about 2 days and never seem to reappear. So get them when you see them.

dikkertjedap Wed 25-May-11 18:16:26

I would buy the logo stuff now, tbh I would buy everything (including PE bag and book bag, lunch bag, water bottle) except shoes and plimsolls now. There is a lot of choice of both winter and summer stuff at the moment. Also, if she will be a lot outside then I would make sure that you have some warm trousers, long sleeved shirts with jumper and warm waterproof coat (might need to check with school if they go out in all weather and for how long). Also, if you buy it all now you give yourself plenty of time to label everything and even more importantly, your dd to start getting used to dressing and undressing herself as she will need to be able to do that for PE. Many schools will also be selling second hand stuff around this time, and some of the stuff may be in great condition.

UniS Wed 25-May-11 19:59:05

Ask if school do a 2nd hand uniform sale at end of summer term or at summer fund-raising event. If they do, shop then.
Ask a parent or 3 who have kids at the school how much stuff HAS to be logo and how much can be generic, you can save pounds and pounds by not buying age 4-5 logo polos if you don't have to. They trash their shirts in Year R,its much like preschool with regard to paint, glue, dinner, sand, mud, felt tip etc.

Fayrazzled Wed 25-May-11 20:03:24

M&S usually does their 3 for 2 on uniform in June, so start keeping an eye out shortly.

MrsBrollyhook Wed 25-May-11 21:31:31

Def agree, buy soon - except shoes/pumps. The M&S 3 for 2 is usually free delivery too, so works out good value and quality.

blackeyedsusan Wed 25-May-11 22:53:23

found asda stuff to be of good quality too. buy now, some stuff goes out of stock by the end of june. Which reminds me , I need to buy dd some new trousers.. deep sigh

myBOYSareBONKERS Thu 26-May-11 21:14:16

buy all logo'd stuff now as once the school closes for the summer you wont be able to get it (if you have to order via the school like I do).

The rest I wait until the offers are in the shops around August time

ggirl Thu 26-May-11 21:24:37

yy get in june
bugger all left by the end of the summer
especially summer stuff which they still wear in sept
boys shorts esp

ggirl Thu 26-May-11 21:25:25

cos I know your dd wants boys shorts obv hmm

freshprincess Thu 26-May-11 21:27:44

Leave school shoes as late as you can. I've learnt that lesson the hard way.

nancy75 Thu 26-May-11 21:27:49

get it as soon as you can, and although it sounds slightly like deranged advice at the beginning of June, if you see school tights buy as many pairs as you can because once it gets to winter there won't be 1 pair left in the size you want!

Fiddledee Thu 26-May-11 22:16:51

thanks I think I will buy some of it soon and leave the shoes until last (will turn up at John Lewis the minute they open). Will look out for dark blue tights, can't really go wrong for size.

need to confirm that she needs a summer outfit for the first half of term - hope she doesn't outgrow it by the summer

mungogerry Thu 26-May-11 22:27:30

John Lewis do fab tights - wash and wear relly well.

JiltedJohnsJulie Fri 27-May-11 12:47:15

You could always buy the summer uniform a little too big if you are worried about her outgrowing it by September.

Agree with the others, get the logo'd stuff now, buy the rest in the M&S 3for2 and Sainsburys does good school uniform too. Get the shoes as late as you feel comfortable with.

piprabbit Fri 27-May-11 12:56:49

Make the most of 3 for 2 offers by stock-piling larger sizes for future years (so get 2 skirts for this year plus one for next year). It's not like they suddenly won't need it.

Elibean Fri 27-May-11 13:38:09

dd's nursery (attached to primary she is going to in Sept) had a 'fancy dress' today whilst the school had 'mufti'.

dd chose to go in her school uniform, already bought (a little too big) for Sept grin

Sylvaniasandwich Fri 27-May-11 15:58:45

I do always leave mine until the last minute and then regret it as there is nothing left on the shelves. But you can always order online from M&S and get them to deliver to your local store for free.

cookcleanerchaufferetc Fri 27-May-11 19:45:37

When you get school shoes go to the shops first thing, like 855 for 9 am opening otherwise the queues are horrendous!

Michaelahpurple Fri 27-May-11 21:53:10

Agree with above. It drives me mad how John Lewis runs out of everything by early Sept and then has the cheek not to restock even basics like white shirts until Feb (really - happened to me this year). They seem to have no concept that a) we might not have bought by then and b) children grow, get indelible pen all over shirts etc, such that one might very well want more shirts come December. We don't go into winter unifrom until after half term, and I am caught out everytime!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now