Talk

Advanced search

How can i challenge my son in reading?

(19 Posts)
matchbox2020 Thu 19-May-11 20:41:06

my son is 6 years old and is in year 1. He is currently reading stage 9 books which he is reading with ease. i want him to try and start reading something that will challenge him further and wanted to know what others in this situation have done? I have thought about maybe reading a harry potter book with him as he enjoys the films just a couple of pages a night to start, what does everyone think?

IndigoBell Thu 19-May-11 21:14:34

Beast quest.

PatriciaHolm Thu 19-May-11 21:15:00

DD is about the same and is happily read short chapter books like Mr Majeika, some Roald Dahl. I don't think she'd get Harry Potter yet, but your DS might if he's watched it.

matchbox2020 Thu 19-May-11 21:28:34

He has read a couple of the beast quests to himself - we have all the roald dahl books so may get him to try them, thanks.

JemimaMop Thu 19-May-11 21:31:56

DS2 was roughly that level at the end of Year 1. Not sure whether they challenge him but he enjoyed (and still does a year later) things like Mr Gum and Roald Dahl. He also likes the Horrible Histories series and the Terry Deary historical fiction books.

simpson Thu 19-May-11 21:59:41

OP' I am having exactly the same problem with my DS (also yr1 who is on level 9 too)

I have recently tried him with a Horrid Henry book which did not really do it for him tbh sad

Will be watching this thread with interest grin

Tiggles Thu 19-May-11 22:11:45

DS read the first Harry Potter in reception, he also enjoyed the Faraway Tree and Wishing Chair (Enid Blyton) series. In year 2 he loved Beast Quest.
He also read lots of history fact books, Horrible Histories, and encyclopedia type ones too.
Taking him to the library he found loads of 'one off' books that he enjoyed.

simpson Thu 19-May-11 22:18:56

DS loved the ladybird stories for 5yr olds (he is still 5)

and a book called: Friday Suprise by Anne Fine & Helen Flock (sorry can't so links blush) about a little boy who gets fed up of doing tests smile

he read them all himself and loved them.

I have to be careful what he reads as he is quite sensitive and has nightmares about anything with a witch in (even a friendly one!!) and would not cope with anything scary.....

Elsjas Fri 20-May-11 11:25:32

My ds is in year one. He has read some Roald Dahl (Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, James and the Giant Peach etc), Enid Blyton (the Faraway Tree series and the Secret Seven, but found Famous Five a bit too difficult) the Tumtum and Nutmeg books, Horrid Henry and any book relating to football. He has read all these independently but wouldn't read Harry Potter as the fact that he has to sleep in a cupboard under the stairs freaked him out.

Elk Fri 20-May-11 11:38:53

Could you just take him to the library so that he could pick out some books that he would like to read.

I only have dd's (5 and 8) but they both enjoy the horrible histories series.

toughdecisions Fri 20-May-11 12:27:08

Dinosaur Cove series goes down well with DS age 6 for reading to himself. He too liked Faraway Tree but we read alternate pages. (Length of book intimidated him.)

Just started reading Best loved children's stories by Rudyard Kipling to DS at bedtimes & it's a huge hit. Got a lovely copy with illustrations by Isabelle Brent from The Works for only £1.99 !

ClenchedBottom Fri 20-May-11 12:35:44

Maybe take him to the library and see what he likes the look of? For extra reading outside school stuff, then I would say that the level doesn't really matter - if it's a little too simple then it will help with fluency/expression/comprehension too maybe and can be really good for DC who need a little more confidence with their reading. If it's too tricky, then he can read it with an adult in a more supported way.

There are lots of lovely non-fiction texts for DC of this age, try some of the Usborne 'See inside' series maybe?

TBH I wouldn't worry too much about the 'challenge' and go for the enjoyment factor above anything.

(Sorry about the overuse of 'maybe' in this message!)

Maybe......

matchbox2020 Thu 26-May-11 19:45:39

Thank you everyone for the messages. My sons school has now moved him onto stage 10 books which he is still reading with ease but least he is moving up. we are also reading roald dahl books which he is really enjoying. He loves reading.

We get around 6 books a week out of the library - his auntie works there so we go often. Also his school is newly built and have their own library which he can pick one fiction and one non fiction to read at a time.

Read is something he enjoys and something i strongly encourage of him. He also enjoys sitting with his younger siblings and reading to them which i feel helps them bond and build a relationship.

Crazybusyme Thu 26-May-11 21:05:52

My ds is also 6 / yr1 and loving the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series and also Tintin... Astrosaurs are quite good fun too...

Seeline Fri 27-May-11 12:08:47

My Ds always preferred the Dirty Bertie books to the Horrid Henry ones - with titles such as Poo, Burp and Pants what's not to like for a 6yo boy? wink (They are much better than they sound - don't be put off by the titles!)

fun12 Fri 27-May-11 12:28:09

My ds is also in year 1 and just moved onto free reading - after book band 12 at our school. What really got him reading long books with ease and avid interest was the club penguin official guide and choose your own path stories, and the moshi monster books.
I know they're not exactly educational, but i literally had to force him to stop reading at bed time and once he'd read a few of the he's never looked back with reading longer chapter books which he would have not been keen on before.

alana39 Fri 27-May-11 14:44:50

Beast Quest is great as long as the child reads them (don't do what I did and read 18 in a row or you will lose the will to live).

Astrosaurs, Captain Underpants, Wimpy Kid, lots of the Dick King-Smith books, and Harry Potter is good for taking turns reading with a capable 6 y/o but the others are more manageable for them on their own.

TinTin and Asterix are also good - like reading a comic but with better stories.

castlesintheair Fri 27-May-11 14:51:11

Cressida Cowell 'How to train your dragon' etc books and the Anthony Horowitz boy private detective series such as 'South by South East' would be great for you to read together.

treas Fri 27-May-11 16:44:31

OK what is wrong with a good old Enid Blyton - Famous Five, Island of Adventure series, Rockingdown Mystery series etc ?

Children are aware they are of a different era and so know that girls are not just there to make the sarnies, but quite frankly they are a 'ruddy good yarn' and children love them. Although my ds did point out that today all the 'investigators' would need to do was use their mobiles to call the police!

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: