Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Best secondary/grammer schools in and around Manchester/Trafford area

(14 Posts)
anawee23 Wed 11-May-11 14:20:07

Hi,

Do any of you have any suggestions of where I should apply for my eldest daughter to go into secondary school, don't want to send her somewhere that isn't as good as her primary school, or that has a bad reputation or poor statistics.

Thanks.

TheSecondComing Wed 11-May-11 22:58:01

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

anawee23 Wed 11-May-11 23:09:45

yeah, we are catholic and she is working hard and putting in the extra efforts in the hope that she does pass the entrance exams,

thanx

TheSecondComing Wed 11-May-11 23:38:01

anawee23 Fri 13-May-11 19:32:41

Thanks x

ohmydear Sun 15-May-11 17:35:41

Isn't Altrincham the best or are they all as hard to get into as each other?

winniemum Sun 15-May-11 19:06:38

Loreto is a great Catholic school. It's entrance exam is more English based than the Altrincham Grammar exam. I wouldn't say Altrincham GS is the best school. It's the hardest to get into, but that doesn't make it any better than the rest. BTH the catholic high school also has great teachers too.

ohmydear Sun 15-May-11 19:19:24

are they all a similar standard of exam to get into or is altrincham much harder?

TheSecondComing Sun 15-May-11 20:23:42

littleshebear Sun 15-May-11 21:01:27

My children go to Altrincham schools, both girls and boys.The exams were harder for these than Ambrose/Loreto or Sale, which they did as well- but not loads harder. To be honest though, they are all good schools and you need to see which one would suit your child best. My children are really happy at school and I have never felt they are being pushed unduly, high standards but happy schools with lots of activities and good facilities.

meeliesmum Sun 15-May-11 21:18:37

My nephew has really blossomed at BTH. The staff seem to have a really caring approach. We were very worried about how he would cope with the change from tiny primary,but no need. The staff were great.

TheSecondComing Sun 15-May-11 21:58:13

winniemum Mon 16-May-11 19:24:20

Agree, choice of school definitely depends on your child. I think nearly all the schools round Trafford have good reputations.
Loreto school certainly isn't a convent anymore !!! There are no nuns at the school at all, not sure why it wouldn't suit someone now just because it once had nuns in the dim and distant past. IMO it's a great school as there is such a good choice of extra curricular activities and even if your child isn't the brightest they get lots of help along the way.

Vidskamath Wed 11-Nov-15 07:22:07

Hi, we are moving to Manchester from India and my daughter is in 6th form . Can some suggest a good school and place to live. We also have a pet dog (lab) :-)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now