Talk

Advanced search

North London private primaries

(15 Posts)
littletinkers Mon 18-Apr-11 09:43:11

Hello we are currently thinking of sending our son to a private primary as it looks as if we are not in catchment for a local school. Does anyone know what good schools there are in Islington, Crouch End, Highgate, Muswell Hill areas, Hampstead too I guess. Thanks.

2stressed Mon 18-Apr-11 22:25:22

south hempstead? Habs?

methodsandmaterials Mon 18-Apr-11 22:27:11

UCS (Hampstead) is a really nice school. Isn't South Hampstead girls only?

ConstantlyCooking Mon 18-Apr-11 22:57:29

Highgate, Norfolk House in Muswell Hill, heading north you have Grimsdell/Belmont and Goodwyns in Mill Hill. Woodside Park International in Finchley. Lots in Hampstead (but the school run in a nightmare).

timetomove Mon 18-Apr-11 23:23:22

Arnold house
The hall
Highgate
UCS
Herewood (hereward?) house

co2 Tue 19-Apr-11 12:23:28

Avenue Pre-prep - only to age 7 though.

SkipHop Tue 19-Apr-11 23:40:50

Norfolk House, in Muswell Hill.We viewed but really did not like it at all. Extremely formal, found Head Teacher aloof. The interview itself felt strained,and we did not get to see any children or meet any staff. Also, they dont have any after school ,so if you work you would have to arrange a Nanny or Child Minder.Decided not for us, have subsequently heard is a bit Muswell Hillbling and WAGS

Salcombe,Viewed this too.The Head Teacher is quite austere and they have had a lot of changes 3 Head teachers in @6years. Salcombe has new head teacher arrived 2009,lots of staff changes and unhappy parents. lots of upheaval.also junior school on separate site so bit estranged from "big school". Thought it lacked facilities. Having looked at Salcombe and talked to current parents and Head Teacher ,and we we were put off. HT Mrs Leach is an imposing New Zealander brought in by Cognita as rescue HT after various problems at Salcombe. She had been out of teaching and then returned to teaching.

St Johns We did not look so don't know about it

Have heard Vita et pax is good,but we didnt view it

Keble, Recent open days and met staff.We were impressed.

Karoleann Wed 20-Apr-11 06:17:04

What age is your LO? You probably need to call round all local schools and see which ones will still let you put your name down for a place. The hall for example is lovely, but you have to put their name's down before 1.
UCS is only from 7+, but they have a nursery departement called The Phoinex.
I've a friend who's little boy is at Norfolk and is very happy. Northbridge House is another option, I've 3 friends with children in reception there and they all seem very happy.

100lilgreen Wed 20-Apr-11 13:47:03

i would definitely consider highgate school! fantastic. ucs is good too, but i wouldnt say as good. also in hampstead, excellent ones are LYNDHURST! also the Hall, which is like the 'london eton prep', sends most boys on to eton, harrow or st pauls. for a more relaxed feel, try trevor roberts. there are so many

100lilgreen Wed 20-Apr-11 13:47:36

i would definitely consider highgate school! fantastic. ucs is good too, but i wouldnt say as good. also in hampstead, excellent ones are LYNDHURST! also the Hall, which is like the 'london eton prep', sends most boys on to eton, harrow or st pauls. for a more relaxed feel, try trevor roberts. there are so many

littletinkers Sat 23-Apr-11 20:09:38

thanks all - we tried highgate for nursery but they didn't get in. Will try again at 7. Lyndhurst looks very good - we have a girl too who we need to consider. Is there a good girl's pre-prep in Hampstead? Thanks for all the help.

Also do you have any advice on how I can find out about tutoring to get into private schools at 7? I know one local mum, maybe two who can help but of course it's a bit of a closed shop. thanks!

allsie Sun 24-Apr-11 18:24:19

we are sending DD to a tutor in Hampstead and are quite happy with the progress. Do let me know in case you need her contact details

2stressed Thu 12-May-11 22:51:23

Know a great tutor with amazing record in Harrow.

100lilgreen Fri 20-May-11 18:41:02

know this is quite out of date, but a fantastic pr prep for girls is sarum hall, amazing. also st christrophers but quite pushy. st marys - rc though. village, but quite a strange school. sarum hall is great

pinkalish Mon 22-Aug-11 14:37:57

Message deleted by Mumsnet.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: