Talk

Advanced search

Moving to kingston...any outstanding primary school

(8 Posts)
sassyminder Thu 28-Apr-11 11:05:51

I am looking for properties in Kingston. Could someone please enlight me with outstand or good primary schools preferably on the 85 bus route, so I can search a proper location? I just go to kingston to shopping so I am not very familiar with the area, but my hubby will commute to putney by 85 so we need to be close a bus stop too as he works late in the night often. Thanks in advance!

GiddyPickle Thu 28-Apr-11 11:41:48

The catchment areas are teeny-weeny in Kingston - they have numerous bulge classes for 2011 as there weren't enough places to go around originally so you are wise to do your homework in advance.

The very oversubscribed ones (if that offers an insight into how good or well thought of they are) are:
Alexandra Infant School in KT2 (237 applicants for 60 places)
Coombe Hill Infant School in KT2 (319 applicants for 90 places)
Fern Hill Primary School in KT2 (259 applicants for 60 places)
Latchmere School in KT2 (337 applicants for 90 places)
St Lukes in KT2 (119 applicants for 30 places)

St Lukes is the one I've heard of purely based on reputation (fantastic) but I have no idea if it's near a bus stop I'm afraid.

MrsMipp Thu 28-Apr-11 12:09:33

I used to live in Kingston and catch the 85 bus... If my memory serves me correctly your best bet would be to aim to be in catchment of Alexandra infant. All the other really good Kingston schools are further to the North and therefore further from the bus. The St Lukes catchment as far as I'm aware is tiny but probably not too much of a walk from an 85 bus stop.

Whilst Kingston schools are horribly oversubscribed, bear in mind that the figures quoted above are for all preferences and many will have put six down on their forms. The raw numbers can be a bit misleading.

GiddyPickle Thu 28-Apr-11 12:13:41

Looking at the map Alexandra School near to Kingston hospital looks your best bet. The 85 bus goes up Kingston Hill and that school is practically on the route.
St Lukes would be possible (if you made sure you lived halfway between bus stop on Kingston Hill but still near enough to get a place and if you met their other criteria) and St Pauls is close to Kingston Hill too. That one is Good (the others are all oustanding schools).

I was curious as I haven't shopped in Kingston for ages but I don't remember ever seeing any schools there not even when travelling through Kingston. They are all tucked in tiny residential roads by the look of it.

Annelongditton Thu 28-Apr-11 14:32:38

We used to live in North Kingston, there really isn't a bad school there. South Kingston however is a very different story. You need to check which catchment area you are in very carefully, particularly as you head for the town centre, otherwise you will find that St Lukes/Alexandra have been filled by siblings and you have just missed the cut off for Latchmere. You will then be directed towards King Athelstan in South Kingston, which is a very different story - see league tables and the ofsted report.
North Kingston is very densely populated which is why we moved to Long Ditton and you will be amazed by how many school places are needed.

Annelongditton Thu 28-Apr-11 14:33:32

We used to live in North Kingston, there really isn't a bad school there. South Kingston however is a very different story. You need to check which catchment area you are in very carefully, particularly as you head for the town centre, otherwise you will find that St Lukes/Alexandra have been filled by siblings and you have just missed the cut off for Latchmere. You will then be directed towards King Athelstan in South Kingston, which is a very different story - see league tables and the ofsted report.
North Kingston is very densely populated which is why we moved to Long Ditton and you will be amazed by how many school places are needed.

goodvibes Sun 02-Oct-11 19:15:35

Hi to all! I see that this post is old but if anyone is reading this I would love some advice on how to obtain 'applications to places' data. Thanks so much x

crazygracieuk Mon 03-Oct-11 08:09:15

I applied a couple of years ago and the data was published in the admissions booklet which is available in printed form and problem on the council website.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now