Talk

Advanced search

Homework Clubs - For or Against ?

(4 Posts)
lorrainelb Tue 11-Jan-11 10:15:20

Homework is getting harder and more of it. the nanny's english is just not good enough and even I struggle with the maths. Great homework club locally, but there is a cost. Worth it?

crazygracieuk Tue 11-Jan-11 10:33:35

If I couldn't manage primary school homework, I would get myself better educated. (I'm assuming that you don't have the same maths homework as Solo2 though.)

My junior school aged children do most homework on their own. If they need help it'll be like taking them to the library to get books and getting stationery supplies for projects.

jacquiel Tue 11-Jan-11 10:37:12

I would send in a letter to the teacher or talk with teacher if possible about the homework getting harder and if DC possibly isnt understanding properly in class, and ask what they suggest.

AMumInScotland Tue 11-Jan-11 11:06:41

I'm of the opinion that children ought to be able to do the homework they are set - if they regularly can't do it, then the teacher can't be explaining it well enough in class! The parent's job is only to encourage them to sit down and do it, not get distracted, point out where the dictionary is, etc.

So, I don't think paying for a homework club should be needed. If they're really struggling and not keeping up with the class, then maybe there's a place for tutoring, but even then I'd be taking it up with the teacher instead.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now