Talk

Advanced search

URGENT Advice: Royal Masonic School Rickmansworth

(20 Posts)
LostinSuburbia Tue 19-Apr-11 11:49:03

Does anyone have any recent first hand experience with this school and specifically Cadogan House (Juniors)?
DD offered a place but ISI report 6 years old. I have one week to decide whether to accept or not. There has been some previous comments that suggests the school does not support the brighter pupils so well. Feedback most welcome. Have posted already but got no response. Can anyone help? Thanks

CeciC Tue 19-Apr-11 14:26:03

Hi, Have friends in RMS, and they are very happy with the school. They have 2 DDs and older one is very bright and I never heard any complaints about the school. Comparing results (A levels and GCES) there are other schools with average higher results.
Sorry I don't have more inside knowledge.
Good luck with your decision

LostinSuburbia Wed 20-Apr-11 20:14:03

CeciC thanks so much for your response. That info is certainly helpfull. Does anyone else have any info on RMS juniors (Cadogan House)??? Responses are very much appreciated. Thanks

moodymama Wed 20-Apr-11 21:17:41

It's not the most academic school, but is apparently very nice and friendly. My info is from 15-20 yrs ago though!

LostinSuburbia Thu 21-Apr-11 17:02:50

Thank you moodymama.

Bucharest Thu 21-Apr-11 17:05:49

Nothing useful or relevant, I taught a summer school there many years ago.....my impression though that it was a happy place. (some of the older students helped us out and were very positive nice kids)

Fond memories!

stikmatix Thu 21-Apr-11 17:23:56

I have no recent experience of the school, but the current Headmistress is a former teacher of mine. She was Head of Sixth Form at my school (OK we are going back 15 years as I finished in 96), and she also taught me History A-level. IMHO she is an amazing person and I would send my kids to any school under her Headship (except that we got back from living abroad at a strange time and then DD1 got into my old school, and now DD2 has been accepted there for Sept. If not, I would've called RMA to see if there was space). The Head of RMS was actually my inspiration to apply to Cambridge (I got in too!), as I liked and respected her so much, and I always considered that she was a distinct individual.

What year would your DD be going into and what other offers are you holding or considering?

LostinSuburbia Thu 21-Apr-11 20:09:54

stikmatix thank you for your advice. I think you are refering to Diane Rose the head of the senior school. My dd will be starting reception so I doubt that Ms Rose will have much involvement with the Juniors. I do like the school and people often say that it is happy place. Does anyone have recent info about the Junior school Cadogan House RMS?

stikmatix Fri 22-Apr-11 14:07:23

Ms Rose is awesome! I don't know who is head of juniors though....You were lucky to get a place. A lady I know tried her daughter a few years back, and it was their first choice. She said that after all the sisters got places there were only 5 places left for non-siblings! Consequently her daughter didn't get a place at RMS, but got an offer at St Helen's. I find that kind of ironic!!!

I don't think you'd go wrong by sending your DD to RMS, I'm interested to know what your alternative choice is! Indeed, it would be nice if someone would give some recent info on Cadogan, as it's always nice to hear things first hand...

LostinSuburbia Mon 25-Apr-11 21:00:25

Thanks again stikmatix.

100lilgreen Mon 25-Apr-11 22:53:42

what is your alternative choice to RMS?

fijones Sat 17-Jan-15 18:02:12

Just as an update as this thread is still quite live, considering I searched on this topic and it came up on the first page on Google!.. Mr Connors is the new Head Master for Cadogan - he came from Harrow International school this year so I think there will be even more of a push to get girls into pre prep and prep in the future as this is a high calibre appointment. RMS is a great school, and looks at the happiness and development of the girls, not just academia. It is difficult to benchmark with, say, St Helen's, as Cadogan do not admit purely on an academic basis, so whilst the girls may seem to be doing better academically in other schools, it is impossible to say as they test for different things - more girls seem to drop from St Helen's though due to pressure from near hand experience. That said, I do not want to detract from the fact that it is one of the best academic schools in the country! So - if you want to push for straight A's come what may: St Helen's, but if your child is naturally bright and you want exposure across the board my vote is with Cadogan - I shall have to see if my LO gets in though... 2 weeks to wait!

Nemo09 Mon 09-Feb-15 16:29:35

I think this is quite an old thread but might be useful. Our daughter has been there a few years and it has been incredibly disappointing. The concept of the 'whole girl' just doesn't follow through. Lots of mean girls and exclusion and very little done by the head of either the main school or prep school. The school is neither very academic nor nurturing. Sadly we were initially impressed by the flashy grounds/facilities and didn't dig deeper, which we now regret.

Motherhen8 Thu 12-May-16 19:36:25

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Cantgetgirly Mon 23-May-16 15:55:39

Cantgetgirly Mon 23-May-16 16:06:02

Cantgetgirly Mon 23-May-16 16:33:26

28bella Tue 24-May-16 16:15:01

My daughters loved RMS. They were happy, had lovely friends, the staff went out of their way to help them succeed and find their strengths both personally and academically. Very creative, and musically interested girls have been assisted to do well academically too; one achieved 4 A grades at A Level last summer, which she would not have got anywhere near without the nurturing approach of staff.

Dah582 Wed 25-May-16 12:33:06

Our daughter has attended RMS for over eight years and I can say whole heartedly that she has blossomed in every way possible. Not only in her academic approach and ability, but more importantly as an individual, embracing the many opportunities and experiences at RMS, and developing friendships that will last a lifetime.

If you want your daughter to flourish, with independence, self-confidence, manners, emotional intelligence and an ability to communicate effectively with all ages, then I would totally recommend this school.

Whilst grades may help secure the interview, it is the person and their character that sets them aside from others and secures them the position.

destiny1a Tue 07-Jun-16 17:36:00

Ok mums - need help!

My mind is boggling wth all that I have read and totally confused now! I need help;

Can anyone please help me wth pros or cons or candid views on these schools.

Rickmansworth cadogan house. Aldenham school and manor lodge ?

Does anyone rate anyone over the other or have really strong views?

Thanks

My head is in a spin !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now