Talk

Advanced search

West Hill primary school wandsworth

(8 Posts)
RunningGuerita Sat 26-Mar-11 14:04:57

Anyone with any experience of this school??? Thanks for sharing if you have.

RunningGuerita Tue 29-Mar-11 15:24:40

bump

asha192 Sun 18-Sep-11 17:15:59

I would also love to hear what the other mums feel about this school...

brihoney Mon 21-May-12 13:32:06

ok, so being very naughty and cross posting (sh, don't tell anyone) but desparate to hear about this school:

We've been offered a place there for reception, but it wasn't our first choice, and I can't make my mind up about it.

On one level it has a pretty good ofstead report although it is 'good' not 'outstanding', it does say there are a lot of non-native english speakers, but I found this article about the creative teaching there:

www.guardian.co.uk/education/2009/may/26/creativity-schools

On the one hand I worry that it might struggle with lots of pupils coming and going (recent immigrants put up temporarily then moving on), and with lots who don't speak english very well (2/3s is it?) but I would be keen for my son to go to a mixed school with lots of cultures and races. So I don't know if my concerns are being a bit blinkered and middle classed.

I think maybe because of the challenges the school has, it might have some really outstanding teachers and what sounds like a really good head (their last head went on to be current head at Belleville and I think he's widely respected...) and they are putting lots of energy into innovative good teaching...
Maybe I'm being crazy to turn my nose up at the school, it could be the next belleville of the area.

There is also the fancy design of one of the class rooms:
www.viewpictures.co.uk/Details.aspx?ID=143717&TypeID=1

Please please - are there any parents out there with children at Westhill who can help me?

Tira123 Tue 19-Jun-12 12:57:10

My son has just gotten a place there too and I'm in the exact same mindset. Has anyone gone to visit the school?
Any info / feedback / review would be welcome....

Louby40 Mon 02-Jul-12 14:04:41

I know this is an old thread but my Son goes to West Hill and I would be more than happy to discuss any concerns/misgivings anyone may have about sending their child there so if there are any further questions then please do not hesitate to get in touch. I certainly speak very highly of the school; children and staff.

bakermom Wed 04-Jul-12 09:52:14

Thank you so much Louby40. We went to visit the school yesterday. My main concern is that the Reception classes are situated in a corner of the ground floor and look extremely crowded and dingy. Even the outside play area is completely cemented over, so wondering about injuries.

I was wondering how my child will manage in it.

Louby40 Mon 05-Nov-12 17:56:19

Hi Bakermom!
I did not get your reply so I have only just seen your comment whilst replying to another Mum today. I am glad you went to see WHS as it deserves a look round. I had the same issue as you re crowded in reception but they stagger the class play time so this limits the problem. As far as I know the playground was re-vamped in Summer and regarding my own Son he never had an accident whilst at play.. shouldn't happen if monitored effectively. However, I am guessing as it is November you have already settled your son in somewhere!? I apologise for not getting back sooner.. as a big fan of the school I would have been happy to help with any queries.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now